ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nichelle Nichols RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Nichelle Nichols RIP Reply with quote

Nichelle Nichols, an actress whose role as the communications chief Uhura in the original “Star Trek” franchise in the 1960s helped break ground on TV by showing a Black woman in a position of authority and who shared with co-star William Shatner one of the first interracial kisses on American prime-time television, died July 30 at 89.
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news but she did live long and prosper.

3 left.

I met her twice, at the 1976 Boston Star Trek con and again at the 2006 Seattle Trek Con.

In 1976 I was 16. My friend Bill and I were in the elevator at the con with a few other fan boys.

The elevator stops, the doors open and in walks Nichelle.

All of us just freeze, She says in her most sultry voice "Hello Boys".

My friend Bill recovered and asked her how she was.

She was a class act.

Rest in peace.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too met her at a Trek con in the 70's (I forget which one) .

I aprouched her at her signing table and some how got out "I've been in love with you since the first time I saw you!"

As she signed my picture of her she said with a wink "That was the plan!"

She then gave me the kind of smile that makes clouds go away and the Sun shine through.

She was indeed a class act!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late "Star Trek" actress Nichelle Nichols’ ashes will boldly go where few have gone before when they are launched into space aboard a historic Enterprise Flight later this year.

Nichols, who was known for playing the iconic Lieutenant Nyota Uhura on all three seasons of the original show from 1966-1969, died on July 31. She was 89.

Launching later this year on board United Launch Alliance’s aptly named Vulcan rocket, Nichols will live long and prosper among the stars through Celestis Inc., the leader in memorial spaceflights.

Nichols' remains will be joining late "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry, who died in 1991, and his deceased wife and "First Lady of ‘Star Trek’" Majel Barrett Roddenberry, who passed in 2008.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The passing of so many folks I grew watching on the silver screen and CRT screen saddens me, of course — just as it does for every member of All Sci-Fi.

The death of each beloved star makes me feel just a bit older each time it happens. But it's better to "feel old" than to cease feeling altogether, so I try to "feel luck" instead.

Gentlemen, the bar is now ready to serve each patron the signature beverage of All Sci-Fi — our Vulcan Mind Melt. Please lift your glasses high and think fond thoughts of a great lady whose spirit now dwells among the stars.

~ The Space Children (1958)
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drink my PAN GALACTIC GARGLEBLASTER right after I use some to remove some paint!

Directions Instructions

Step 1
Place sugar cube on a small vessel. Drop bitters on top; let soak to produce an Algolian suntiger tooth.

Step 2
Fuse salt and water together in a concave apparatus until dissolved to yield Santraginus V sea water.

Step 3
Combine the Santraginus V sea water, Arcturan Mega-gin (gin), and O'l Janx Spirit (tequila) in a serving vessel. Release Fallian marsh gas (effervescent tablet) into the solution. Decant Qualactin Hypermint extract (schnapps) over the back of a spoon held just above the liquid's surface.

Step 4
Transfer the Algolian Suntiger tooth into the concoction; let dissolve. Stir in Zamphuor (ice) to decrease the temperature to 32 degrees F (0 degrees C). Funnel an olive into the final product. 'Drink... but... very carefully...'

Here's to you Nichelle, hailing frequencies open!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOS followed 7 main members of the U.S.S. Enterprise's bridge crew as they explored the galaxy, and dealt with various conflicts. Since TOS premiered, many of the series' original cast members have tragically passed away, including Leonard Nimoy (Spock), DeForest Kelley (Bones), James Doohan (Scotty), Majel Barrett Roddenberry (Nurse Chapel), and the show's creator, Gene Roddenberry.

Nichelle Nichols, who was famously known for playing Uhura in TOS, passed away in late July 2022 at age 89. After her years spent on Star Trek, Nichols would go on to work with NASA on a special project dedicated to recruiting women and minority personnel. The program would go on to recruit Dr. Sally Ride, the first American female astronaut, and Guion Bluford, the first Black astronaut.

Nichols is remembered not only for breaking barriers on television with Star Trek but for her incredibly important work with real-life space travel as well. Almost a month after Nichols' death, it has been announced via Universe Today that a gram of Nichols' ashes, along with DNA samples taken from her and her son Kyle Johnson, will be launched into space. Celestis, a memorial spaceflight organization, will be sending Nichols' ashes into space on the "Enterprise" memorial mission, on a rocket named "Vulcan." The launch is scheduled to take place as early as December of 2022.

The "Enterprise" flight will launch from Cape Canaveral in Florida, and the rocket will "travel through deep space, leaving the Earth-Moon system."

Along with Nichols' ashes will be the ashes of Doohan, Barrett Roddenberry, and Roddenberry. The "Enterprise" flight will also be carrying the ashes, DNA, messages, and inscribed names of other participants who have paid for the experience. Pricing for memorial spaceflights with Celestis ranges between $2,495 and $25,000.

In a testimonial from Doohan's wife, she writes that Doohan would have given anything to go into space and that the memorial spaceflight finally gives him his wish. While Nichols was never able to visit space herself - though, she did board a stratospheric observatory in 2015 - sending some of her ashes into space means she is finally able to visit the final frontier.

Even though they have passed away, Nichols, Doohan, and the Roddenberrys changed space travel forever - and now, they're finally able to boldly go where only their Star Trek characters have gone before.

Source: Universe Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: