ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-3-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-3-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Consider the post below from the thread for John Carter, Forbidden Planet, and X - The Unknown.

One of the posts includes photographic evidence which a young explorer found that proves giant dinosaurs roamed Utah! Shocked

___

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Krel wrote:
It may have been called a Plastic Educator, not because it implanted knowledge, but because it is a tool, where the Krell were taught, learned, developed, practiced and exercised the skills they would need to operate the machine.

The Plastic Educator just could have been an exercise machine for the Krell brain.

David.

Let me get this straight. The machine taught the kids the skills they needed to . . . operate the machine. Sounds a bit circular. Confused

Seriously, David . . . that's your idea an educational device developed by a race who were a million years ahead of humankind?

You don't believe it actually boosted intelligence (even though it did exactly that for Morbius). You don't believe it implanted knowledge directly (even though Doc solved the mystery of the Krell machine in two minutes flat).

Geez, David, does that oversize PS2 do anything remotely impressive?

And this just occurred to me. If the Plastic Educator was operated by the thoughts of the user, is it really so hard to believe that it could, in a sense, "talk back" to the brain it was hooked up with?

Remember, the Krell machine was "operated by remote control, operated by the electromagnetic impulses of individual Krell brains." It had wi-fi. Gee, what futuristic idea! Laughing

And if we follow that thought to it's logical conclusion, we might consider the possibility that the Krell had no spoken language at all! They communicated with each other by telepathy.

That idea makes all this discussion about how their language sounded completely unnecessary. Besides, Morbius just said he'd decoded their written alphabet. He never said a word about their spoken language.

Egyptologist can read hieroglyphics. But nobody knows what the Egyptian language sounded like. (I looked it up.)

So, guys, let's stop thinking small and really ponder what a teaching machine could do if it was designed by a race who was "a million years ahead of humankind". Laughing

X The Unknown (1956)

I've never quite understood what the premise of the movie was. Living mud? Hmmm . . .

The Wikipedia article has a well-written synopsis which includes the paragraph below, and it explains the concept of the living mud pretty well.

Royston hypothesizes that a form of life that existed in distant prehistory when the Earth's surface was largely molten had been trapped by the crust of the Earth as it cooled; every 50 years there is a tidal surge that these creatures feel, which causes them to try to reach the surface in order to find food from radioactive sources.

I'm impressed by the way the author pitched this novel idea and made it sound interesting, even if not scientifically plausible. I guess if the Horta in the TOS episode could be alive and sentient, a mass of radioactive mud might have some sort of "neural net" inside it which gives it a from of consciousness.

Here's another excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

The creature raids the nuclear facility before the authorities can remove the radioactive cobalt to a safe distance. As a result, the creature grows even larger.

Interesting. The creature feeds on nuclear radiation, and when it eats, it actually gains mass! I suppose this might be explained by saying that the energy the creature absorbs allows it to convert normal dirt or mud into the exotic material the creature is made of.

That seems more likely than having the creature convert energy into matter . . . in this case, more mud. Confused

The movie ends in a way that suggest a possible sequel (Y The Unknown?), but I can't say I'm too disappointed that it wasn't made.
Wink

John Carter (2012)

IMDB has 54 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ While filming at Big Water in Utah, the crew accidentally discovered a 60 foot long sauropod skeleton. The state's land management bureau took over.

Note from me: Perhaps it was evidence of a Martian life form which was transported to Earth by an asteroid strike on Mars! Accept that in this case, it flew through space, like The Giant Claw! Shocked

~ Financially, the film was considered one of the largest box office losses in Disney history. Even though the film performed stronger than expected outside the US, it contributed to Disney's Studio Entertainment division reporting an $84 million loss in the first quarter of 2012.

Such a large loss was attributed to issues with marketing, management changes at the studio, and a lack of merchandising normally associated with such a large budget film. As a result, any plans for the two sequels that were already in development prior to the film's release were scrapped.

Note from me: In other words, the movie didn't fail because it wasn't good, it failed because those Micky Mouse bozo's didn't handle it right! Sad

~ The rights to the novels have since reverted back to the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate, which is still game to try to turn the books into a successful movie franchise.

Note from me: This is good news! It means that Disney can't hold it up if somebody else decides to take a crack it. Very Happy

~ Andrew Stanton has already confessed that he isn't too satisfied with how the movie turned out. He confessed that part of the problems came from a first-time live action director being "drunk with power" after receiving too much money and creative control.

Note from me: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely . . . especially in Hollywood!"

~ Willem Dafoe accepted the role of Tars Tarkas because he thought it was interesting for him to act while wearing pajamas and walking on stilts.

Note from me: I'll bet that hasn't been a casting inducement used too often in Hollywood!

"Well, guys, the money sounds pretty good, but . . . can I play the role wearing pajamas and stilts?" Cool

"Sorry, Bogie, but that's not the look we want for Rick in Casablanca." Sad

~ Robert Zemeckis turned down the chance to direct, quipping "George already pillaged all of that" with the "Star Wars" films. In other words, most of the best elements of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars fantasies had already been "borrowed" for George Lucas' space operas.

Note from me: Robert didn't seem to realize that a well-down ERB would have a very different look than Star Wars.

~ The book was written in Utah and much of the film was shot in Utah, almost 100 years apart.

Note from me: My late mother lived in Utah for several years in the 2000s, and I visited her several times, during which we took long trips to the region's many State Parks. There's some spectacular landscapes there.

And I discovered this fossilized skull of a gigantic dinosaur! Shocked

___

Yes, that's really me!
Yes, that's a fossilized skull!
(Yes, one of those statements is false. Wink)

~ The film was originally titled and marketed as "John Carter of Mars", but director Andrew Stanton removed "of Mars" from the opening credits and promotional material to make it more appealing to a broader audience, stating that the film is an "origin story . . . It's about a guy becoming John Carter of Mars." The entire title "John Carter of Mars" is displayed during the end credits.

Note from me: So, Stanton removed the " . . . on Mars" so that people who aren't ERB would also go see it. Let's see now, does that make a lick of sense?

Ummm . . . nope. Rolling Eyes

~ The change in title from "A Princess of Mars" to "John Carter of Mars," and later simply to "John Carter" is the subject of some controversy. Conflicting reasons given include that the Disney marketing department or director Andrew Stanton wanted to appeal to a broader audience, or that the studio had hoped to create a film series with the "John Carter" banner title.

Industry lore also suggests that films with "Mars" in the title tend to under perform financially, most notably Mars Needs Moms (2011) which was also distributed by Disney and proved a colossal flop for the studio. Ironically, "John Carter" would prove to be the biggest financial disappointment for Disney since "Mars Needs Moms."

Note from me: More stupidity from Mouse-brained morons at Disney. It never occurred to them that " . . . Needs Moms" was the dumb part of the title. Not "Mars"! Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: