ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Race (1965)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you talk about the difference in "style" about the acting of the past compared to the more realistic style of today you really touch upon a very key point. The style of the past was a bit separated from reality. In other words it replied more to the idealistic emotional feeling of the audience than to the strictly more realistic tedious reality of todays presentations. It responded more to intristic , internal feelings than just viewing the "reality" of the story.

For me...I'll take the film that affects more of my emotions than one that reflects my everyday reality!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Also there's the fact that in the 1930s and 1940s the actors delivered their lines and portrayed their character's emotions somewhat like "stage actors".

This practice slowly diminished through the late 1940s and early 1950s, and acting styles became less "theatrical" by the 1960s.

However, by the 1980s, older movie goers (like me) began to complain that actors seemed to mumble or whisper their lines — which I suppose was a deliberate attempt NOT to seem like stage actors, and thus to portray their characters more "realistically".

Unfortunately that attitude ignores the fact that good acting is a form of communication, and therefore the dialog needs to be well understood by the audience, and the characters' emotions need to be clearly portrayed, even when it requires a bit of exaggeration.

I guess a good example of this change in styles might be the difference between the way Sean Connery played James Bond and Daniel Craig plays him. Connery portrayed the character's range of emotions, depending on the scene; calm, whimsical, witty, troubled, angry, or disturb.

With Daniel Craig we get calm . . . and calmer. Rolling Eyes

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For decades, swashbucklers have presented epic sword fights. Cool

And yet, the one in this fine comedy is arguably one of the very best.

It comes during a portion of The Great Race which skillfully parodies The Prisoner of Zenda, and director Blake Edwards succeeds in presenting a more exciting duel than either of the two versions of that story.

Watch the clip below and marvel at every aspect of this scene, right down to the ominous and low-key music by Henry Mancini, and the brief shot of the dueling shadows on the wall — a clear tribute to Michael Curtiz and his epic duel in The Sea Hawk — a clip of which I've included below for comparison.

____________ The Great Race swordfight scene

___________ The Sea Hawk (1940) Sword Fight

Another contender for Best Sword Fight would be the one below from The Mark of Zorro.

____ Zorro 1935 - Tyrone Power & Basil Rathbone

However, my favorite sword fight in an Errol Flynn movie is the climax to the best Flynn swashbuckler of them all! The brutal and highly satisfying climax when Flynn slays the villain gives me chills every time I see it!

______________ Adventures of Don Juan(1948)

However, the one sword fight which presents the most savage and riveting battle between two men — each determined to kill each other — is the climax to Prince Valiant. It's the complete polar opposite of the elegant and beautiful duel between Tony Curtis and Ross Martin.

The broad swords in this long and mesmerizing assault aren't being wielded with graceful skill and fluid movements. No, sir . . . they are simply steel clubs which each man is using to batter his opponent to death!

Notice the way both men's shields are quickly reduced to mangled metal during the battle!

Robert Wagner and James Mason are like WWII battleships which are firing explosive shells at each other, both grimly determined to blow the other ship out of the water! Shocked

Behold . . .

___________ Prince Valiant (1954) Sword Fight

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
Also there's the fact that in the 1930s and 1940s the actors delivered their lines and portrayed their character's emotions somewhat like "stage actors".

This practice slowly diminished through the late 1940s and early 1950s, and acting styles became less "theatrical" by the 1960s.

To this day I've felt that life is complete with a "sound track". The movies of my youth were always accompanied with soundtracks and themes and my life going forward has always had them as well. Possibly it's just an aberration...But it's been a very real part of my reality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: