ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-20-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-20-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Galaxy Quest, When Worlds Collide, and Forbidden Planet.

Could there possibly be three sci-fi movies that are enjoyable to discuss? Cool

If so, tell us what the are in the reply I hope you'll leave. "Cause frankly, good old All Sci-Fi hasn't exactly been overloaded with post lately. Sad

Come on, guys! Don't let me have all the fun, okay? Laughing

Galaxy Quest (1999)

Custer wrote:
Searching for a suitable picture, I came across this article from 2015 - on Time.com:

Galaxy Quest TV Series Landing on Planet Amazon

A cult-classic film has found a new home thanks to Amazon Studios.

Galaxy Quest is being developed into a TV series, and Entertainment Weekly reports Amazon will bring the 1999 sci-fi film to the small screen through its streaming service.

As the show is in the early stages of development, it is not clear yet whether the Galaxy Quest TV show will feature the original crew of the NSEA Protector. The movie’s cast included Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, and a young Justin Long.

I went looking for fresh news about this exciting idea, but here's what I found.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender: The Galaxy Quest TV Show Is on Hold

It’s been a while since we’ve heard any updates about the Galaxy Quest television show—par for the course, given how it’s been in the works for years, with the series intended to be streamed by Amazon. Writer Paul Scheer has revealed the show isn’t in active development right now because of internal problems at Paramount TV, but promises that it’s still going to happen.

Sheer went on to say Galaxy Quest could act like a continuation of the film, much like The Force Awakens did for the Star Wars. “We want to create this kind of thing that feels like this epic sequel, but a continuation,” he said. “It is continuing a story but bringing in new characters . . . One of my big fears is, what is so great about ‘Galaxy Quest’ is it’s a fish-out-of-water story, and I hate when you just go back to the same fish in the same pond. We need to kind of change it up.”

Okay, I have no idea what this project has to do with fish that aren't in the water, but I'd love to see a series that continued the Galaxy Quest story.
[/size]

When Worlds Collide (1951)

Custer wrote:
You would think that getting a spaceship or aircraft up to launching speed along a track would be a cost-effective way of doing things — perhaps using linear induction? Even using booster rockets ought to work, as, if they stayed behind and just fell into water or sand, it would be easy to re-use them for the next scheduled launch..

In When Worlds Collide they used the booster on the undercarriage and let it drop away at the end of the track.

I've always hated the fact that all our spacecraft use "throwaway" portions of the vehicles, either in the form of rocket stages or fuel tanks (like the shuttle). So, I'd want a horizontal launch system that used a separate reusable vehicle that the actual spacecraft sat on top of, one that would either be piloted or remotely controlled so it could return to the space center, land, and be used over and over again.

The launch vehicle wouldn't need to be much more than powerful rocket engines housed in an aerodynamic body that could be flown back around to the runway and land after launching the spacecraft.

I couldn't find an illustration of exactly what I'm describing, but I did find this. Nice, eh? Cool

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Maurice wrote:
As to Altair IV, in the finished film we don't see the full globe, but the Lost Footage section of the DVD shows more of it. This footage probably wasn't color timed, but that featureless pale area sure looks like a body of water, especially in the 2nd pic.

Well, sir . . . you got me. Rolling Eyes

Allowing for the obvious fact that the image is from an aging 35mm print with fading colors, I'm forced to admit that those darker, uniformly-colored areas in the lower quarter of the globe do indeed appear to be large bodies of water.

Therefore, Altair 4 is not a "desert planet".

However, I don't think anyone would deny that actual high-orbit photos of an Earth-like world with an atmosphere we could breath and large areas with liquid water, along with chlorophyll-rich plant life (thus explaining the planet's oxygen content) would just naturally look mostly like this.

After all, an ocean viewed from space through air like ours would just naturally look the way our own oceans do.

But if an alien ocean looked drastically different from ours when seen from space, there must be some fundamental differences in the planet's atmosphere and/or its oceans . . . which means it isn't quite as "Earth-like" as we thought.

The fact that Altair 4 seems so Earth-like that all the humans in the movie are quite comfortable seems to conflict with the way it appeared from space.

And also the way the sky appears from ground level.

I mean, come on, folks! A green sky that shades up to black? Confused

Don't get me wrong, folks, I wouldn't change a thing about this wonderful movie. But it seems obvious that the producers created an "alien world" with Earth-like conditions . . . without making the conditions alien enough to explain its alien appearance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: