ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-17-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-17-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Today's special is a double helping of time travel movie — and for desert we have a delightful treat for young sci-fi fans, a series called Annedrolds.

It's about a brilliant young girl who lives in a junk yard so she can build things . . . like robots and stuff! And her name is (you guess it) — Anne. Very Happy

[img][/img]

I think I'll watch a few of the 53 episodes available on YouTube! Cool

Time After Time (1979)

IMDB has 39 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen met and fell in love while shooting this picture. They were married from September 29, 1980, to October 1, 1990. Director Nicholas Meyer chose to not let them meet before the scene was filmed, to keep their reactions fresh for the scene. He had no idea they would actually fall in love.

Note from me: I wonder if Robert Zemickus cast Mary Steenburgen in Back to the Future III because he wanted her character fall in love with yet another time travler! Very Happy

~ All four of the real H.G. Wells' children were still alive at the time of this film's release.

Note from me: Imagine going to see this movie with Wells' family! That would be awesome indeed.

~ Malcolm McDowell listened to recordings of H.G. Wells to prepare for the role. According to him, Wells' voice was high-pitched and Cockney-accented, so he decided not to imitate his voice.

Note from me: I can just imagine Malcolm hearing those recordings for the first time and thinking, "Hey, I'm not going to talk like that!" Shocked

~ A deleted scene featured Wells meeting a punk who was playing extremely loud boom-box music on a bus in San Francisco. Nicholas Meyer later reused this idea in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986).

Note from me: Forgive me, but I've always thought that scene in Star Trek IV was kinda silly. The obnoxious man on the bus is rendered unconscious by a nerve pinch, and all the passengers applaud. No one cared what the strange man in the white robe DID to the punk did to knock him out instantly?

I know, I know . . . it was just a silly gag. And that fact bothers me too. Rolling Eyes

~ ABC produced a Time After Time (2017) TV series based on this film. ABC removed the series from its schedule due to low ratings after broadcasting five episodes. However, all 12 episodes have been broadcast in Spain and Portugal.

Note from me: Wow! This trailer is very impressive, and the time machine itself is SO much better than that silly thing in the movie, which looks like something from the Beatles' Yellow Submarine animated feature!

________ Time After Time | official trailer (2017)

~ Both this film and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) were written by Nicholas Meyer. This film features a time traveler from the past who arrives in modern day San Francisco, while The Voyage Home features time travelers from the future who arrive in modern day San Francisco.

Both films feature the time travelers experiencing several instances of fish-out-of-water scenarios for comedic effect as well as selling antique items they have in their possession in order to raise money. In both films, a modern day woman decides to join the time travelers as they return to their own time periods.

Note from me: The humor in Time After Time works better, probably because it's easy to accept that a man from the 1800's would do something funny like knock on a Formica table in McDonald's and say, "I've never seen wood like this."

But Kirk and Spock being put off a bus by the driving and then saying to each other, "What did he mean by 'exact change'?" sounds more like stupidity than culture shock. Rolling Eyes

Somewhere in Time (1980)

IMDB has 60 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ While Christopher Reeve was filming this movie, the local theater decided to show his latest hit Superman (1978). Many of the "Somewhere" cast joined the locals for the event. Early into the screening, the sound went out. Reeve, who was seated next to Jane Seymour, stood up in the audience and delivered all the lines.

Note from me: A quaint story . . . but most likely bogus. The theater wouldn't just keep running the movie if the sound system gave out! And Christopher couldn't have remembered "all the lines" very well, I'm sure.

There's lots of reasons to doubt this claim. Rolling Eyes

~ Although the film was a box office disappointment in the United States, it was a huge hit in Asia. Somewhere in Time (1980) is one of the highest-grossing films in China, and played in Hong Kong for eighteen months.

Note from me: Curious. I wonder why this America romantic melodrama was such a hit in China. Confused

~ Playing the older Elise McKenna, actress Susan French only has four words of dialogue in the whole film. These were spoken when she gives Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve) the antique gold fob-watch.

The four words of dialogue were "Come back to me," a very serious key scene in the movie. During one take, as a joke, French said instead four other words, "Have it fixed, dear," which caused the whole set to crack-up with laughter.

Note from me: That's a hoot! Laughing

~ The moment when Richard Collier first sees the portrait of Elise McKenna in the film was also the first time Christopher Reeve saw the portrait. Reeve did not want to see the portrait ahead of time, which helped meet the director's objective of getting a genuine reaction from him when he first sees the portrait as Richard.

Note from me: Christopher's long, slow approach towards the framed photo was brilliantly filmed. At one point he passes through a bright beam of sunlight from a skylight, and the brightness makes it hard for him to see the picture until he gets past the beam and finds himself close to the picture.

It's a symbolic moment that foreshadows his journey into the past so he can meet the woman in the picture. It's a magnificent scene.

________ Somewhere in Time - The Portrait [HD]

~ According to the DVD Bonus Features, Jane Seymour tells a story about Christopher Reeve's airplane, which was parked on the island. Late at night, Seymour and Reeve would discreetly leave and go for plane trips. Seymour states that they flew to Toronto in Canada several times.

Note from me: Holy Mackerel! Christopher might not be Superman, but he actually took the lovely lady out flying at night . . . the way he did with Margot Kidder! Cool

~ The book has Richard knowing that he is dying of a brain tumor, and it ultimately raises the possibility that the whole time-traveling experience was merely a series of hallucinations brought on by the tumor.

Note from me: Well now, doesn't that little tidbit kill the romantic mood in this tale of eternal love? Rolling Eyes

Annedroids (2013)

Good Lord, I LOVE this premise! Very Happy

A young genius who lives in a giant junkyard and uses this treasure trove of parts and materials to create homemade technological wonders!

That is brilliant! Cool

And the show is designed to educate kids about science and the fantastic possibilities of the future!

That is inspirational! Very Happy

I'm a huge fan of the series called Junkyard Wars (aka Scrapheap Challenge), and that was the first thing I thought of when I started reading your post.

Thanks for making us aware of this amazing series!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: