ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Riders to the Stars (1954)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
There is something special about Tors' scifi movies and TV shows.

I saw all of these Tors products as a kid, and that's about when I became interested in "hard" scifi books, too. Authors like Asimov and Clarke were my favorites. All of these movies and books had one thing in common: they were very "scientific" and had a sense of wonder that others didn't have.

Steve, you're singing my favorite song! Very Happy

I only remember a few episodes of Ivan Tors Science Fiction Theatre from my actual childhood viewings, but I've enjoyed all the episodes in recent years, sharing them with the late Bulldogtrekker while we chatted on Facebook.

Coincidentally, Riders to the Stars was a special favorite of his, and I shared it with him a few times just as favor, despite my own lack of enthusiasm for the movie.

It's a shame that vintage science fiction movies and TV series were so hampered by low budgets, not to mention studio heads who just didn't have any real respect for science or science fiction.

Part of the problem, as we all know, is the fact that so much of science fiction is dependent on good special effects to present the elements of the stories that are well outside of normal reality. That was really tough to do in the era before CGI.

So, the audience wouldn't get a very good appreciation for the wild ideas being pitched to them, because the scenes which depicted these wild ideas sometimes looked so fake.

Ah, well . . . times change.

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
It's a shame that vintage science fiction movies and TV series were so hampered by low budgets, not to mention studio heads who just didn't have any real respect for science or science fiction.

Bud, one thing to consider is that the majority of these movies were made by Poverty Row studios. Some couldn't even be considered Poverty Row. NONE of their movies had large budgets. They did the best they could with the money and resources they had.

I'm thankful that they used their meager resources to make these films...Well most of these films.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, those small studios did the best they could.

But the sad part about all this is that the only people the writers and directors could get to finance science fiction were those Poverty Row folks, because the more affluent Hollywood crowd just didn't have much respect for the genre.

I'm glad that Hollywood now realizes they can spend millions of dollars (sometimes hundreds of millions), and science fiction can actually make gigantic profits.

It's so ironic that most of today's blockbusters are science fiction and superhero movies! That's a complete reversal of the attitude of the 1950s. And I think it's due in large part to the fact the eye-popping special effects can make things like a major earthquake along the west coast look absolutely real, complete with buildings toppling over while a small plane flies right between them!

No obvious miniatures, like the old days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: