ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-5-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-5-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Need a good private eye? Then Mannix is the guy to call.

Want to see what Star Trek has become in 21st Century? Check out Star Trek: Discovery.

And if you're interested in a discussion about the evolution of FX in Star Trek, we've got a discussion about that, too! Cool

Mannix (1967 - 1975)

If Krel's initial recommendation of Mannix and my subsequent enthusiastic replies have yet to convince anyone they should treat themselves to this wonderful crime-drama series, you folks are missing a chance to livin' up your "self-quarantine" with some quality couch time!!

MeTV offers this show and several other classics from the past, and I've been DVRing them during the past month.

Hopefully all the members of All Sci-Fi have basic channels like MeTV and can enjoy the programs they offer. I've discovered that my sanity is being preserved by these wonderful shows from my youth!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's enjoying these great show. Sad

Star Trek Discovery - new series (CBS All Access 2017)

Well, I just finished season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery, and I'm happy to report that the earlier misgivings I had about certain aspects of the series no longer bother me, now that I've seen the interesting things they eventually did with the concepts.

I was very impressed with Spock after he finally shaved and put on the uniform near the end of the episode.

In short: disregard my complaints. The show is great. Very Happy

It's going to be tough to wait until season 3 comes out on DVD so I can binge watch it, but in the meantime I think I'll finally catch up on the Netflix series, Lost in Space season 2 and Stranger Things season 3.

In fact, I think I'll might just start with season one of both series and watch them straight through to the most recent episodes. After all, it's been quite a while since I've seen either of them.

Gee, wasn't it clever of me to delay watching the current seasons until a global pandemic forced me to stay in my home for God-knows-how-long? Rolling Eyes

Star Trek (TOS) FX Then & Now

After watching Star Trek: Discovery and seeing just how freakin' awesome CGI can make a science fiction series look, I'm more convinced than ever that TOS could be enhanced with computer generated sets, special effects, and even costumes to actually make it look look remarkably like Star Trek: Discovery! Cool

As for all you folks who don't want TOS to be changed in any way . . . that' fine. Just don't watch the enhanced versions. Confused

But as for me (and perhaps other folks), my standards for what does-and-does-NOT visually impress me over the last 50 years have changed. When I was kid in the 1950s, an old black & white TV looked just peachy. Smile

When I was teenager in the 1960s, I was very impressed by a 24" color TV!

Now I have a 50" HD television . . . and I can't imagine how I managed to watch movies and shows on those crappy old TVs! Shocked

Times change, technology advances, people get older and (hopefully) wiser, and our standards for excellence should NOT remain stuck in the days when we were young, naive, and easily impressed.

Therefore, I'm delighted by the fact that everything innately good about TOS can be retained in enhanced versions — while all the aspects that were hampered by technology which is now a half-century old can be improved.

Isn't that what technological progress and artist excellence is supposed to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: