ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-30-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-30-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Here we have two posts which discuss stop motion and one which comments on a potential reboot of Forbidden Planet — something which none of use really wants. Right?

20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect the writer of TV Guide article was keenly aware that the general public had no idea how either King Kong or the Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer special was created, and he wanted to educate his poor, clueless readers.

Frankly I wouldn't have my own keen appreciation for stop motion if I hadn't spent many hours trying to use clay models to make a few 8mm films in the 1960s.

~ Click on the image to see my animation video, with the scene shown above appearing at the 3:55 mark.

I'm sure the TV guide author understood that he was explaining a time-honored technique to a brand new generation . . . who knew nothing about it several decades after it was invented.

The Lost World (1925)

IMDB has 21 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The dinosaur miniatures were donated to the Museum of Arts and Sciences in Los Angeles. After many years the rubber models began to sulphurize and disintegrate. They were stored away and inadvertently sealed between the walls of the facility when a new wing was added.

Note from me: The Lost Dinosaurs from The Lost World. Weird, eh? Confused

~ While filming one of the stop-motion scenes, the cameraman spotted a pair of pliers in the picture. So as not to draw attention to them by having them suddenly disappear, he moved them a little at a time until they were out of the shot.

Note from me: I'd have to see this to believe it. A moving pair pliers would attract a lot more attention than one that appeared and disappeared in just a few frames. And even if it was in view for— say — five minutes, the fact that it suddenly started creeping along like a snail would insure that everybody would notice it!

Add to this the fact that there's a post in the King Kong section of the Classic Horror Film Board that comments on an alleged pair of pliers which were used as part of a stop motion model.

The first post in our own King Kong thread includes a few quotes from that discussion.

Bud Brewster wrote:
Found this on the Classic Horror Film Board.

skull island escapee wrote:
Nobody seems to have yet spotted those damned pliers that were 'converted' into a passing creature in the miniature jungle undergrowth!

Skeletonpete discovered this rare shot. Gee, I'm surprised I never noticed this before! Laughing

Another member added this funny reply.

CapnDunsel wrote:
Where? I don't see them. Are they near the little hammer that's climbing up the screwdriver?

CHFB member Tim Smyth replied, further down the thread, with this:

Tim Smyth wrote:
Nope, I don't see them either, maybe you're seeing a trick with lighting or something, but it's just not really there, like some kind of tool mirage.

Great image by the way.

I really don't think that tool incident ever happened, kind of a King Kong urban legend.

On a serious note, has anybody here at All Sci-Fi ever heard about a pair of pliers being converted into a Skull Island stop-motion model?

~ The scene where the dinosaurs flee the volcano was created on a tabletop that was 75 feet wide and 150 feet long.

Note from me: That's obviously much larger than the typical animation table. I've seen BTS shots of the animation table of Hoth used in The Empire Strikes Back, and the animators used trap doors to pop up and move the models of the tauntaun's for each frame.

I wonder if that was done in The Lost World as well.

Or perhaps the miniature landscape was built in long strips which were designed to hide several open lanes between each one. This would give the animators easy access to the models. The irregular landscape would hide the gaps between each strip when viewed from the angle at which the camera was positioned.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Eadie wrote:
The first film is the real story of what happened with the Bellerophon expedition years ago, and it’s different in important ways from what Morbius led everyone to believe had happened.

As long-time defender of Morbius' integrity — which I think is an important part of story because the shocking ending relies on him suddenly realizing things he hadn't known — I'm not too keen on the idea that the remake is going to suggest Morbius "led everyone to believe" that things happened differently than he said! Sad

Yes, Forbidden Planet is about a terrible secret, but not a secret Moribis is keeping. It's a terrible secret Morbius learns the answer to right along with everybody else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: