ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-17-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-17-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

One couldn't ask for a more diverse group of movies than the three below! Very Happy

~ A brilliant man's father sticks the brain of his dead son into a robot body, and then he's surprised when junior goes berserk! (Like . . . duh! Rolling Eyes)

~ In a lonely post-apocalyptic world, prove that even with just five people left, they still can't get along? Rolling Eyes

~ And finally, a hideous tale of horticultural horror, set in a suburban environment where a family's perfectly average front yard becomes a battle ground!

* More shocking than Attack of the Crab Monsters!
* More frightening than The Day of the Triffids!
* More preposterous than Godzilla vs the Giant Lobster!

And it's so disturbing that The Classic Horror Film Board deleted the thread I started for this movie because their members complained that it gave them nightmares! (The CHFB obviously has a bunch of sissy-boy members . . . Rolling Eyes)

The Colossus of New York (1958)

Krel wrote:
Building death ray eyes into the creation. Do I really have to point out the poor thinking here?

The "death ray eyes" are tough to explain, but it's a fascinating concept and a fantastic special effect by the great John P. Fulton.

On one hand, the evil brother wouldn't actually have the technological ability to build a death ray into his brother's robot head . . . and he certainly had no reason to do that, as you so well pointed out.

But on the other hand, how DID Ross Martin create those death rays?

Well, consider the fact that his energized brain had significant areas that were completely idle because they were no longer connected to a body which had to monitor and regulate all the physiological systems that kept him alive — heart, lungs, nervous system, etc.

As a result, Ross Martin's artificially energized brain — 100% of it — could be used to develop amazing abilities!

For example, he could see events taking place miles away — like the two ships that collided at sea, and his own brother talking on the phone with his father. He could also telepathically hypnotize his father and order him do things against his will.

We even see his brain pulsing with light when he uses the death ray!

Conclusion: Ross Martin did the same sort of thing we see in other movies when powerful minds do astounding things — like Professor Xavier, for example.

That said, I've always assumed that if Ross Martin hadn't died at the end, his powers would have increased . . . with disastrous results! Shocked

The Blu-ray of this movie is excellent. I highly recommend both it and the one for its original double-bill feature, The Space Children.

Krel wrote:
The movie has a real interesting soundtrack. I haven't seen the movie in years, but as I recall, it was an all piano soundtrack.

It does indeed, David!

And a wonderful CD is available with the soundtracks of both The Colossus of New York and The Space Children, the two movies that were released as a double feature in 1958.

Both soundtracks are by Nathan Van Cleave, who also did The Conquest of Space and Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

YouTube has the entire The Colossus of New York soundtrack at the link below, with each track in a separate video — but once you start the title theme, all the rest will follow automatically. Very Happy

____ The Colossus of New York (1958) - Main Title

Five (1951)

IMDB has 8 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Filmed in a house called "Cliff House" designed by famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright. It was the home of the film's producer/writer/director, Arch Oboler, and sat on his 360-acre ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains along Mulholland Highway. Outdoor scenes were filmed on his property as well as other nearby locations in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Note from me: We never see much of the interior of this Frank Lloyd Wright house, which seems odd in view of the fact that the architecture would have been awesome.

~ According to TCM's Robert Osborne, this is the first feature film to depict the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust.

Note from me: I miss the late Mr. Osborne on TCM. But Ben Mankiewicz has been an admirable replacement.

~ The character of Eric, the bigoted quasi-Nazi, was a good warm-up for actor James Anderson, who would take on his most famous movie role, the monstrous Robert E. Lee Ewell, so memorably in To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) more than a decade later.

Note from me: James Anderson has a brief role in I Married a Monster from Outer Space. He wasn't a nice guy in that one, either.

Attack of the Killer Crabgrass (1958)

IMDB has refused to include the 3 trivia items shown below for this movie, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Hispanic landscape workers boycotted this movie because they felt that such a biological threat could easily be eradicated with their Weed-eaters!

Note from me: I'm sure this is true . . . but the cost of professional landscapers in my townhome subdivision per month is probably more than the entire budget of this movie! Shocked

~ Biologist around world protested the idea that crabgrass could evolve the intelligence needed to pose a threat to mankind.

Note from me: Maybe this is true . . . but any suburban home-owner who has battled crabgrass in his front yard would disagree!

~ The concept that an "experimental fertilizer" could cause crabgrass to evolve intelligence and grow to huge proportions has been proven false by the same Russian scientists who investigated the bogus tragedy at Chernobyl.

Note from me: Ummm . . . right . . . Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: