ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-20-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-20-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

For your enjoyment, a fine cocktail of cinematic libations, with the perfect bland of something old and something new.

The "old" in this mixed drink is The Invisible Ray and The Island of Lost Souls.

The "new" is Terminator Salvation, to give the drink a real bite!

Enjoy this delicious beverage — but remember to post responsibly! Very Happy

The Invisible Ray (1936)

I suppose it won't do any harm to finally reveal the long concealed fact that All Sci-Fi's lovely T-Shirt model's real name is Charity, and that she's a medical professional currently residing in California, battling the Coronavirus.

Back when the picture above was taken, she lived two door down from me, near the banks of the duck pond shown behind her in the picture which I've frequently posted.

Back on April 11th, 2011 I knocked on her door one day and boldly asked her if she'd do me a favor by modeling the very first prototype of the All Sci-Fi T-Shirt for my message board.

She was so flattered by the offer that she agreed to a photo session, which we held a few days later on the banks of our town home's duck pond.

Out of about 30 pictures I took with my reliable old Kodak 4 megapixel camera —

— the one in the post above was the best.

Okay, guys, now I know that your all wondering what this has to do with The Invisible Ray? Shocked

Well . . . absolutely nothing . . . Sad

But I felt frustrated that I wasn't able to post a YouTube video of the full movie — or even a link to an inexpensive DVD from Amazon — so I decided to post this warm and fuzzy message about Sweet Charity, who is now in California, fighting to defeat this damn virus!

So, here's the original picture of Charity before I cropped it with Paint.net, made her lovely eyes even greener, and fixed her two front teeth so they weren't longer than the ones on each side.

Trust me, guys . . . she's just as sweet as she looks.

Damn, if only I could edit reality as easily as I do images like this one. Sad

Island of Lost Souls (1932)

IMDB has 40 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ In response to British censors who claimed the film was "against nature", Elsa Lanchester (Mrs. Charles Laughton) is said to have stated, "Of course it's against nature. So's Mickey Mouse!"

Note from me: Wow, I can hear that statement being said in Miss Lanchester's voice! Very Happy

~ This movie was refused a cinema certificate in 1933 by the BBFC and remained banned in the UK until 1958, when it was released with an X certificate with cuts made. Among the board's objections were references to vivisection and "cutting a living man to pieces", and Moreau saying, "Do you know what it means to feel like God?". The film was finally released uncut on DVD in 2011 with a PG certificate.

Note from me: These are such stark examples of how ignorant and blinded by religious dogma people can be. Things are different now, but we've still got a ways to go.

~ Author H.G. Wells disliked this movie adaptation of his novel 'The Island of Doctor Moreau'. Wells felt the film's emphasis on horror overshadowed the novel's philosophical themes.

Note from me: Perhaps it had a different message than Well's novel, but it still manages to deliver a power message.

~ To create the language of the mutants sound-man Loren L. Ryder recorded a mixture of animal sounds and foreign languages, then played them backwards at alternating speeds. The effect: the sound induced nausea and caused the audiences to vomit in the theaters.

Note from me: Forgive me, guys, but this sounds mighty damned bogus from start to finish. I just don't buy the idea.

~ The filmmakers wanted an unknown actress to play Lota, the Panther Woman. Kathleen Burke, their selection, was working as a dentist's assistant at the time. It was her first film role ever.

Note from me: Just a whimsical comment: I have trouble picturing Miss Burke in a white medical uniform, standing next me while I sat in a dentist chair, and saying, "Please open wide, sir. I need to poke around in your mouth . . . " Shocked

~ Inspired the 1981 song of the same name, recorded by Blondie

Note from me: By gum, I think I actually believe this!
Shocked

_______________Blondie - Island Of Lost Souls

~The film was made before the introduction of the Hays Code of film censorship in Hollywood, hence the racy poster and tag line.

Note from me: Perhaps this is poster the item refers to. It doesn't seem so racy now . . . Confused

_______

Terminator Salvation (2009)

Gord, thanks for calling my attention to the fact that this movie can be streamed on Netflix!

I think I'll watch it . . . either right now or in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room (<— link here) with you and Phantom tonight as we planned a few days ago! Very Happy

If not this movie, perhaps one of the three classics I listed in today's Featured Threads, just to honor Bestoink Dooley and those Late Shows we remember.

By the way, all you other folks are invited to join our frequent chats anytime you l like. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: