ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lazarus Project (2008)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: The Lazarus Project (2008) Reply with quote

Lazarus of Oregon.

The Lazarus Project is directed by John Patrick Glen, who also co-writes the screenplay with Evan Astrowsky. It stars Paul Walker, Linda Cardellini, Piper Perabo, Bob Gunton, Malcolm Goodwin and Tony Curran. Music is by Brian Tyler and cinematography by Jerzy Zielinski.

A reformed criminal out on parole is beset by bad luck and finds himself sentenced to die by lethal injection. Strange then that once the lethal dose is administered, he wakes up working as a grounds-keeper at a psychiatric hospital.

John Glen's first directing assignment is very much a mixed bag, but if landing in the DVD/Blu-ray players of the right audience it could well gain some momentum in the wake of Walker's untimely death.

It's one of those films that operates at a funereal pace and thrives on other worldly atmosphere. After the introductions to the main character and his psychological make-up is out the way, pic shifts into a realm where we, as well as Walker's character, are never sure what is real or what is going on. Is he in some afterlife place? Is it all in his head? A dream? Drug induced? And etc.

One of the smart things about the movie is that it binds the audience to the mystery by asking us to fill in the gaps with our own logic. While crucially the reveal comes at the right time so as to give us viewers the opportunity to re-evaluate the various quandaries that the piece has thrown up.

For those who like films like Jacob's Ladder, Shutter Island, The Jacket et al, then this has to be at the very least of interest, to warrant the chance to sell itself to those particular sub-genre fans, besides which, it also shows a string to Walker's acting bow that was rarely tapped into by other directors.

And it's beautifully shot by Zielinski too. Contemplative, intriguing and even chilling as regards the various themes it deals with, this Lazarus deserves its own second coming. 7/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen it, never even heard of it, and probably wouldn't give it chance if I knew nothing about it except for the synopsis on, say, Netflix.

Ben thought his life was over when he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. But following his execution, he awakens to a whole new world. Whether he's truly back from the dead -- or never died in the first place -- remains a mystery.

Yawn * I'll pass . . . Confused

But now you've gone and done it again, Spike! Shocked

You said " . . . it binds the audience to the mystery by asking us to fill in the gaps with our own logic."

Hey, I just love filling in gaps with my own logic! (And when that doesn't work, I get all silly and make desperate attempts to be witty.) So, this one sounds interesting. Very Happy

Netflix has it now, and I'll have it in a few days.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 19, 2022 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this one and didn't care for it, but watch this trailer and decide if you'd like to give it a go.

______________ The Lazarus Project - Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: