ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-29-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-29-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

It's Saturday, the perfect day to salute monster movies, and the three movies below are pure prime rib! Cool

~ A prehistoric monster's hibernation with the polar bears is disturbed by a loud noise, a bright flash of light, and a blast of radiation — just the wake up call he needed.

~ A South Sea island is the home of giant crabs, monstrous bees, and a Big Bird that could gobble up all the Muppets on Sesame Street! Shocked

~ And finally, we're off to the Antarctic to look for more dinosaurs — but this time they're alive and well and living in a "Skull Island" style valley with an unlisted address, accessible only by a very cool helicopter with blades that can repel a T-Rex!

If the three threads for this trio of movies doesn't inspire a few replies, I'm going to have my pet triceratops shit in your front yard! Shocked

Mysterious Island (1961)

Pow wrote:
Concepts dropped from "Mysterious Island" }

The island was to have been a type of Atlantis where temples would have been discovered throughout the jungle. It was to have been a mixture of great former civilizations including Egyptian, Greek, Minoan as well as others.

Given the budget and creative talent necessary, this sounds wonderful!

Naturally we'd need to modify our cast of characters a bit to include a scientist who would understand and appreciate all these wonders, kind of a "Professor Oliver Lindenbrook" from Journey to Center of the Earth".

Pow wrote:
Not only visually would this have been fun, but it would also give the active volcano as the reason for portions of the island being destroyed previously.

Tops of enormous statues that still remained above sea level would have been discovered by the castaways.

Some of the matte shots in the Mysterious Island are a bit flawed, so I'd hope that in this version those things would be done a bit better.

Pow wrote:
One scene would have had the island going through a series of earthquakes that created enormous fissures in the ground. Prehistoric monsters would have emerged from these fissures.

Okay, I have to nix this idea for the obvious reason that prehistoric monsters do NOT get swallowed up during ancient upheavals and then wait patiently underground to be suddenly released.

Nope, sorry, uh-uh . . . that's a dumb idea. Sad

Pow wrote:
A giant prehistoric mole creature would come out of the wall of the volcano. The mole creature would then battled a huge snake with the two of 'em eventually crashing through the volcano and plunging into a lake of molten lava.

A giant prehistoric mole creature living inside the wall of a volcano would be one bad-ass mole! But if he can live in the wall of a volcano, he could probably survive in molten lava! (Either way, this is not a good idea.)

Pow wrote:
Thomas Ayrton was to have had green skin color due to his eating the giant mushrooms.

Umm . . . nope . . . this idea sucks. Period. Rolling Eyes

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

One thing that has always impressed me about the design of the rhedasaurus is the fact that it's a quadrupedal predator.

And yet, all the well-known prehistoric predators are bipedal — T-Rex, allosaurus, velocitraptor, etc. And all the well-known quadrupedal dinosaurs were herbivores. But that's not consistent with the natural order of things! Shocked

The most common bipedal animals today (like the kangaroo and the ostrich) are herbivores. But most of the predators are quadrupeds — everything from the lion to the alligator!

So, a quadrupedal predator like the Rhedosaurus is completely consistent with the natural world! Very Happy

The Land Unknown (1957)

Please take a look at my thread called Beneath Antarctica's Ice, Evidence of Lost Continents! which presents an entertaining discussion of how the concept in this movie might have been possible. Cool

It starts with scientific data about the depth of the Antarctic ice —

— and offers illustrations (by me) that show what a land UNDER the ice might look like.

Then it describes how this incredible land formed in the distant past. A computer generated image of the landmass under Antarctic is included.

Since you're a member of All Sci-Fi, you obviously like to use your noggin to ponder stuff like this. So . . . I know you'll enjoy that discussion. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: