ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moonfall (2022)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Moonfall (2022) Reply with quote

I haven't seen Moonfall yet, but it bombed at the box office, so I'll try not to expect too much. Rolling Eyes

I was a bit dismayed when I read that the premise includes the idea that the Moon contains a vast artifical environment and mechanisms that seeded the Earth with life eons ago after intelligent life was wipe out, millions of years earlier.

Damn, that's a key element of my unpublished novel Sail the Sea of Stars, which I've posted about 2/3 of here on All Sci-Fi.

I first wrote it in the earily 1980s, and I need to rewrite the last part, which is why I haven't posted all of it here, yet.

I'm happy to report, however, that the nature of the Moon is just a small part of a much more complex plot element which is both startling and original. Very Happy

Anyway, here a video about Moonfall.

_____ The Origin Of Solar System Scene Moonfall

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listverse: Director Roland Emmerich and his team used planetary sciences simulators to depict the moon careening towards the Earth would realistically look like.

From this they learned that the moon would not simply just cut a straight path for us, but would get into an elliptical orbit around the Earth that would continuously become smaller and smaller.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
From this they learned that the moon would not simply just cut a straight path for us, but would get into an elliptical orbit around the Earth that would continuously become smaller and smaller.

They needed planetary sciences simulators do find that out?

Duh! The Moon travels 2,288 miles per hour, and the only way to get it to fall straight down towards the Earth would be to stop it cold.

If it slowed just a little, it would merely drop into a new, lower elliptical orbit and be closer to the earth at perigee — at which point it would actually speed up (which is what it does now, just less so).

Frankly, discussions about revolutions and rotations make my head spin! Laughing

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

They needed planetary sciences simulators do find that out?

Duh! The Moon travels 2,288 miles per hour, and the only way to get it to fall straight down towards the Earth would be to stop it cold.

If it slowed just a little, it would merely drop into a new, lower elliptical orbit and be closer to the earth at perigee — at which point it would actually speed up (which is what it does now, just less so).

Frankly, discussions about revolutions and rotations make my head spin! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: