ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-25-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-25-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Where else but on All Sci-Fi could you find an interesting discussion about a doomed Venusian creature who is forced to battle a bull elephant, a poor baby dinosaur who needs to be rescued by its mother, and a tiny alien weapon that could either destroy mankind . . . or save us? Confused

Surely I'm not the only one who finds stuff like this interesting. Very Happy

20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Krel wrote:
Well, lets face it, the poor creature was doomed from the start. It was brought to Earth as a specimen of life on Venus. You can make book that if the ship hadn't crashed, then the poor thing was headed for the lab, with it's final destination being an an autopsy table.

Maybe it's fate in the movie wasn't so bad after all.

David.

David, your analysis of the situation is flawless. You've just been assigned to the next mission to Venus! Your mission is to bring back Mrs. Ymir and all the little Ymirians. Very Happy

The whole family will reside in the Rome Zoo in complete comfort. Please don't tell them that daddy was killed on Earth — but that we managed to revive him, and that he eagerly awaits the family reunion!

The UN has made them Earth's ambassadors to our Sister Planet!

Gorgo (1961 England)

Gord Green wrote:
Although by and large a "man in a suit" movie like GODZILLA, this film was strangely satisfying. I think it was largely due to the background stories of the various characters and the way the story enfolded them into the complete narrative.

One feature of most British sci-fi of the era was just this attention to character. Whether it's Quatermass or VILLIAGE OF THE DAMNED, DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS or DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS the Brit films are wonderful to watch although greatly considered slow moving by today's standards.

The comments above has lead me to believe that this movie's script, basic concept, and other aspects about the period when it was made defeated this movies chances for success.

To me, the photography for this film is not up to par compared to the best films of the 1960s. The audio of many British movies in the 1950s and 1960s had an unpleasant quality I've always disliked. It sounds like the movie is playing on the television in the next flat! Sad

The matte shots of the terrified citizens in the streets who flee from the rubber dinosaur don't match up.

Yes, I know — the filmmakers did the best they could. But the audiences in 1961 were much more impressed by the FX of that day, and in 2020 we're used to movies with FX we can't distinguish from reality!

So, all things considered, how is anybody from 2020 supposed to enjoy this sadly dated and badly flawed motion picture . . . except for the folks with such strong nostalgic feels they're willing to forgive the movie's flaws. Rolling Eyes

THE 27th DAY (1957)

I finished reading the book recently and was very impressed with the awesome scope of the story.

It has a great epilogue which describes the conditions on Earth ten years after the aliens have come to live here after being invited to share the planet.

They've been extremely generous with their technology, benefiting mankind in countless ways, including the extension of the average life space to 140 years. Furthermore, the aliens are rapidly terraforming Mars so that they can leave Earth and move there, giving our planet back to us after we agreed to share it when the needed a new home following the destruction of the star system.

The book goes into detail about how the capsules literally changed the basic nature of mankind, making us more rational, kind, and cooperative. Author John Mantley describes the physiological causes of aggression and hate in medical terems, and he explains what the incredible capsules did to alter mankind in beneficial ways.

Although he didn't actually call it an artificial advancement in mankind's evolution, that's what it amounts to.

Mantley did a great job in taking his unique story premise and developing it to its fullest potential. Very Happy

I'm disappointed that the folks who insisted on disputing my interpretation of the movie — even after I proved I was right on every point — neglected to acknowledge this fact. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: