ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wandering Earth (2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: The Wandering Earth (2019) Reply with quote

The Wandering Earth (2019) is considered to be one of China’s first major Sci-fi films.

The Wandering Earth is set to air internationally next week. China will see the release first on February 5th while the U.S., Canada, and Australia will see its premiere on February 8th. Adapted from a short story of the same name by Liu Cixin and directed by Frant Gwo, THE WANDERING EARTH looks to be a fun and promising Sci-Fi action film that may shake up American Sci-Fi.

Here’s the description from IMDB.

The sun was dying out, people all around the world built giant planet thrusters to move Earth out of its orbit and to sail Earth to a new star system. Yet the 2500 year-long journey came with unexpected dangers, and in order to save humanity, a group of young people in this age of a wandering Earth came out boldly and fought hard for everyone's survival.

________ The Wandering Earth - Ultimate Trailer

Krel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a story, "A Pail of Air", about people living in a makeshift bunker because the Earth froze after it got knocked out of orbit. The building's rooms were insulated with layers of material. This kept the room's warm, and the outer frozen layers formed an airlock. To breath, the people would go outside in makeshift space suits and collect buckets of frozen air to be melted.

You can read it here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51461

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Hong Kong, this movie looks absolutely gorgeous! Shocked

My first reaction when I read the synopsis was to say something about how unrealistic it is to think that thrusters could move the Earth like a solid asteroid (it would break apart) and how the oceans and the atmospheric water would freeze on the surface even if you moved it successfully.

By the way, my Google question about how thick the ice formed by a frozen atmosphere produced a surprising answer: The atmosphere would form a layer 33 feet over the surface, but it wouldn't be ice, it would be solid air!

I'm not sure what the difference is. The same website that said it would be solid said it might be liquid air, so I guess the whole idea is a bit theoretical.

All that aside, when I watched the trailer I realized that this movie probably has some solid science to backup the premise, so I'll reserved judgement until I learn more.

But it sure looks visually stunning, no mater what else it might be! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: