ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man and the Moon (Disneyland program 1955)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Oh, yes, sounds very reasonable. Sounded reasonable right from the beginning. I just saw actors being blamed for bad special effects and took off a-runnin'.

Bad special effects? Caused by the actors?

Gosh . . . how did that idea sneak into a discussion about how the budget for Man and the Moon was probably about the same as a big budget '50s sci-fi movie, if you subtract the money that would usually be spent on a cast of known actors and a few dozens extras — instead of just four unknowns.

Heck, I thought that was just math! Shocked

(Forgive the recap, Rick, but I thought I saw the horse twitch, and I just had to smack it one more time to be sure it was dead! Very Happy)

Anyway, I'm certainly glad we got THAT cleared up.
Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Barry was very nearly making his debut as a leading man in War of the Worlds. If you look at his screen credits on IMDb you'll find that his prior work was mostly in nonrecurring roles on assorted TV series. He had a couple movie roles around the same time as WOTW, and had the lead in The Atomic City the year before WOTW, but nothing that qualified him as a "name" actor.

Grant Williams had a few more credits under his belt than Gene by the time of The Incredible Shrinking Man.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Barry stated in an interview (on the WotW's special features, I think) that he felt like a real movie star after WotW. He was grateful for the role, and he's enjoyed all the attention it's gotten him from the fans over the years. Very Happy

Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an acquaintance (not really a friend, can't even remember the guy's name) who lost his job because of Gene Barry.

This guy was the host at a mid-to-upscale restaurant in Manhattan. His job was to see that reservations were taken and kept and make sure everyone is happy. This was in the '80s.

Gene Barry was in town, appearing on Broadway in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES. One evening he came to the restaurant with some friends, but with no reservation. My acquaintance told him there was no table available.

At this point, Mr. Barry pulled the celebrity card (no slight on him, this is sort of standard, expected procedure in NYC or LA). Unfortunately, the host was not a WAR OF THE WORLDS or BAT MASTERSON or AMOS BURKE fan. He didn't recognize Gene Barry's face or name.

Evidently things got a mite heated and Gene and co. left. But later, he complained to management, and my acquaintance was fired for not knowing his second-tier stars (and probably for letting things get out of hand.)

Again, no slight to Gene Barry. It may not be the most attractive thing to use your celebrity status to gain access, but it is common and pretty normal.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the autobiography of the terrific actor James Best that he wrote not too long before passing.

Jim worked with Gene Barry on Barry's Amos Burke: Secret Agent TV series.

Barry was not a nice guy according to Best.

Singer Rosey Clooney did a movie with Barry & in her autobiography shared Jim's opinion about Barry.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Read the autobiography of the terrific actor James Best that he wrote not too long before passing

Barry was not a nice guy according to Best.

Singer Rosey Clooney did a movie with Barry & in her autobiography shared Jim's opinion about Barry.

That's good to hear. I seem to remember a few posts in other threads that quoted actors who had less kindly things to say about Barry. Sad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although YouTube has several fine versions of the Disney episode, Man and the Moon, none of them has the Leonard Maltin introduction which the DVD features.

But I did find the intro. Enjoy!

___Disney's Man and the Moon - Intro by Leonard Maltin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: