ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) Reply with quote

Brendan Fraser does a fine job here, just like he did in — well, all his other movies except "Dudley Do-right", which was like the bad dream Brendan couldn't wake up from.

I might have liked this one a bit better if a few more characters had gone along on the adventure, for the sake of the added character interaction, and to allow somebody other than Brendan, his nephew (Josh Hutcherson), and the cute little heroine of the tale (Anita Briem) to be in danger.

The film was designed to be little more than 3D eye candy, but it does a fine job in that area. In the days of old, when I was just a bumble-gum chewing lad, they made movies like this for Saturday matinees and drive-in movies. But the modern theater system isn't set up for that.

Today it's — "Make a blockbuster or die trying!"

This one certainly didn't die trying. According to Wikipedia, the budget was $60 million, and it raked in $242 million.

Compare this to "John Carter" — which is considered a complete disaster — with a budget of $264 million and a gross of only (!) $284 million. But Wikipedia points out that the total production and marketing costs was $350 million.

Ouch . . .

Ever wonder what would happen if Hollywood took five years off and didn't make a single movie — you know, just to find out if absence really does make the heart grow fonder?
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite trailers, partly because it mixes the scenes well, partly because it has those text blurbs which flash up periodically (almost like they did in the old days), and partly because there's not one damn "slide show" fade-to-black-and-fade-back-up moment in the whole thing!

Thank you, God . . . Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I might have liked this one a bit better if a few more characters had gone along on the adventure, for the sake of the added character interaction, and to allow somebody other than Brendan, his nephew (Josh Hutcherson), and the cute little heroine of the tale (Anita Briem) to be in danger.

I agree wholeheartedly. Specifically, I would have added at least two more adult characters and two fewer adolescent characters. Okay, so maybe they were catering to the adolescent viewer. But that just means they weren't aiming it at my age group. I outgrew yelling as a substitute for dialog a couple months ago.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I would have added at least two more adult characters and two fewer adolescent characters.

I'd vote for keeping the kid and the gal, and adding two more adults. And a duck. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: