ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panic in Year Zero (1962)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Panic in Year Zero (1962) Reply with quote

Ray Milland directs and stars in this tale of a family on a fishing trip who learn that nuclear war has destroyed nearby Los Angles.

Milland must protect his family (Jean Hagen, Mary Mitchell, Frankie Avalon) from looters and rapists (his daughter is assaulted). Milland and Avalon rob a small store at gun point to get supplies, then they set up residence in a cave.

Milland's character is grimly determined to take every precaution against the dangers he knows his family will face as civilization breaks down. This is an intelligent and well-craft film that takes a close look at a determined family's struggle to survive. Highly recommended.

[Also released as: "The End of the World"]

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An All Sci-Fi member sent me a DVR of this movie several years ago and I liked it so much I eventually bought this DVD.

I can't explain why I'm found of it. It isn't the kind of movie I normally care for. I you haven't seen it, give it a try. Here's the trailer.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defiance of normal mathematics, there wasn't actually a Year Zero between Year One BC and Year One AD... those old-timers weren't too hot on their arithmetic, I guess. Which left things open for the movie-makers to appropriate that year for a rather later time...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Naturally, the title is more poetical than mathematica. I just indicates that we're starting from scratch.

Panic in Year One would have been the correct phrase, as you pointed out.

Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Panic in the Year Zero Reply with quote

Best of the post-apocalyptic films that include the ludicrous Teenage Caveman, Corman's The Day the World Ended, Captive Women (1952) and any number of others.

Ray Milland was not a great actor, despite his Oscar for The Lost Weekend, but he sets the pace and drives the movie forward. The unexpected attack on his daughter was surprising and helped lift the movie out of the routine.

The low buget production went about as far as it could for that era. It was up to Threads (1984) and The Road (2009) to realistically show the true horrors of a post-nuclear world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: