ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) Reply with quote

_____

Last and least of the great series. Jon Hall returns as the star, but neither his character nor the story have anything to do with the previous three films. The story is played straight and heavy, but the results are just leaden melodrama, completely lacking the creepy horror of the original.

Unlike the previous films, Hall begins the story as a crazy man, even before he becomes invisible with the help of scientist John Carradine. He uses his transparent condition to get revenge on the people who cheated him out of a fortune and caused him to be imprisoned. When Carradine refuses to make him visible again, Hall kills him. An invisible dog makes a brief (dis)appearance.

The supporting cast includes Evelyn Ankers, Billy Bevan, Alan Curtis, Leon Errol, Gale Sondergaard, and Ian Wolfe. Special effects by John P. Fulton. Music by Hans Salter. Directed by Ford Beebe.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Last and least of the great series"....yeah, that's what most everyone thinks. But not me.

This is my favorite of the sequels (excepting INVISIBLE AGENT — been too long since I've seen it, so I'm not sure).

There is a lot of silliness in this one, and much of it just doesn't work at all. But the mad doctor scenes with John Carradine are great. Ol' Long John seems to be having a great time. This might be the jolliest, most high-energy performance I ever saw from the guy.

The main thing is ... the movie is fun. Well, at least the scenes with Carradine are fun. This is in contrast to THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS. To me, that more-preferred film, while not terrible, is just a bit ... ummm .... boring. There, I said it.

RETURNS also features two somnambulistic lead performances from Cedric Hardwicke and Nan Grey.
Vincent Price is fun, of course, but that's not enough.

I may be the only one, literally THE ONLY ONE, but I'm sticking with THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE. So there.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I watched this one with Bulldogtrekker (chatting on Facebook), and we enjoyed it! It had some gruesome ideas and the usual good FX.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
"Last and least of the great series"....yeah, that's what most everyone thinks. But not me.

The main thing is ... the movie is fun. Well, at least the scenes with Carradine are fun. This is in contrast to THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS. To me, that more-preferred film, while not terrible, is just a bit ... ummm .... boring. There, I said it.

I agree that this one is underrated!

But I don't think The Invisible Man Returns is boring. It's a fine tale about a desperate man who knows that becoming invisible might drive him mad before he can prove himself innocent of murder.

Sort of The Fugitive trying to find the one-armed man before he went crazy!

Good stuff, I think.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal Studios must have really liked actor Jon Hall. He had played the Invisible Man just two years earlier in Universal's Invisible Agent (1942), but as an entirely different character in that picture.
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Slow But Worth a Look Reply with quote

With the exception of Whale's original, I was never a fan of the Invisible Man series.

The 1933 film used up all the good ideas. There are only so many things you can do with an invisible man, revenge against those who wronged him, a criminal taking advantage of his situation, a government agent hired to infiltrate a foreign enemy.

I finally caught The Invisible Man's Revenge on Youtube (it has since been taken down) and spent most of the time picking out familiar characters actors in the background, especially Ted Billings, the greatest movie extra of all time, who racked up 158 films between 1917 and 1947 and was uncredited in all but four of them.

He has one line in this movie, to my knowledge the only time he ever spoke on screen. To sustain that kind of career for a half century, somebody must have been looking out for him.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom, I must agree that the invisible man concept was milked unmercifully by the studies! Sad

However, The Invisible Man Returns is, I think, a worthy follow up. It combines elements of the popular TV series The Fugitive with the original film's tragic race to find a cure for the poor scientist's tragic fate.

And the climax is "user friendly" by giving us an uplifting climax. The falsely accused man both exonerates himself AND avoids the tragic fact of Claude Rains' character!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal Studios MONSTERS: A Legacy of Horror by Michael Mallory.

The fact that The Invisible Man's Revenge plays more like a mystery drama, right down to the twist ending, is perhaps due to the fact that it was scripted by Bertram Millhauser, whose usual province was Universal's Sherlock Holmes series.

A lot of footage is given to comedian Leon Errol as Higgins, a comic relief sidekick of Griffin's, none of which has much to do with the main story.

John Carradine, meanwhile, seems completely miscast as elderly, batty Dr. Drury (perhaps he felt so too and left before filming the scene of Drury being dragged from the burning cottage, in which the doctor is very visibly played by someone else).
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archive.org has a 5.5 GB version of this movie. Here's the link.

___________ The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)

For those who wish to download this movie, simpy click on the link below, then wait for the video to begin.

https://ia804507.us.archive.org/15/items/the-invisible-mans-revenge/The%20Invisible%20Man%27s%20Revenge.m4v

Place your cursor on the video window of the movies when it begins to play, then right-click and select SAVE VIDEO AS from the options that appear from the drop-down menu.

Your copy will go to your download file. It's easy! I've done it dozens of times.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: