ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-22-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-22-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

"Justice through strength and courage!"

~ That's the noble pledge of Captain Midnight, and he reminded his young viewers of this pledge every weekk as he battle villians and kept America safe from its enemies.

"People of Earth, attention. This is voice speaking to you from thousands of miles beyond your planet."

~ Hugh Marlow and Joan Taylor save the world from and alien invasion . . . and then resume their honeymoon on a sunny beach, reassuring us that a man can be brlliant scientist and still get laid. Very Happy

"Peope of Earth, we accept you invitation. we come in gratitude and love. We bring you greets from 30,000 intelligent worlds, and to tell you they're waiting to greet you . . . among the stars.,"

That's the closing line of dialog from a remarkable intelligent and uplifting science fiction move from 1957.

YouTube has a fine version of itk so I think I'll schedule it for a future All Sci-Fi Live Chat (<— link).

Captain Midnight (1954 - 1956)

One of the most ambitious, exciting, and imaginative episodes in the series is the one below.

Captain Midnight S1E25 Saboteurs Of The Sky

I was astounded by this amazing episode, in which a bright young girl and her scientist father are kidnapped by foreign agents who force the scientist to use his revolutionary cloud seeding machine to actually create hurricanes within the borders of the the United States, causing destruction and death!

The young girl finds a clever way to send an SOS to Captain Midnight, and he arrives in time to prevent the villains from launching a second hurricane which will cause untold destruction the targeted city.

During a climatic fight with the villains, the young girl is badly injured, and Captain Midnight flies her to his mountain top headquarters after calling ahead to have medical personnel on the site to treat her the moment she arrives!

But the thing that impressed me the most was the final scene in which Captain Midnight thanks the girls when she awakens in the bed, surrounded by her father and the medical personnel, and he delivers an important message to all the female fans during this age when women where not treated equally to men.

Below is the closing dialog for this heart-rending episode, delivered to the injured little girl at Captain Midnight's headquarters, moments after she regains consciousness. Bear in mind that Captain Midnight's famous motto is, "Justice through strength and courage."

"Sally, you did much more than saving thousands of live by helping us. You proved that girls too can fight for justice . . . with their strength and courage."

Good God A'mighty, I LOVE this series! Very Happy

____Captain Midnight S1E25 Saboteurs Of The Sky

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)

Several posts on page 1 of this thread by Bongopete present some fascinating speculations concerning the true nature of this alien invasion movie.

Here's a few points which Bongopete made that really impressed me. I recommend that anyone who enjoys this movie read Bongpete's entire posts.

Bongopete wrote:
I think I can only remember one line from the movie in which the aliens actually say anything about coming here to take over.

[On the spaceship] when Marvin [asks them] why don't they just land and 'take over', the alien makes an interesting comment . . . [They state that they would be] tied up trying to put down revolts . . . leaving them Masters of a starving planet . . ..

Apparently the aliens want us to accept them peacefully.

[What if it happened this way instead.]

They fly over Marvin in his car and ask him to meet them the next day at Operation Skyhook.

They land the next day and meet with Marvin. They explain that they are the survivors of a destroyed solar system and are refugees. They ask Marvin to set up a meeting with the leaders in Washington.

This meeting would have given us, the viewer, details as to WHAT the aliens want!!

They are never given a chance to explain. WE assume that they are there to take over.

Did Earth miss an opportunity with these aliens? They were ancient . . . and possibly not capable of procreation . . . if so, we would have been their descendants and left with all the tech goodies.

This interpretation (a very plausible one, in fact) means this movie was not about ruthless aliens who wanted to enslave mankind. They were asking for help, although they didn't do it very well, starting with the way they screwed up the delivery of their initial message.

Mankind also screwed up right off the bat by opening firing on the saucer before it did anything threatening or destructive — never realizing that the aliens thought they had "called ahead" and were expecting to discuss their problem with Dr. Marvin!

The whole thing was caused by a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and bad decisions — on both sides!

The result was that these aging aliens who lacked diplomatic skills ended up butting heads with a race who tended to shoot first and ask questions later!

And so, what could have been a mutually beneficial situation became a disaster in which the aliens got their wrinkled asses kicked and we lost many of our best landmarks in Washington!

Even when the aliens tried to take their case to the Supreme Court, they did it way too aggressively! Rolling Eyes

THE 27th DAY (1957)

I finished reading the book recently and was very impressed with the awesome scope of the story.

It has a great epilogue which describes the conditions on Earth ten years after the aliens have come to live here after being invited to share the planet.

They've been extremely generous with their technology, benefiting mankind in countless ways, including the extension of the average life space to 140 years. Furthermore, the aliens are rapidly terraforming Mars so that they can leave Earth and move there, giving our planet back to us after we agreed to share it when the needed a new home following the destruction of the star system.

The book goes into detail about how the capsules literally changed the basic nature of mankind, making us more rational, kind, and cooperative. Author John Mantley describes the physiological causes of aggression and hate in medical terems, and he explains what the incredible capsules did to alter mankind in beneficial ways.

Although he didn't actually call it an artificial advancement in mankind's evolution, that's what it amounts to.

Mantley did a great job in taking his unique story premise and developing it to its fullest potential. Very Happy

I'm disappointed that the folks who insisted on disputing my interpretation of the movie — even after I proved I was right on every point — neglected to acknowledge this fact. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: