ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 7-3-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 7-3-22 Reply with quote

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

This Sunday's Featured Threads are all about "Space . . . the final frontier . . ."

No, not Star Trek. Real space stuff, like fishing for asteroids in a catch-and-release pond called the asteroid belt.

Then there's a sneak peek at the latest fashion wear for folks who don't need a place that has "real atmosphere" — because they bring their own! Cool

And finally, if you wonder what the Jet Set is drinking in the ultimate penthouse apartment (in other words, the ISS) the beverage-of-choice happens to be whisky — which the astronauts are brewing themselves in an experiment allegedly to determine if whisky brewed in zero gravity will get you higher than whisky brewed on Earth.

Or something like that . . . Rolling Eyes

How to Grab an Asteroid and Park It Near Earth

Incredible Technology: How to Grab an Asteroid and Park It Near Earth

By Miriam Kramer, Staff Writer | March 31, 2014 05:27pm ET

NASA's plan to lasso an asteroid, bring it into a stable orbit near the moon and let astronauts visit it might sound ambitious, but the space agency is looking at two different ways to make it happen.

In one mission, a robotic probe would fly out to a small asteroid and bring the whole thing back for astronauts to explore. The other mission involves the robot bagging a boulder from a larger space rock and parking it near the moon.

Either one will help scientists work out some of technological hurdles that they could come up against while sending humans deeper into space than ever before. The new mission, first proposed in 2013, could also help researchers learn more about how to deflect a dangerous asteroid if it were on a path to Earth.

Getting to the asteroid, bringing it home and launching missions to the space rock from Earth, is no easy task, but it could serve a larger goal for NASA. By testing new technology, mission parameters and other science that hasn't yet been proved, officials with the space agency will learn more about how to accomplish the space agency's latest and greatest goal: launching astronauts to Mars.

"We really make a big deal out of this [asteroid] initiative, but you should all understand, this is a tiny, tiny piece of getting humans to Mars," NASA chief Charles Bolden said during a forum on the asteroid initiative Wednesday (March 26). "I don't want anybody to lose focus on that.

The ultimate goal of this agency right now when it comes to human spaceflight is to put humans on Mars. That's hard. That is really hard. We need a proving ground to develop some of the technologies and everything else."

[Read the whole article at the link below.]

(Me: I couldn't help noticing a resemblance. Just FYI, folks.)

A Spacesuit Fashion Show from Bud LeBrewster!

Boy am I glad I put this post on Trek BBS after creating it here. I was able to copy and paste it back to The New All Sci-Fi!

Next to rockets and saucers, fans of classic science fiction just love spacesuits!

A spacesuit isn't just a fashion statement reserved for intrepid space explorers, a spacesuit is the ultimate expression of mankind's ability to control his environment. While wearing a spacesuit, a person can thumb his nose at the interstellar vacuum, laugh in the face of deadly radiation, and scoff at the perils of killer meteoroids!

Okay, sorry, that last one is still a major problem. But if a spacesuit is tough enough, the wearer can stride forth on an alien planet with a toxic atmosphere while he hums Singing in the Acid Rain and dances around the pools of lava that dot the landscape! Cool

Yeah, yeah, I'm getting carried away. Back to the subject at hand.

I do have a point, and here it is: spacesuits don't have to be "all function and no form", because that would make Astronaut Jack a dull boy. So I'd like to start a gallery of truly stellar spacesuits, the best of the best, the crem de la crem of cosmic attire.

And so, without further adieu, Star Trek BBS proudly presents a Fall Fashion Show of Outer Space Apparel.

Mesdames et Messieurs, we begin today's extravaganza with these examples of classic deep space accoutrements from Conquest of Space. This outfit is recommended as a springtime garment. The white color will keep you cool — an important consideration in the direct sunlight of space.

However, it should be noted that the white fabric is difficult to keep clean, and it may not fare well if one is caught in a sudden April meteor shower.

Next we have these elegant items from Destination Moon, which come in a variety of festive colors.

No well-dressed lunar explorer would dare go outdoors without this ensemble, which includes a durable chaffing suit, roomy space helmet, and user-friendly control panel right at the wearer's fingertips.

* Oxygen bottle for space joyrides not included.

From the glamorous world of network television we present Star Trek (TOS) and that dashing clothes horse himself — James T. Kirk, resplendent in this form-fitting ensemble of silver lame' fabric with colorful piping. The helmet provides air for the wearer and protection from those pesky space mosquitoes.

In later years, the crew of the Enterprise traded in their old threads for these snappy 23th Century ensembles.

As the Golden Age of Science Fiction came to a close, a new age began with a movie released in the middle of the 20th Century which was set at the beginning of the 21st.

2001: A Space Odyssey thrilled the world and made science fiction cool for the general population — no longer the exclusive province of forward-thinking nerds and visionary geeks.

__

Since this is an international fashion show, we offer these entries from the Land of the Cossacks — mother Russia and all her little Ruskies. In Planeta Bur, the cosmonauts were cool and comfortable in these flexible outfits, suitable for exploring on foot or cruising around in their convertible Cadillac Levitator.

Quite the fashion divas, these well-appointed comrades, when it comes to lookin' good on Venus, the Planet of Love!

Now that "21st Century reality" has overtaken "Fifties Futuristic fashions", we conclude our fashion show with these sexy garbs from Armageddon, Prometheus and Red Planet.

The wearers of these alluring environmental suits are afforded an unobstructed view of their surroundings while providing delicious eye candy for all the lucky folks permitted to admire them.

Bravo, boys and girls!

And there you have it, a whirlwind tour through the world of Space Age accessories. We hope you found this presentation both entertaining and enlightening. But we can't help but wonder . . . will spacesuits become even better?

Even tighter?

Even sexier?

Oh, yes. Yes, indeed . . .

Whiskey in Space (hic!)

This is puzzling. According the article at the link below, an odd experiment being performed aboard the ISS.

www.gizmag.com/space-whisky/33594/

Here's a paragraph from the article.

Sent to the ISS at the invitation of NanoRacks LLC, the purpose of the experiment was to see how zero gravity affects whisky maturation; the process where the terpene and other compounds interact with the charred oak that lines whisky barrels as the spirit ages. As the vials on the ISS orbited the Earth, identical samples back in Scotland acted as a control for comparison.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this seem pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things? They want to find out how "gravity affects whiskey maturation"?

Ummm . . . why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: