ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Francis in the Haunted House (1956)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Francis in the Haunted House (1956) Reply with quote

Wikipedia "Francis in the Haunted House" was released by Universal-International on July 20, 1956.

Directed by Charles Lamont whose credits include: Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951), Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1953), Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy (1955). So this gent knows his way around filming horror material.

Synopsis: Francis the Talking Mule witnesses a murder and then befriends bumbling reporter David Prescott (Mickey Rooney), who may be next in line. With Francis help and guidance, Prescott discovers a mystery involving murder, an inheritance, and a spooky old mansion.

No, I haven't lost my mind recommending a silly film about a talking animal. I just have always loved the blend of comedy and horror genres.

This ended up being the seventh and final entry in the U-I film franchise about Francis the Talking Mule. It's considered the weakest in the film series' of Francis films.

However, I'm a sucker for spooky/comedy movies.

Mickey Rooney stars and, as always, puts his considerable talents to use in the film. Rooney was a huge star but by the 1950s his career was on the wan even if his tremendous talent wasn't.

Mickey replaces Donald O'Connor in the series. Donald had played Francis sidekick, Peter Sterling, in the first six films. O'Connor left the series with the comment "When you've made six pictures and the mule gets more fan mail..."

No explanation in the movie explains the absence of Peter at all. I think studios don't always have much respect for their audiences. They probably thought who would notice that Francis was now teamed with Mickey Rooney and not Donald O'Connor. Or care?

Donald was also a greatly talented performer (just like Mickey), who could sing and dance very well. Both could play funny, likable and down to earth fellas that excelled at comedy.

The "Haunted House" is a misnomer as it is really a castle. And not just any castle, but the impressive looking exterior castle set that was long utilized as a part of the Universal Studios back lot and featured in numerous films. It is extensively seen in the Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh 50s film "The Black Shield of Falworth."

The interior sets are equally well done and loaded with one of my favorite plot devices: secretly moving walls.

The supporting cast all do a fine job.

Western actor Chill Wills had voiced Francis with his distinctive voice for the first six films but was replaced in this movie by noted voice-over actor Paul Frees when Chill wanted more money. Frees does a fairly decent imitation of Wills' voice for the film.

I'm not a particular fan of the Francis movies and never have been. At least they do give him, or the voice-over actor, some funny and sarcastic lines. And Francis is usually the smartest one in the room, which is kinda neat.

The movie could have easily been done without him and just focused on the huge comedic abilities of Rooney alone.

If you are like me and enjoy Mickey Rooney, an awesome looking and scary castle, along with murder, mystery, and mayhem mixed in with liberal doses of humor, you might just get a kick out of this film.

It is a "B" movie and nowhere's near a classic. It does have some funny moments. Perfect for a Halloween night to view. The kids won't get too frightened.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, I saw this one at the Roosevelt Drive-in! Very Happy

It's the only Francis movie I've seen. I'm sure it was this one, because my earliest memories of the Roosevelt are from 1956 when I saw Earth vs the Flying Saucers and The Werewolf.

Pow wrote:
If you are like me and enjoy Mickey Rooney, an awesome looking and scary castle, along with murder, mystery, and mayhem mixed in with liberal doses of humor, you might just get a kick out of this film..

Ha! I get it!

"You might get a kick out of this film" . . . about a mule! Laughing

_____ Francis in The Haunted House movie trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: