ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-14-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-14-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Behold! Shocked

Two short posts about two magnificent movies, and one long post about the ultimate "mankind vs alien" encounter . . . of the very closest kind! Shocked

I'm pretty sure you intelligent folks will think of something interesting to say about these movies. Cool

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

I think Hollywood should make a movie called Aquamen Meets Captain Nemo.

~ Click on the image to see a larger version.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Gord Green wrote:
I was captivated by the story, which is what was meant to happen by filmmakers who took some liberties with the original book by Irving Block and Allen Adler, a fact I didn't know until I found the book earlier this week.

I am no stranger to the way Hollywood changes books to fit the Hollywood version of happily ever after when there is no happy and sometimes no ever after.

This an interesting, well-written article . . . but the author thinks the novelization was written by Irving Block and Allen Adler, and that the movie script by Cyril Hume was based on it!

He can't mean the original story concept by Block and Adler was changed in the screenplay, because he says, " . . . I found the book earlier this week."

We all know from various sources that the movie's original concept was pitched verbally in 1954 to MGM executive Nicholas Nayfack by Block and Adler as "Fatal Planet", a story that was set on Mercury.

Cyril Hume wrote the initial screenplay between August 26th and September 3 1954 — based on the fact that sections of the manuscript posted on All Sci-Fi have dates in the upper right corners that range from 8-26-1954 to 9-3-54 — which is a total of only nine days!

We've assumed that the novelization was written to promote the movie. Its official publication date is 1956.

So, the author of the article above thinks the 1954 screenplay made changes in the book . . . even though it was written two years later, in 1956. Shocked

We also know, from reading that script I posted that the final movie differs drastically in dozens of ways from that supposed "shooting script". (If you haven't read it, guys, you'll be amazed.)

Therefore, it is definitely NOT the actually script used during filming.

I feel a bit sorry for the author of the article which Gord posted, because he put a lot of careful thought into comparing the movie to the novelization — but he started from a false premise, so the poor guy's conclusions are all inherently wrong!
Sad

Aliens (1986)

Whatever happen to cute little Newt, you may ask? Ah heck, she's just fine! Very Happy

Heres what Wired has to say.

Thirty Years Later, Newt Remembers Filming Aliens

More than 30 years ago, Carrie Henn was a 9-year-old living in London, where she'd just landed a big role in what would become one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time: James Cameron's Aliens.

In the 1986 smash, Henn starred as Newt, the soot-faced, wide-eyed orphan whose family has been wiped out by xenomorphs, and who develops a near-familial bond with Ripley, the creature-cratering heroine played by Sigourney Weaver.

And if you thought that hanging around the] set filled with multi-mouthed monsters (not to mention James Cameron) was scary for a young kid, you're right — though, as it turns out, Hehn's fears had nothing to do with her acid-drooling co-stars.

"I wasn’t nervous about being on set, because I knew everybody, and they were very friendly," Henn said during a recent stop at the WIRED Cafe during Comic-Con International, where the film is celebrating its 30th anniversary.

"The aliens were all my friends, wearing suits. I was actually most nervous about going to the cafeteria for lunch, because I had to go in-character as Newt, and I thought everybody would be staring at me. I didn’t have any concept that everybody else was going to be dressed up, too. My tutor actually gave me a big pair of sunglasses to wear when I went in. But it turned out not to be such a big thing."

Henn had gotten the part after a meeting with Sigourney Weaver, who'd flown on the Concorde to London to test out their on-screen chemistry.

"I was excited, because I was like, She was in Ghostbusters! How cool is this?”, Henn remembered. The slow-building Newt-Ripley relationship — they start off skeptical of one another, but eventually develop a de facto mother-daughter bond — has always been the heart of Aliens, culminating in the film's most famous moment, in which Ripley, having finally tracked down the abducted Newt, confronts the Queen alien-turned-kidnapper and delivers one of the most delightfully bitchy lines in movie history.

According to Henn, who still keeps in touch with Weaver, the two actress' bond was evident from the get-go. "Immediately, we hit it off," she said. "She took me under her wing when we were filming, because I was so inexperienced. I can't describe my relationship with her, because she’s more than just a friend — what you see on screen is genuinely how we feel about each other."

Even though Henn was only 10 when Aliens was released, she has a vivid recall of her days on the set.

Her favorite scene to shoot? The one in which Newt, stuck chest-high in water, is snatched up by a towering alien — a terrifying sequence, and one that gave most other 10-year-olds nightmares for years to come. But for Henn, it was mostly a chance to goof around.

"The first assistant director had actually had someone stay there overnight, to make sure the water stayed warm," she said. "But it was actually too warm for me, so I would sit up on bars on the side, and the alien and I would stay up there, kicking our feet in the water.]

Aliens would prove to be Henn's only major acting role. By the time the film was released, she and her family had moved back to the United States, and she soon decided to pursue a career in education (she now teaches fourth grade in Northern California. Occasionally one of her students will bring in an Aliens DVD for her to sign).

But she still finds time to visit conventions, and this spring, in celebration of Aliens Day, she watched the movie for the first time in nearly a decade.

"It’s very weird, because I have a daughter who’s now the age I was when I made the movie, and she’s like my clone," Henn said. "So as I’m watching it, it’s like watching my daughter up there."

Newt, there it is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: