ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Star Trek Probably Won't Get A New Show For Awhile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Why Star Trek Probably Won't Get A New Show For Awhile Reply with quote

Why Star Trek Probably Won't Get A New Show For Awhile
By Adam Holmes, CINEMABLEND

While some fans have been critical about the new Star Trek films, their overall success has helped revitalize the franchise. This led to rumors about Star Trek making a return to television after a decade-long absence. Last month, it was reported that CBS was working on a Star Trek series with X-Men: Apocalypse director Bryan Singer, but apparently that isn't true. In fact, according to actor Jonathan Frakes, it's unlikely we'll see Star Trek return to the small screen at all in the coming years.

As described by Leader-Post, Frakes, who played Commander William Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation and its subsequent films, told fans at Fan Expo Regina 2015 that he pitched a concept for a new Star Trek series to CBS, the owners of the franchise. Unfortunately for him, the network wasn't interested in moving forward with the idea. The primary reason is because they felt the brand had been diluted in the late 1990s-early 2000s, which eventually culminated in the failure of the feature film, Star Trek: Nemesis. Since the reboot films have been so successful, their goal now is to keep the Star Trek world "as focused and concentrated as possible", which means there's no room to add a TV series to the mix.

Last year, Star Trek Into Darkness director J.J. Abrams mentioned that CBS had no interest in making another Star Trek TV series, so Frakes' narrative is hardly surprising. After Star Trek: The Original Series aired from 1966-1969, the franchise returned to television in 1987 with Star Trek: The Next Generation. That was followed by Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in 1993, Star Trek: Voyager in 1995 and Star Trek: Enterprise in 2001, giving TV viewers an uninterupted 18-year run of Star Trek shows until Enterprise was cancelled in 2005.

In the late "90s-early 2000s time period Frakes mentioned, there were often at least two shows on, not to mention the Next Generation films. Four years later, the franchise headed back to theaters with 2009's Star Trek, which focused on the crew from the Original Series meeting for the first time in an altered timeline. All of this isn't to say that Star Trek will never return to TV, but it's likely it won't be until the new films have either run their course or until a point is reached where CBS believes that a TV series would fit with their vision for the franchise.

While a Star Trek TV series may not be in the cards for the near future, the movies will still be flying our way. Fans can look forward to the next film, rumored to be titled Star Trek Beyond, landing in theaters on July 8, 2016.

LINK:
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Why-Star-Trek-Probably-Won-t-Get-Show-Awhile-71650.html
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your concept,Renegade,for a new Star Trek series, Bud.

Many fans moan the absence of a Trek show on TV.

I have not. I say that as a devoted fan from ST's September debut in 1966, follower of the other 4 Trek series, & fan of the first 9 films. JJ's movies turned Star Trek into Star Wars & they don't work for me.

So I was burned out on ST.

I was more excited about seeing fresh, original, sf shows come along. And some were fantastic such as Space: Above & Beyond, Farscape (A real fav of mine), Firefly.

Sure, not all new sf shows set in space work but at least I'm not looking at Vulcans, Klingons, etc for the bazillionth time.

But I like your premise, Bud, & would sign up for another trip to the ST Universe.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the perfect idea for a series years ago and I'm sure it would work. Briefly, it's about a group of crewmen from a Starfleet ship who are unjustly court-martialed to cover up the blunder of an admiral, and they band together to crew a relative small ship I called the Renagade. That name his since been used in Star Trek related projects.

(* Picture here just because I like it.)

The beauty of the concept is that it does what TOS, Voyage. and Enterprise did well — put a starship on its own, against fiercesome odds, and make the characters face daunting challenges.

The Renegade's crew hire themselves out for challenging missions while also working to uncover the plot that got them expelled from Starfleet so they can clear their names.

(* I like this one too.)

There are Starfleet captains who know they're innocent, and others who despise them because they believe they're guilty, so the Renegade crewmen are sometimes in the company of friends, other times not so much.

The series would involve everything we love about Star Trek, but the main characters can choose when to follow the old Starfleet rules (just because they have good reasons to exist), and when to break the rules when they think they should!

(* But I'm partial to the two above. Very Happy )

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogtrkker's initial post above from 2015 certainly seems ironic, now that there are several new streaming Star Trek series.

Star Trek: Discover, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds are awesome series, so the long "Trek drought" is definitely over. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: