ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-10-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-10-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

A TV series I'm interested in (but haven't watched yet), a spoof of 50s classics I had high hope for (but was disappointed), and a movie about mean little fish which don't treat women like ladies . . . they treat the ladies like sea food! Shocked

Piranha 3D (2010)

Watch the trailer and you'll see that this movie has excellent FX, beautiful photography, several familiar stars, and an interesting concept — a newly-formed fissure at the bottom of a lake opens up into to a magnificent underwater cave.

______________________ Piranha 3D (2010)

And it has a powerful premise: prehistoric piranha, long thought extinct, invade a scenic lake during the peek tourist season.

The sum total of all these positive points is . . . a movie so much more disturbing than Jaws that I don't dare watch it! Shocked

And yet I was stunned by the way the critics dove right in and ate it up! (So to speak . . . Rolling Eyes) Here are the reviews from Wikipedia.

Empire gave the film three out of five stars, saying "Remember the film you hoped Snakes on a Plane would be — his is it! By any sane cinematic standards, meretricious trash . . . but thrown at you with such good-humoured glee that it's hard to resist. It's a bumper-sticker of a movie: honk if you love tits and gore! Honk honk honk."

Christy Lemire, film critic for the Associated Press, said "Run, don't walk:
Piranha 3D [/b]is hilariously, cleverly gory. Mere words cannot describe how awesomely gnarly Piranha 3D is, how hugely entertaining, and how urgently you must get yourself to the theatre to see it. Like, now."

HollywoodLife.com called the film "a campy masterpiece of a movie", adding "If you have an ounce of fun in your body, you will love this movie about killer piranhas that overtake a town of hotties – in 3D!"

Peter Hall of Cinematical.com said "The gore, the nudity, the language, the gags, the characters — it's all always on the rise. Just when you think things could not possibly get more ridiculous, that the film has peaked, Aja and screenwriters Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg manage to ram another syringe of adrenaline into its heart."

The Hollywood Reporter referred to the film as "a pitch-perfect, guilty-pleasure serving of late-summer schlock that handily nails the tongue-in-cheek spirit of the Roger Corman original . . ."

Okay . . . so now I don't know WHAT to do!
Confused

Alien Trespass (2009)

Perhaps this wonderful concept will turn out to be flawed in some manner and it will spoil my boundless enthusiasm for it after reading BoG's review, along with about half of the Wikipedia summary.

But I've put this movie on my Netflix list and it should arrive by this weekend.

The trailer looks wonderful, and the story is very imaginative (based on the portion of the summary I read), so maybe . . . just maybe . . . this will be good.

Gee, I wish there was an All Sci-Fi member who could watch it with me in the Chat Room. (* sigh *) Sad

_________

I'm pleased to report that an IMDB user named tommylarc posted an extremely well-written comment. He doesn't just claim he enjoyed the movie, he describes in detail all the reasons why any fan of the sci-fi classics from the 1950s will adore this film! Very Happy

He gives the movie 10 out of 10 stars. Here's Tommy's complete comment. Cool

Loved the movie

I attended the premiere of "Alien Trespass" last night and I wanted to share a thought or two.

Authentic is the first word, which comes to mind. The sets, the period pieces, the language, the automobiles, everything was beautifully realized, developed, researched to create the "authenticity" of small town America in 1957.

Humor, well, it goes without saying. The script was superb.

"Great Dick" "The Goata is a biomorphic being cable of making itself invisible" "Paranoid camera" " The Edsel will be around forever" "I had a pipe"

Execution, Direction, Lighting, Timing, all superbly done, top notch and professional. It was crafted beautifully.

I left the movie theatre with a sense of delight and chuckle. My older sister remarked how she remembers playing on the Electrolux when we were kids skidding around the living room like a sleigh. The colorful jackets, the housewife, the pipe, The 3 holed Buick (not a four holed Century) all fond memories as a kid growing up. The illusion of a better time,

Emergence (2019)

I'm not familiar with this new ABC series, so I looked it up and found this on Wikipedia. Only three episode have aired to far, and the fourth one will air on October 15th. Here's Wikipedia's description of the premise.

A police chief on Long Island's Peconic Bay takes in a young child whom she finds near the site of a mysterious accident, but soon discovers that the girl has no memory of what has happened or who she is.

The child's mystery becomes more intense than expected when the chief starts investigating the history that led up to the accident and the questions of how and why it happened.

A series of bizarre electronic disruptions, unexplained forces and a strange cryptic symbol are also at play, all of which are related to the young girl.

Here's what the critics are saying.

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 91% approval rating with an average rating of 6.61/10, based on 23 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Led by an outstanding Allison Tolman, Emergence avoids becoming just another mystery-box mess with strongly-written characters that will keep viewers caring no matter the resolution."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: