ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3Dee Printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: 3Dee Printing Reply with quote

Looking to start a topic on 3d printing, a favorite hobby of mine. Posting some examples now. Will detail more later.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGAD! Those are terrific!

Please tell us more about the process, like how long it takes, how many pieces are needed for each robot, etc.

Very cool, sir. Cool

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently two types of 3D printers for popular use to my knowledge. First is the printer that uses a filament. There are various types of filament with PLA being most popular. ABS is also used, and there is a nylon as well. Some material even includes a metallic for better strength.

The printer provides measured filament to a heated dispersal nozzle. This material is then placed layer by layer to form a completed item, for example a figure.

Sometimes individual segments of the figure need to be printed and then assembled to make a complete figure. The software used for these printers is called a slicer.

An item to be printed can be manipulated by scale (size) and placement on the base plate of the printer. In this way the printer will have the best opportunity to secure the first layer from which all additional layers are based.

In other words, if your object was a coke bottle you wouldn’t want to place the top of the bottle down. Nor would you want to place it on its side, but that could be done. The optimal would be to place the base of the bottle upright on the base plate of the printer. The slicing software would then divvy the entire figure into many layers and the slicing software would direct the three movements of the printer, X, Y and Z to lay down layer upon layer until the figure or part of the figure is complete.

The other type of printer uses a liquid resin which hardens when subjected to ultraviolet light. Again, layering is used but, in this case, the base plate is at the top and the liquid moves down. Layer after layer is subjected to the ultraviolet light completing the figure.

I have no experience with these resin printers. Seems this type printer would be very messy if any mistakes were made.

The layering process may take a long time. In preparing the model there are various parameters that can be selected. For example, the model could be solid or partially filled. A solid model requires more filament and takes longer. A solid piece might be needed if greater structural integrity is required, but if the model is just to look at, a solid piece would not be required. The higher the percentage for fill or solidarity takes longer but may be required if, for example, it is to be used as a casting object.

Additionally, the speed of the movement can also be set, but again trade-offs occur as a faster speed may incur printing errors. Also, other parameters are the heat of the base plate and the nozzle. Some materials require higher melting temperatures, such as nylon.

If you’re an avid 3D printer person you may want more than one printer to complete a project with each printer composing different sections of your to be assembled model. I have several printers and this shortens some of the time.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius, that's a magnificent explanation of a complex process, and I actually understand more of it than I expected! Very Happy

The video below might help neophytes like me better understand some of the things you described. It mentions one application of 3D printing that fascinated me — even though I can't for the life of me figure out how it's possible!

How they heck do they 3D print actual organs? Shocked

_ 3D Printing In Action | Watch How A 3D Printer Works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: