ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Command (1954)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: The Command (1954) Reply with quote

This is a very enjoyable early 1950s western which has a great deal in common with the classic sci-fi movies from that amazing decade. Consider these similarities.

The rousing music score is by Dimitri Tiomkin, who gave us the great music for The Thing from Another World. The DVD audio of The Command is in stereo and it sounds wonderful.

The movie was filmed in CinemaScope and Technicolor. The photography is terrific.

The star is Guy Madison, the handsome actor who took on The Beast of Hollow Mountain. He was also the star of the Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok, a TV series I loved as a kid from 1951 to 1958.

The lovely heroine is Joan Weldon, who dazzled audiences in Them! as the attractive and intelligent entomologist who helped James Arness defeat the giant ants.

Robert Nichols is one of the cavalry soldiers, and sci-fi fans will recognize him from both The Thing from Another World and This Island Earth.

The basic plot of the movie is a conflict between science and the military. Capt. Robert MacClaw (Guy Madison) hides the fact that he's a doctor who's been put in charge of a cavalry unit facing hostile Indians. He's aware of a potential threat of Small Pox in a wagon train while he battles with bullheaded cavalry officers and incompetent military doctors.

The story puts Guy Madison's character in a delicate position, a man who balances his dedication to medicine to his need to command a unit of cavalry soldiers through a dangerous situation.

This movie offers wonderful characters and tense situations to create a story that keeps its audience on the edge of their seats. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE this one!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the Westerns Channel, and after seeing it there many years ago I bought the DVD.

However, both TCM and the INSP channel frequently show Westerns, so I'm getting my "Cowboy" fix on a regular basis.

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Command (1954) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . The lovely heroine is Joan Weldon, who dazzled audiences in Them! as the attractive and intelligent entomologist who helped James Arness defeat the giant ants.

I never realized a vaccination could be so erotic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: