ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-9-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-9-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Below is an interesting posts about a great TV series called Scorpion, as well as one about an even better series called Limitless (which was cancelled after only one season, dammit . . . )

I have good downloads of both series, so if anybody wants them, let me know and I'll upload them to WeTransfer so you can put them on your computer.

But first, let's address the mystery of what Morbius keeps in that round brass container on his desk in front two well-worn books. Gord Green provided a remarkable screen shot which focuses on an object none of us ever noticed in the last 60+ years while watching Forbidden Planet!
Shocked

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Gord Green wrote:
Another question.....Just WHAT does Morbius have in this brass box? Altarian snuff? Some artifacts of the Krell? Altair's best pipe tobacco?

Maybe the ashes of his dead wife?

And those two old books? Obviously from Earth...but what titles?

Good Lord, how did you get that incredible close-up of those objects on Morbius' desk? Shocked

Unfortunately my 2001 Toshiba laptop will only make screen shots from DVDs, not from Blu-rays. Is that the source you used for that wonderful close-up? Very Happy

I noticed those objects in the picture Eadie posted, but I couldn't post anything better, so I didn't mention them or post a close-up. But like you, I wondered what the gold objects and the books are. Very Happy

Limitless (2015)

The American Society of Addiction Medicine defines "addiction" in this way.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response.

The key phrases here are "inability to consistently abstain" and "impairment of behavioral control".

Brian Finch does not crave NZT and have to struggle against an inability to abstain from taking it. And it certainly does NOT impair his behavioral control! In fact, it enhances his intelligence so much that (ironically) his normal intelligence level is much closer to a state of intoxication than his boosted intelligence using NZT!

Look at this way, David. If I take the type 2 diabetes medication my doctor has prescribed, I'm less likely to slip into a diabetic comma and die. And when my blood sugar climbs to unsafe levels because of something I ate, I have to take extra amounts to bring it back down.

If I don't, my elevated blood sugar makes me feel sluggish, achy, depressed, and groggy.

So, does that mean I'm "addicted" to diabetes medication? Of course not. My body just needs the chemical modification to maintain optimum health.

If your still not convinced that NZT is just an effective way to optimize a person's cognitive abilities above and beyond what we've previously been capable of, consider this.

It I eat meals on a regular basis, I'm healthy, energetic, and reasonably intelligent. If I don't eat, I'll become confused, weak, and in pain. Eventually I'll die.

Does that mean I'm addicted to food?

I rest my case.

Scorpion (2015)

Netfix doesn't stream it, but they do have the DVDs, although the "search" results didn't show it, so I had to do a bit of hunting to find it, for some reason.

Actually, I have downloads of seasons 1 - 3 (but not the final season, un fortunately, so I can upload them for any member of All Sci-Fi who'd like to have them.

Here's a great moment from this fun show.

_______ Scorpion S01/E01 Walter & Paige meet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: