ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 3-19-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 3-19-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Custer shares his thoughts about the last man on Earth, a Tom Cruise movie that really rocks, and a man of bronze who is not Talos.

________________________________________________[/size]

Doc Savage: Man of Bronze (1975)

If you go searching online for a copy of this, you are probably more likely to find a fan-edited version which cuts out the campiest bits, and adds a little background information at the start about Doc and his crew. It runs 83 minutes rather than the full 112, which is probably an improvement.

Doc is still a property liable to turn up in various media - not just reprints of the original pulp novels, but new fiction, audiobooks, and from Dynamite, his own comics series... so who knows when he will, finally, be back on the big screen?

Oblivion (2013)

I'm glad you recommended this movie - and I'm glad I didn't read past the "spoiler warning" above, as things do move on to unexpected happenings, proving that all is not how it seems.

Maybe I wasn't paying full attention, but does our hero get killed in a crash early on, to be almost instantaneously replaced by a new version, who doesn't realise that there's been any problem? The action is indeed frantic at times, and the revelations are suitably shocking. I wonder when he found the time to put together his cabin in the woods...

The blu-ray's four deleted scenes were pretty short, but a couple of them would have been good to see in the movie itself, if they didn't hurt the flow.

Like, Vika Olsen healing a bad cut in Jack's leg with a spray and then the painful mender-tool would have pre-explained what was going on later when Jack himself had to use it on a badly-injured Julia, while walking through the "archive" of the resistance, having it explained to Jack how they'd managed to save and preserve the books and paintings etc, was good - and adding a little more Morgan Freeman to the mix has to be good, right?

The Omega Man (1971)

I wonder what she thought of the Police Academy sequels...?

Anyway, back, slightly, on track, here's a scan of the cover of my copy of the original novel that formed the basis of The Omega Man, by Richard Matheson - one of his many contributions to movies and television. I see the dedication is "To Henry Kuttner, with my grateful thanks for his help and encouragement on this book." This 1964 paperback is pretty slim, by modern novel standards, ending on page 122 - the first six pages, before Chapter One begins, are not numbered. The first publication was a decade earlier, at 25 cents.

Quote:
I am the last man on Earth! I am not insane! I don't know how much longer I can last out! Every night they surround my last stronghold, these vampires from another world. In the darkness, they scream obscenities at me. No matter how many I kill, still they come at me. How long before they reach me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: