ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Like It Hot (1959)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Some Like It Hot (1959) Reply with quote

A rare color photo! Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe and Billy Wilder.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to some random post on Tumblr, Marilyn Monroe wanted "Some Like It Hot" (1959) to he filmed in colour, and even wrote so in her contract. The film was done in black & white because director Billy Wilder thought that co-stars Tony Curtis & Jack Lemmon would look more believable as women if shot in black and white.

Whether this is a proper colour photograph, or cunningly converted into colour, I don't know, but it looks convincing!

As far as I can remember, the title comes from a discussion about music, and the merits of jazz. "Some like it hot - I myself prefer classical music."
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I like some of all kinds of music, but classical will always be a favorite. Give me Mozart any day!

I even have a new appreciation of rap after seeing Lin Manuel Miranda's HAMILTON.

Speaking of classics....MM will always be a classic icon of womanhood.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got to be one of the 50 or so funniest movies ever made. That first shot of Lemmon and Curtis in disguise at the train station, tottering on their high heels, cracks me up every time I see it.

And black-and-white was the right choice. The drag makeup would have looked grotesque in color.

Custer wrote:
. . . As far as I can remember, the title comes from a discussion about music, and the merits of jazz. "Some like it hot - I myself prefer classical music."

The film's working title was Not Tonight, Josephine! (supposedly the punchline of a dirty joke about Napoleon and Josephine). The final title Some Like It Hot comes from the nursery rhyme about porridge: "Some like it hot / Some like it cold / Some like it in the pot / Nine days old." Of course, it can also refer to jazz -- or sex.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I was forgetting the nursery rhyme "Pease Pudding Hot," or apparently "Pease Porridge Hot," but I do have long-time memories of the Tony Curtis character, not in drag, doing his Cary Grant impression voice and trying to impress Marilyn Monroe with his appreciation of classical music.

The general feeling seems to be that the decision to make it in black & white was so that the makeup would seem more convincing. It must have been one of the last major, big-budget films made that way...?
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Just off the top of my head, I can think of The Longest Day and The Manchurian Candidate (1962), The List of Adrian Messenger (1963), Seven Days in May (1964), Mirage (1965), Mister Buddwing and Seconds (both 1966) -- all major studio "A" pictures made in black-and-white after Some Like It Hot.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks good even eating lunch!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes this movie enjoyable is the way it takes two actors — both of whom are famous for their roles as girl-chasing playboys — and turns them into Drag Queens forced to masquerade as women so they won't get murdered by mobsters. Shocked

And then, of course, the story throws in Marilyn Monroe to complicate the situation. Rolling Eyes

The famous last scene, of course, further complicates the situation. Is Joe E. Brown's character completely unconcerned about the gender of Jack Lemon's character and still wants to marry him . . . . or has be been aware of Lemon's ruse all along and he's been going along with it just for the hell of it? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: