ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-4-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-4-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Today's Featured Threads include a post about monster with a great figure and an island with bad case of crabs! Embarassed

There's also a spirited discussion in which one of the members seems to think the Krell plastic educator was little more than a fancy Speak 'n Spell — despite my earnest attempts to explain that a super-advanced race like the Krell would be able to make an educational device that would be more like the one in The Matrix which allowed Neo to learn Taekwondo is seconds flat! Shocked

____________________________________________________________________]

The Astounding She-Monster (1959)

I found two nice pictures of Miss Shirley Kilpatrick without her She Monster makeup and outfit. She's a surprisingly pretty young lady.

Attack of the Crab Monsters (1956)

Your comment started me thinking about something. There those poor castaways were, stranded on a tropical island, just the seven of them.

Gilligan and the lovely Mary Ann

The Professor and the gorgeous Ginger

Mr. Howell and his agreeable wife . . . Lovey. Wink

And finally, the cheerful Skipper.

Nothing to do all day (and all night) but to cultivate close relationships and share personal anecdotes and sing songs on the beach in the moonlight and cultivate even closer relations.

Gee . . . I wonder if they ever had trouble with crabs! Shocked

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Krel wrote:
No, I don't believe that the machine implanted knowledge in the user. There is just no evidence, or even any indication of such an action in the film.

I'll admit that my idea is extrapolated from other clues, mostly from our knowledge that the Krell were a million years ahead of us, both in their evolution and their technology.

That said, are we really content to believe that an ultra-high tech teaching device with that kind of pedigree did nothing more than make images inside a Plexiglas pyramid? Confused

Everything you said about the way the Plastic Educator worked was (forgive me) just a list of vague and generic references to what students do. Sad

Quote:
. . . the Krell were taught, learned, developed, practiced and exercised the skills they would need to operate the machine.

Seriously, you don't think that "a race of creative geniuses" (as Adams described them) who were million years ahead of us wouldn't come with incredibly new ways to do the things you said above?

All I'm saying, David, is that since we know the Krell developed some astounding machines, I don't think we need any "proof" in the movie that the Plastic Educator would be as amazing as everything else we know about the Krell.

Why should we let the limitations of a 98-minute movie from 1956 prevent us from speculating about the Krell — exactly the way any intelligent and imaginative science fiction enthusiasts should?

For Pete's sake, David, it's a Krell teaching machine — which means we probably couldn't even imagine all the things it could do! Morbius said the Krell knowledge was so vast that mankind was "not fit, as yet, to receive such knowledge, such almost limitless power."

For that reason, I can't understand why you feel so reluctant to ponder ALL the possibilities of an "ultimate Krell teaching machine".

I mean, so what if the movie never spelled out exactly how it worked it's wonders on the brilliant Krell children it was turning into god-like super-beings? But what we DO know is that if the Krell did it, by God they did it in a way that would knock our socks off! Shocked

With all do respect, David, your pedestrian version of the Plastic Educator just doesn't fit in with what we know about "this almost divine race" who created a machine which could instantly materialize anything that they mentally asked for!

And I hate say it, but the statement below by you illustrates a serious flaw in your logic.
Sad

Krel wrote:
In a way, [Doc's] expanded intellect made him a super Sherlock Holmes.

David, I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan — but his methods were only successful when he used his intelligence AND his detailed knowledge of a situation to reason out things which happened, even though he wasn't a witness to the event. He studied everything from the color of the ash of different tobaccos to the scratches on a pocket watch which proved the owner was an alcoholic! Shocked

THAT'S why I'm convinced that Doc was given a wealth of new knowledge which Morbius did not have, and that's why Doc was quickly able to solve the true nature of the Krell machine.

Your idea that he accomplished this just by being smarter simply doesn't work, because Morbius knew MUCH more about the Krell than Doc did!

I've said this before and I'll say it again; intelligence alone doesn't make a person able solve a problem! As Sherlock often said, "I need data, Watson! I cannot make bricks without clay!"

Think of it this way; what would be most incredible invention in all history concerning the expansion of people's IQs and their ability to rapidly learn new facts, new skills, and new concepts?

Obviously the answer is the same kind of Plastic Educator I've been pitching right here!

And if my concept is the absolute best WE can think of, I believe the Krell did it at least that well — if not better! I'm basing this on the way the movie describes the Krell — a race who developed technology we can't even imagine! Shocked

Heck, the last thing we should do is say, "Well, I can imagine a device which would teach that way . . . but I don't think the Krell could do it!"

Don't sell the Krell short just because Cyril Hume didn't pack the movie with a lot of details the story didn't need. Like any good writer, he left some fun things for the rest of us to do. Very Happy

So . . . by gum, let's have some fun! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: