ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-7-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-7-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

I didn't goof, folks. There are two posts from the thread for World Without End because theY each offer interesting comments that are worthy of replies.

The third post below is for a favorite movie of mine, Evolution, a wild sci-fi comedy that mirrors several aspects of the 1950s sci-fi classics — a meteorite falls in the desert, strange aliens comes out of the crater, the Harryhausen-type creatures are skillfully done with CGI (the stop motion of the 21st century), and the climax involves a creature almost as large at the octopus in It Came from You know Where!

Evolution (2001)

[size=20]Great job, Spikeman! Cool

I've learned from your posts that your standards are high and that you're very knowledgeable about films. If you determine that a film has flaws, you lay 'em out for all to see!

When I discovered your post about Evolution this morning, I was worried that you weren't as enamored by it as I am, and if you weren't, I knew you wouldn't sugarcoat your opinions! Sad

But as I read your post I was relieved to find that you enjoyed it and you appreciated the fact that it's sole purpose was to take several beloved concepts from classic movies like It Came from Outer Space and 20 Million Miles to Earth, and pit the alien menace against a team of unlikely heroes who seem to do everything wrong . . . except the part where they save the Earth! Very Happy

For me, the goose-pimple moment of pure hero worship is when the team of misfits come together, and the two rotund brothers prove they're much smarter than anybody realized.

That scene begins this fun series clips below from the climax, and it ends with the Head and Shoulders plug, proving that sci-fi movies promote education, bravery, team spirit, and hair that's shiny and flake free!
Cool

______________ Head & Shoulders in Evolution

World Without End (1956)

I found a nice site devoted to Rod Taylor with a short but interesting article (with great pictures) about this film. Click on their banner to see the article. At the bottom of the article is a link to the main page for The Complete Rod Taylor Site, which includes info about Rod's career in TV series, movies, and radio, plus a gallery of photos and nine different biographies about Rod!

The article includes an excerpt from the July 1986 interview with Mr. Taylor in Starlog Magazine. Fortunately that entire article is available on Archive.org, although the clarity of the scans isn't quite as good as we'd like. Sad

I sharpened the jpegs I made from the site as much as I could and then posted them below. If you zoom in on them close enough they'll look like this enlarged section, and they're certainly readable.

The article contains some interesting items about Rod, such as the fact that he trained to become an artist, attending the Sydney Technical and Fine Arts College, "where he won several awards as a technical engineer".

While painting backdrops for department store windows, he listened to Australian radio soap operas and decided he could act a lot better than what he was hearing on the programs! Very Happy

He auditioned for one of the soap operas, got the job, and he eventually gave up painting!

One of his earliest film roles in Australia was his portrayal of Israel Hands, and 85-year-old man in the 1954 production of Long John Silver (the other movie in which Robert Newton played the famous pirate he made famous in Disney's Treasure Island (1950).

The films was distributed by Warner Bros, and they contacted the producers about asking the "old man" who played Israel Hands to come to Hollywood! That's how convincing Rod was in the role! But when studio representatives from Warner Bros met Rad at the airport they stunned to discover he was handsome 25-year-old!

He landed decent roles in several movies in 1955, and in 1956 Rod acquired his first significant support role in World Without End!

There's more juicy stuff in the Starlog artical, so I hope guys will read it.

Click on each image to get the large, sharp, fully "Brewsterized" version! Very Happy

]

World Without End (1956)

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: Does this movie's premise seem to suggest ideas for a sequel? Confused

Oh boy, THIS one is just itchin' for a sequel!? Shocked

At the end of the movie we see our heroes assisting the Future Folks (both normals and mutants) begin a new life on the surface, working together to make the first of a series of structures, while one of the astronauts — Christopher Dark as Hank Jaffe — becomes a teacher for the children of the Future Folks, a very personal project to help him deal with the loss of the family he left behind in the past.

One sexy aspect of this story is the way the movie clearly states that the women are all gorgeous and eager for some good lovin’, while the male population are whimpy little guys who don’t contribute much to the gene pool.

Our studly astronauts are therefore duty bound to improve the race by shagging ever gal in sight and adding some he-men to the population. (Hell, it’s a thankless job, but somebody's gotta do it!) Wink

And, of course, the cavemen-like normal folks who were enslave by the mean old mutants will now be living in a high-tech social system where they can enjoy nice clothes, plenty of food, and good medical facilities — which means the cavegirls might clean up real nice and receive some beauty tips, along with a thorough make-over from those drop-dead gorgeous ladies we see in the movie.

My point is that the hot scenes in World Without End with Hugh Marlow and Nancy Gates, not to mention Rod Taylor and Shawn Smith, will get even hotter in the sequel!

Story-wise we’ve got a wealth of characters for our sequel, as well as dramatic possibilities that make this concept a playground for writers! The lusty caveboys and cavegirls will tend to intimidate the timid Future Folks (both the men and even the women to some degree), so we can have lots of interesting conflicts in this new expanded social system.

But what will the gist of the story be?

In the movie we hear Hugh Marlow ask the Future Folks to help them repair their rocket so they can cruise around the Earth and find other pockets of civilization. If that happens in the sequel, Hank the school teacher might decide to stay home and reinvent teacher "tenure" while he keeps his wives happy and busy raising his new kids.

The older fellow, Dr. Eldon Galbraithe, might be busy with scientific research and a few lady friends of his own (in one scene he expressed great appreciation for the female attention he was getting).

So that would leave Hugh and Rod to go off on an adventurous rocket ride.

They could invite along a former caveman and cavewoman who want travel and see the world, and these hearty folks (recently rescued from a savage life) would be well equipped to help deal with other tribes of mutants-and-enslaved-normal-folks which the explorers encounter.

These two former cavepeople would dress in a curious blend of old and new garments to remind use of their “roots”. Their grasp of English would be colorfully primitive, despite the fact that they’re both very intelligent.

What these adventurers might find out there in the world could be anything from the remnants of a 20th century city with thousands of desperate survivors barely clinging to existence amid the rubble, to a futuristic city that floats above a savage land of mutated animals (monsters) and savage cavemen!

]

Wow, with possibilities like these to choose from I could happily write two or three sequels for World Without End! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: