ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOS episode #14 - The Galileo Seven
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Scotpens, for those awesome looking conceptual drawings for the Star Trek shuttlecraft that never was.

I was never a huge fan of the exterior shuttlecraft design on the TV series but I've come to appreciate it more these days.

I felt that the interior cabin for it was a bare bones set and not impressive looking at all. It was really lacking in much nifty looking technology. I realize that they probably did the best they could with the budget money they had on hand at that time in designing the interior set for the shuttle.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Delta Flyer in Voyager was a fine design, even though the fancy framework in all three view ports was pointless.

]

In some ways I preferr the smaller shuttlecraft.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Sci Fi Freak Site.

Galileo Seven continues the quality of plot and characterization as seen in the previous episodes "Balance of Terror," and "Shore Leave."

Those primitives aren't very convincing and it's clever to keep them off screen as an unseen threat, rather than reveal the inadequacies of their creation.

Sidebar: Can't quibble with this review. G7 was a good episode hampered with poor looking aliens and a terribly artificial looking planet set. Wonder why they just didn't dim the lights and have this story take place at twilight?

Such a move would have hidden the substandard creatures and world that the crew members had crashed onto. Plus save on the light bill for that week.

Fortunately what makes this episode compelling is Mr. Spock being in command and how his Vulcan approach to it all raises conflicts with the other crew members.

It also has the Vulcan science officer questioning how logic isn't always the best manner in which to fully engage command decisions. And in the shuttlecraft in the escape from the planet we see a revelation by Spock acknowledging (to himself only) his human persona can indeed come in handy while in command.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enhanced FX are awesome, especially the numerous scenes of the shuttle in space. I submit that The Galileo Seven episode is one the best examples of how the enhancements can dramatically improve the quality of the story.

For example, there are several shots in the original version which show the Enterprise just hanging in space — whereas the enhanced version has dynamic shots of it sailing along majestically.

This episode benefits greatly from the enhancement of the special effects. Cool

_ Star Trek The Galileo Seven visual effects comparison

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Marc Cushman book.

NBC press release, December 20, 1966:

The severely damaged shuttlecraft from the USS Enterprise threatens to become a tomb for its trapped crew after it crashes on a planet and loses contact with its mothership, in "The Galileo Seven" on NBC Television Network's colorcast of Star Trek Jan. 5, 1967....

Marooned and under attack by ape-like creatures, a landing party with Dr. [sic] Spock (Leonard Nimoy) in charge faces imminent death when all communications are cut off.

Meanwhile, in the orbiting Enterprise, Captain Kirk (William Shatner) must decide whether to continue the search or abandon his men to deliver emergency medical supplies to a plague-ridden planet some distance away.

Sidebar: Whoops! Looks like good old reliable TV Guide made a boo boo when referring to our Mr. Spock as Dr. Spock. I'm guessing that Leonard Nimoy heard and heard that mistake often from people, even dedicated fans who were nervous meeting him. I've never hear of any case where he was upset by it, or rude to the individual. By all accounts, Nimoy was a fine gentleman.

Sidebar: Uh oh, bad week for Billy Shatner. In the press release article, his name is listed after Leonard's name. The captain hates that kind of attention on any of his crew other than himself. Add that to it was an episode that spotlighted Spock with Kirk in a supporting role, Shatner must loathe this episode for those reasons alone. Maybe that's why guest star John Crawford found Bill a pain in the neck to deal with?
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Are The Voyages: TOS, Season One.

Don Marshall (Lt. Boma) said, "On that show, Bob Gist was the director, and he was a former acting coach of mine. And I had left his class, because I had a problem with Bob -- he wanted everybody to act like James Dean. You know, all that fidgeting and turning your back and unsure and all that. And he was asking me to play my character that way here, too. I said, 'Well, I'm playing an Astro-physicist, Bob. I can't play James Dean in this.'

And Leonard Nimoy came to me and said, 'What's going on, Don?' He could tell I was down. And I said, 'I don't know if I should say anything to you, and then explained my problem with Bob. And Leonard says, 'Okay, Don, you go ahead and play it the way you want to play it and I'll handle the director.' I'd never heard that before or since! You talk about beautiful people -- that you could be working with someone and they're concerned about you, concerned about your character, and would give you the freedom to do the best work you knew how. I couldn't ask for anything better. And that's why the character came out so strong, really, because I felt free to do whatever it was that I needed to do. And the director just backed off.

Sidebar: Leonard Nimoy was a standup gentleman by all accounts. He cared about the cast and guest-stars in a way that William Shatner rarely did.

Don was spot on regarding how ridiculous it would have been to have played his character, a scientist, like a Rebel Without a Cause, as the director insisted. Made zero sense. Leonard took charge and rectified the situation and earned Don's great admiration & respect. Interesting, given that their characters clash on the episode, but in reality, Nimoy was 100% there for Don.

The only nitpick, as I believe may have already been brought up earlier, is that Lt. Boma would not have really been that insubordinate to high-ranking officer Spock. It was done for the drama potential, of course, but it was highly unlikely a trained Star Fleet officer would have been as out of line with Mr. Spock as Boma clearly was. Note that at the conclusion of the episode, we see all the survivors but Lt. Boma on the bridge for the hardy laugh at Spock's comment, and forgetting about their two dead crew members back on the planet.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Spock would say, "Fascinating." Cool

If I remember correctly, the dramatic focus of that episode was the feeling among the crewmen that Spock was too cold and unemotional to be the kind of commanding officer they wanted in that tense situation.

Of course, Spock was doing the logical thing in each case to maximize their survival, and he had to wrestle with the puzzling fact that his human companions didn't realize why his decisions were actually the right ones.

We all know that every story must have conflict.

To convey this conflict to the viewer, it was necessary for the crewmen to express their hostility and disapproval of Spock's actions. So, if Lt. Boma had not acted the way he did, that important aspect of the story wouldn't have been clearly conveyed.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From STARLOG Magazine.

John Crawford who played High Commissioner Ferris. "I was very unhappy with Star Trek. William Shatner, the star of the series, was having an ego problem, and every time I walked on to the set, I could see it. I was not allowed to move around the set during our scenes together. He kept saying, 'No!, No! This is the bridge of the ship and we can't be moving around.' Well, that's a lot of b.s. He was always worried about people who were taller than him. He didn't want you to tower over him.

Well, I needed this like a hole in the head. I had a personal tragedy, my baby had recently passed away. I was having a bad time and then I had trouble with Shatner.

My friend, Bob Gist, was directing the episode. Now, sometimes Bob can be fun, sometimes a pain. I think he was playing it safe, he didn't want to make an enemy of the star, because after all, he might want to direct more Star Trek episodes. It wasn't free and easy like the episode I did in Lost In Space, where I could do any damn thing I wanted to do.

The first job, I think, of any director is to free the actor so that he can act with his head and to give him monumental confidence."

Sidebar: So we see in this one episode the different approaches by Leonard Nimoy & William Shatner. It has been said that some actors will ask, how do I serve the story? Others ask, how does the story serve me. On his episode we know how Nimoy asks this question, and how Shatner asks this question. Both do so in entirely different ways.

Sidebar: John was an experienced actor in films and television before guest-starring on Star Trek. He darn well knew that whenever you have scenes of dialogue between actors that the director usually brings movement of the performers into a scene. You want to make it visually interesting to the audience, you don't want to merely have actors all standing, or sitting, or a mix of both, without any movement at all. Makes for a boring scene. And Shatner knew that based upon his years on stage, film, and TV. John was correct when he said that Shatner's insistence that John not move on the bridge was a bunch of bull. How many episodes do we see of the show that has the cast moving around the bridge, just like normal folks would do? Bill didn't want John moving because Bill wasn't going to be upstaged in any way. Shatner is a fine actor, but not always a fine man.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, Ensign Pow! Stop moving your cursor around so much on the display! I'm the captain of All Sci-Fi, and we can't have a lot moving around!

Don't force me to throw you in the brig!, Ensign! Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: