ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 3-16-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 3-16-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Can't think of a single thing to post as a reply on All Sci-Fi?

Well, how about one of the posts on the 133-page thread for Forbidden Planet? That has a ton of stuff you could reply to!

Or than there's also the thread for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, a great action movie!

And finally there's the thread for San Andreas, which has awesome action and amazing special effects!

If none of those tempt you, perhaps I was wrong when I thought I had members who were science fiction fans! Shocked

If you're not a fan of the movies listed above, you should try visiting Facebook, where they have lame posts which show their beloved pet cat at the kitchen table, gazing at the family's seafood dinner! Rolling Eyes

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Gord Green wrote:
Call it a stasis field if you like, but it seemed to be more of a "cocoon" separating them from any external changes. Inside the field their bodies were protected from external forces. Therefore they would be protected from inertia, gravity or any other forces. This would have been an extension of the hyperdrive (Quanto-Gravitic Drive) technology.

What do you think?

I think it's a great idea! I can accept that, and the concept (theoretical though it may be) makes a great deal of sense!

The green glow we see could well be explained by the fact that the men were "out of phase" with normal space.

I love it! Cool

Great thinking, Professor Green!

Admittedly I still learn towards the turned into energy explanation because of my fondness for the idea that it "foreshadowed" the Krell machine's ability, as I mention earlier. It's yet another example of the brilliant and intricate way the plot of Forbidden Planet is structured.

However, concerning your first statement above, I'm a bit confused.

Gord Green wrote:
If the matter-energy-matter conversion was the process used, it doesn't seem too different from the Krell Machines capabilities: at least in principles of operation. Assuming the Bellerophon used the same DC system, they wouldn't find the KM's matter creation so mysterious.

You seem to be suggesting that the Bellerophon crew knew what the Krell Machine could do. However . . . they did not, and even Morbius didn't find out until the final scenes.

Perhaps you meant that the C-57-D crew realized the similarity between the DC stations "matter/energy" conversion and the Krell machine's ability to create matter out of energy.

If that's what you meant . . . you're absolutely right! In fact, two of the crewmen did indeed realize the similarity. Very Happy

After the brain boost, Dr. Ostrow quickly understood what the machine was doing, and he conveyed that to Commander Adams in just a few words before he died.

Adams then figured out the concept quickly as well, because he too had first-hand experience with the "matter/energy" conversion of the DC stations.

Gentlemen, we've been debating how those two men figured it all out so rapidly, and Gord's suggestion sheds some new light on that puzzle! Very Happy

Since both men were familiar with the "matter/energy" conversion technology, the only thing the Krell Machine did that was actually new to them was the way it received mental commands from the Krell and then projected the desired objects to "any point on the planet" (as Adams put it).

Furthermore, we can take this whole idea a step further and make the obvious suggestion that the Federation was attempting to develop this technology so that it could actually send the energy to another location and then re-materialize the objects back into matter!

In other words, the Federation was working on a prototype that would do what the Krell machine was capable of. And if they succeeded . . . then Star Trek transporters would be the result! Very Happy

Eventually this became the replicators aboard the Enterprise, a simplified version of the Krell machine which provided, on demand, any object that was verbally requested from the ship's computer!

Gord, dare I say it? You've added another strong reason to believe the DC stations foreshadowed the Krell machine's abilities — as well as the notion that the DC stations were, in a very real sense, the technological ancestors of the Star Trek transports!

I think that transporters were probably developed the same way!

First they were capable of converting matter into energy and then back into matter. Eventually the ability to project the energy to another location before re-conversion was perfected.

Star Trek demonstrates that mankind was well on it's way to duplicating the technology of the Krell.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

IMDB has 150 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ (At around fifteen minutes) Nick Fury relates a story of his grandfather being an elevator operator. In real-life, Samuel L. Jackson's grandfather was an elevator operator.

Note from me: Proof positive that anybody in American can "come up in the world". Wink

~ Robert Redford wanted to do the film because his grandchildren are fans of Marvel films, and he wanted them to see him in one.

Note from me: Ummm . . . did Granddaddy Bob tell the kids he would be a bad guy who would die? Shocked

~ (At around sixteen minutes) When the Helicarriers are revealed for the first time, Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) mentions to Captain America (Chris Evans) that Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) insisted on making changes to the propulsion systems "once he got a closer look". In The Avengers (2012), Iron Man struggled to restart the damaged propeller-based engines of an earlier generation Helicarrier. The new Helicarriers use repulsor technology instead of propellers to create lift.

Note from me: Yes indeed, the scene in The Avengers where Iron Man gets trapped in the giant "blender" of the Helicarriers's propeller was brutal! I get sick on amusement park rides that spin me around, so I'd been in the Iron Man suit, it would have filled with my lunch! Shocked

~ When Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) is opening his refrigerator, a jar of Newman's Own Sauce is visible on the shelf, an apparent homage to Redford's long-time friend and two-time co-star Paul Newman.

Note from me: Oh my God . . . Newman would have been so proud! Then agian, his wife (Joan Woodward) could have sued and made a fortune. We live in a strange world, folks! Confused

~ When Steve Rogers enters his apartment, you can briefly see a copy of the book "All the President's Men" on his bookshelf. Robert Redford was producer and co-star (with Dustin Hoffman) of the movie adaptation of this book.

Note from me: I've been meaning to watch that movie for years. I think I'll put if on my Netflix list.

~ Between The Avengers (2012) and this movie, Cap's shield is no longer magnetic with additional electronics. This reflects the comic books, where Cap found that the modifications affected the delicate balance of the shield, and had them removed.

Note from me: Not sure how I feel about this idea. When the shield did cool stuff like coming back to him, etc., I was impressed. Did it still do that after Steve had all the Bonus Features remove?

~ This movie is the last live-action appearance of the late Garry Shandling. While this movie was his final appearance on the big screen, his final film role would be in a voice-over, in The Jungle Book (2016).

Note from me: I love the scene in the end where Shandling's snart0-assed politician was forced to honor the heroes by pinning medals on them. (I'm not fond of politicians these days. They lie a lot . . . ) Rolling Eyes

~ The photo of Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) from 1992 is a still image of Redford from Sneakers (1992).

Note from me: I love Sneakers! Redford is great in that one. I own a DVD of it. All Sci-Fi needs a thread for this enjoyable movie!

Hey, just who is in charge of starting threads around here? Shocked

(Oh, wait . . . that would be me!)

Okay, I just started one here.

Jeez, guys, see how EASY that was? Cool

San Andreas (2015)

[size=20If you love this movie, you'll like this video which gives us a glimpse of the various composites needed to make several of the complex FX shots.

I love way they included dramatic music which underscored the dramatic scenes being shown from the movie. An awesome video, guys! Shocked

Damn, I'd LOVE to do this for a living. This kind of stuff is in my blood! Cool[/size]

_San Andreas - VFX Breakdown by Scanline VFX (2015)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: