ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-31-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-31-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Below are threads for two classic science fiction movies and on new series on a streaming channel which pumped new life into a vintage show which still has a loyal following.[/size]

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: After Klaatu makes mankind aware of the fact that we live in a galaxy populated by many other races of intelligent beings with advanced technology, would the nations of the world put aside their vastly different ideologies, cultures, and religions to band together and achieve world peace?

~ My Theory: In a pigs eye they would! Rolling Eyes

They'd stubbornly cling to their superstitions, their ancient cultures, and their selfish national pride — thus dooming the race to perpetual isolationism and stagnate efforts to advance our own technology. Sad

(I just tossed this out to encourage a discussion. I hope I get one.) Confused

Star Trek Discovery - new series (CBS All Access 2017)

Pow, I spent this rainy Monday afternoon binge watching Star Trek: Discovery.

I have the first three discs from Netflix, and I'm just as impressed with this series as you are! It is truly terrific! As much as I love TOS, this is the way I wanted Star Trek to look and feel back when the series first aired in the 1960s.

The stories, the sets, the props, the FX, the uniforms — their all the direct descendants of Forbidden Planet. It's the bold and ballsy future I yearned for when I was a kid in the 1950. \

Series like Star Trek: TOS teased us with visions of mankind's destiny. But then recently the enhanced versions of the FX gave us a clearer look at this exciting future. Cool

However, this new series presents an eye-popping, jaw-dropping, mind-blowing vision which transports the minds of true science fiction fans into a bright and exciting future!

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't share my optimistic vision of the future. It may never come to past . . . and even if it does, I probably won't live to see it. Sad

However, series like this one allow me to enjoy them today, right here in my living room!

As for today and my binge-watching experience, I actually didn't realize until the third disc that I was supposed to turn on the "Close Captions" during the scenes when the Klingons argued with each other!

I kept wondering why the producers thought the audience would enjoy listening to dialog delivered in an alien language without a clue as to what was being said! Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the fourth disc from season 1, and all four disc from season 2 are on my Netflix list. It'll be nice to take long break from CNN's coverage of the pandemic. It's starting to get to me down . . . Sad

Beyond the Time Barrier (1960)

I had a long phone conversation recently with a good friend I've known since the 5th grade, a gentleman named Chuck who've I've mentioned in other posts, such as the ones for The Time Machine and Mysterious Island.

Chuck joined All Sci-Fi today, and I'm eager to hear what he thinks about this post, based on our boyhood experiences. Very Happy

When were were kids, Chuck and I shared many afternoons at a small local theater in the little town of East Point, GA, which was located so close to our home town of College Park that the northern city limits of our town was the southern city limits of East Point! Very Happy

The theater in East Point was called (appropriately enough) the East Point Theater. Sadly, it was demolished in 1972, and the only photo I've ever found of it is this pitiful thing, which was taken well after it closed.

Ah, but you guys know how much I like to fiddle with jpegs using Paint.net — so I went to work on this picture, widening it by duplicating the outer portions of the building and pasting them onto the sides.

Here's what that produced.

________

Then I performed a "virtual pressure wash" on those dirty bricks to clean them up a bit, and I removed that distracting telephone wire. The bone white sky isn't very appealing, so I pasted in a new one with fluffy clouds. Very Happy

Next I added one-sheet posters to the display cases which flanked the ticket booth, and also a big poster in the display area directly behind the booth. All three posters are for Beyond the Time Barrier.

Finally, I added the title of the movie to the marquee and widened the picture, both with Paint.net.

TA-DAAA! The East Point Theater lives again! Cool

During my recent conversation with Chuck, he astounded me with his detailed memories of the many times he and I (along our close friend Jimmy) spent long afternoons at the East Point Theater. Here's what Chuck told me.

He said he would ask his parents for just one dollar to spend with his friends. One measly buck was all he needed. Shocked

And once he had this tidy fortune in the pocket of his jeans, he and I (and our pal Jimmy) would make the 25 minute walk from our subdivision to College Park — complete with a vintage train station —

— and a wild night life . . . as you can see from this photo taken on a typical Saturday night. Rolling Eyes

My friends and I would wait patiently at the bus stop (located on a side street next to a feed store) until the bus arrived and the driver took his scheduled rest room break. When he returned, he let us board the bus after we'd forked over the exorbitant fare of . . . 10¢. Shocked

Remember, guys, we left the house with one precious dollar each to finance our day-long adventure. And now we were down to 90¢.

Our trusty driver would then steer the bus back out onto main street and head for Atlanta, with stops along the way at locations between College Park, East Point, and other small towns along the way, until it reached our famous state capitol — which was about ten miles away.

Chuck reminded me that we sometimes took the bus all the way into Atlanta to see movies at the Fox Theater, the Lowe's Grand, and the Rialto.

However, East Point was just down the road, and the bus delivered us so close to the movie theater that we could actually see it before the bus even stopped.

A short walk from main street and over the railroad tracks brought us to the ticket both — where 25¢ from our meager funds got us into the theater.

And what did we get for this exorbitant sum? Confused

We were all royally entertained by the previews of coming attractions — as well as the hilarious cartoons.

__________________ Coyote And Road Runner

But our day was far from over after our cinematic experience. Right next to the theater was a bowling alley called Duckpin Bowling, which used undersized pins and small wooden balls.

There was no fancy machinery which came down to reset the pins. All that was done by teenagers in the area behind the alleys. They would hustle back and forth behind the lanes to clear away the fallen pins and get each alley ready for the next ball thrown by the bowlers.

The price charged for this enjoyably activity was a fraction of the original dollar my friends and I left home with, and after enjoying ourselves for an hour or so, we'd leave and walk back towards main street East Point to have lunch.

Just a block south of the bus stop, which was across the tracks from the theater and the Duckpin Bowling Alley, was a Kryslal Restaurant, which served ridiculously cheap hamburgers that were small enough to be eaten in four bites.

A Krystal hamburger was just one thin dime in those days, so my friends and I could buy a hardy lunch and stuff our mouths full while discussing the science fiction movie we'd just enjoyed. But we were careful to save enough money to afford our ride back home on the bus.

And so, we boarded the southbound bus and gave the driver the last of the money we'd left home with — 10¢. Very Happy

We returned home in the late summer afternoon flat broke — but with a wealth of priceless memories. Three friends who were bonded together by the same passion — our love for science fiction . . . not to mention Duckpins Bowling and Krystal hamburgers. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: