ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-18-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-18-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

A modern classic from the 1990s, a fantasy/sci-fi from the 1980s, and a 1950s classic that shouldn't have been colorized be because the monster looks like a beautiful graphite drawing.

You know, like this one. Cool

And I suggested that if they'd made the color more vivid, it would have looked like this, which I like. Then Harryhausen could have made a Technicolor sequel called 20 Million Miles FROM Earth!

_______________________________________________ [/size]

Krull (1983)

Pow wrote:
[size=20]It is indeed a fun movie, Bud, but wouldn't it be classified as fantasy and not sci~fi?

A fair point, sir. Very Happy

But plot elements such as the way the Black Mountain the satan-like creature lives in comes to the planet Krull by traveling through space in the opening scene — along with the way the weapons his soldiers use shoot blaster-like bolts — would suggest that this might be a case of the old saying, "Any technology which is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic".

Admittedly there's plenty of elements which certainly seem like pure magic, like those Clydesdale horses that fly and emit fire from their hooves, and the funny little sorcerer who recites working magic spells from his notes.

Therefore, the movie is obviously a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, so we'd be inaccurate if we classified it as all fantasy and no sci-fi.

And finally, lets bare in mind that according to the website at this link, In 2015, George Lucas himself declared that "Star Wars isn't a science-fiction film, it's a fantasy film and a space opera".

Star Wars, of course, has numerous sci-fi elements and just a few subtle fantasy elements woven into the plot. With Krull it's the other way around.

So, I guess we might have to fudge a bit on our "mission statement" which says that ASF is Nothin' but pure science fiction.

And I feel obliged to confess that when I first came up with that tag line back in 2006 (when the first ASF was created), I was actually saying, "Lots of science fiction . . . and no straight Horror!"

My apologies, of course, to the loyal members of the Classic Horror Film Board. We all have our personal preferences, I reckon. Cool
[/size]]

Galaxy Quest (1999)

[size=20Holy mackerel, I'd forgotten about that idea I posted at the top of the page back in March of 2018, and I had to re-read it!

You're right! Gee, I oughta be a writer! Very Happy

Unfortunately the death of Alan Rickman screws up my proposed sequel, too. In fact, all the actors look much older now, but I think your suggestion about a Next Generation might provide an answer to the problem.

I'll see if I can come up with something which relies on the older versions of the Fan Boys (and girls) in the movie, who could become the New Crew of the NSEA Protector and venture into space on this new mission.[/size] [/size]

20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Alltare and I have been having a discussion in Off Topic Discussions under the title Final Colorization Thoughts, and I offered a suggestion about the colorized Ymir that I thought I should share here as well.

My contention has always been that I loved the Ymir's slate gray color because it resembles the graphite drawings I've done.

But when they changed the Ymir's color it went from the glorious gray of polished granite —

— to this downright sickly green!

One of the things I don't like about colorization is the way the colors are rarely as vivid as they would be if the movie had been filmed in color.

So, my suggestion to Alltare was that perhaps they should have made the Ymir even MORE green — like this! Shocked

I must confess, this Irish Ymir looks pretty good! It has the look of those beautiful snakes in Asia. By a delightful coincidence, the one below is called a cyclophiops major!

Cool, eh? Cool

[/size]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: