ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Stepmother is an Alien (1988)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: My Stepmother is an Alien (1988) Reply with quote

Extra silly take on the whole 'visiting alien from outer space' concept. I've always considered Richard Benjamin, who began as an actor, to be just a middle-of-the-road director. His films aren't too bad, but not very good either.

That includes this one. For example, characters tend to repeat certain statements, as if that would make it more funny, not tedious.

Even for a science fiction premise, the science is way off on this one. Aykroyd plays a radical scientist obsessed with contacting alien intelligence in outer space via radio waves. An accident causes his signal to go much further than planned, to another galaxy, making him speculate that it went at the speed of light. However, even at that speed, it would take a million years to reach another galaxy.

____________ My Stepmother is an Alien Trailer

Aykroyd is fired from his university job for almost overloading the building, but he doesn't know that his signal has netted far more results than he bargained for. Very soon, Kim Basinger arrives in her spaceship to investigate the origin of the signal.

Though she is given an instant course in Earth customs & expressions by her personal alien computer, much of the information is flawed, causing her to behave in a slightly bizarre manner in the eyes of Earthlings.

Aykroyd, however, is quickly enchanted by her and, even though her newly-acquired knowledge doesn't include the sex act, the two end up in bed only hours after meeting, and marriage soon after — the rationale is that marriage will cause him to dwell more on scientific pursuits and provide the alien with some answers. Rolling Eyes

The film is a hit-and-miss affair — Basinger's alien computer aide (voiced by Ann Prentiss), hidden in what looks like a ladies purse and sometimes snaking out like a devious mechanical serpent, is always amusing. But Benjamin also prolongs many scenes past the point of interest. Basinger tends to giggle at times, supposedly to be cute, but it's just dopey.

Jon Lovitz, usually amusing in other film roles, is also inconsistent and just annoying as Aykroyd's less scientific brother and improbable ladies man.

This was the first big film role for Alyson Hannigan as the daughter; she's best known for her regular roles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and How I Met Your Mother.

As indicated by the title, her character is the one who first suspects that her new mom is not from around here (she spots her consuming battery acid, for one thing), starting at the wedding, but her attempts to warn her dad are fruitless. The climax includes a possible end-of-the-world scenario, but this is quickly dispatched with more silliness. Just silly, Silly, silly.

BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

Trivia is an Alien: An early small role for Juliette Lewis as one of Hannigan's friends, a few years before the Cape Fear remake. She's blonde here; also Seth Green, as Hannigan's first date. Harry Shearer provides the voice of a faux Carl Sagan in one scene. At one point, Basinger's alien specifies that she's from a solar system 92 light years away, not another galaxy, but even then, it would have taken 92 years for Aykroyd's signal to reach that far.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BoG's critical comments about this alleged comedy, but his rating is too high. A 6 out 10? I'd say more like just 3 or 4.

Maybe lower. Rolling Eyes

His comment below is correct, but he seems to let the movie off the hook for one particular science blunder.

Bogmeister wrote:
Aykroyd plays a radical scientist obsessed with contacting alien intelligence in outer space via radio waves. An accident causes his signal to go much further than planned, to another galaxy, making him speculate that it went at the speed of light. However, even at that speed, it would take a million years to reach another galaxy.

Wait . . . Aykroyd speculates that his signal went at the speed of light? Hell's bells, are there radio signals that DON'T go at the speed of light? Confused

Let's give this movie a 2, just for that one dumb-ass statement. Rolling Eyes

On a more positive note, the love scene has some interesting points. (wink wink). Cool

_________ Kim Basinger - Pump Up The Volume

Frankly, however, I did notice a few puzzling things in that scene. In years gone by, I've had a few lovely ladies in my bedroom who engaged in romantic activities . . . but they never moved in slow motion, and I don't recall any stiff breezes blowing in their part of the room! Confused

Curious.

Gee, maybe I was doing it wrong! Sad

By the way, I find it interesting that Miss Basinger wore a similar silk slip for her erotic dance in 9 1/2 Weeks, to the tune of Joe Cocker's hit, You Can Leave Your Hat On.

Warning! Miss Basinger shakes her unadorned tail feathers at the end of the video. This might be deemed inappropriate for young children, old ladies, and men with weak hearts! Shocked

________ Joe Cocker - You Can Leave You Hat On

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stepmother is an Alien (1988) Reply with quote

Bogmeister wrote:
. . . At one point, Basinger's alien specifies that she's from a solar system 92 light years away, not another galaxy, but even then, it would have taken 92 years for Aykroyd's signal to reach that far.

Most screenwriters are scientifically illiterate. They casually toss around words like "intergalactic" and "another galaxy" without having a clue what a galaxy is and what a solar system is. At 100,000 light-years across and containing 100 billion stars, our own Milky Way galaxy is almost inconceivably big. And there are millions upon millions of galaxies in the known universe! The human mind simply isn't wired to comprehend things on such a scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: