ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wikipedia article for this movie is very interesting. It has several items I was not aware of, and it also has a few statements I'm not sure are correct.

Here are a few examples.

Wikipedia wrote:
Ray Harryhausen animated the film's flying saucers using stop-motion animation. Harryhausen also animated the falling masonry when saucers crash into government buildings and monuments in order to make the action appear realistic.

Some figure animation was used to show the aliens emerging from the saucers.

I'm pretty sure the last sentence is incorrect. The only "figure animation" is the scene where the aliens dump the bodies of the general and the policeman out of the saucer as it flies over the burning forest.

Wikipedia wrote:
The voice of the aliens was produced from a recording made by Paul Frees (uncredited) reading their lines and then hand-jiggling the speed control of an analog reel-to-reel tape recorder, so that it continually wavered from a slow bass voice to one that is high and fast.

Although Paul Frees voice was definitely given a wavering quality to make it sound alien, it certainly did not "continually wavere from a slow bass voice to one that is high and fast".

Weather of not the waver was created by "hand-jiggling the speed control of an analog reel-to-reel tape recorder" is debatable. The waver seems to happen to quickly for it to have been caused by varying the speed of the recorder.

Wikipedia wrote:
During a question-and-answer period at a tribute to Ray Harryhausen and a screening of Jason and the Argonauts held in Sydney, Australia, Harryhausen said he sought advice from noted 1950s UFO "contactee" George Adamski on the depiction of the flying saucers used in the film.

I like the the fact that Ray was curious about what and alleged contactee thought about the saucers. Very Happy

Wikipedia wrote:
The film's iconic flying saucer design (a static central cabin with an outer rotating ring with slotted vanes) matches descriptions given to Maj. Donald Keyhoe of flying disc sightings in his best-selling flying saucer book.

When I was about thirteen years old my friends and I would read library copies of Major Keyhoe's books aloud to each other when we'd have weekend sleep-overs. The descriptions of several alien encounters were genuinely scary! Shocked

Wikipedia wrote:
The four-issue comic book mini-series Flying Saucers vs. the Earth (2008), released by TidalWave Productions as part of their Ray Harryhausen Signature Series, re-imagined the events of the film from the perspective of the alien invaders, identified here as the Sons of Aberrann.

A preview of the first issue was included on the 50th Anniversary DVD release of the film.

Good grief! My DVD has that preview.

I took a look at the 15 images the preview includes, and even though the artwork was colorful and beautiful rendered, it was difficult to tell what was happening and I just couldn't get involved in the story. Very Happy

The best of the bunch is this one.

But the rest were like this . . .

Obviously this was intended for an audience who is two generations behind mine — those much younger people whose minds have been conditioned by the culture of the last 60 years . . .

The brains of my generation are locked into the Baby Boomer era.

So, our own mental binary language is not compatible with that of the young people today, the ones who have never seen a phone booth or read a newspaper . . . or gone to a high school sock hop! Very Happy

I pity those poor little darlin's.

They've grown up in a world plagued by a global pandemic that's getting worse instead of better — while stupid idiots refuse to get either the vaccine OR wear the masks because they want to "like free".

What they really want it to die stupid . . . and they will.

Mean while, the Federal Government is composed of two factions who both want to make sure they're political party stays in control and continues to strangle the country just for they're own selfish benefit. Sad

Frankly, guys, if real alien invaders ever threatened the planet, all the politicians would actually do is flee Washington and hide in their home states — hoping that the aliens would wipe all the folks everywhere else who couldn't vote for them . . . Rolling Eyes

Oh dear Lord, my prayer is that you'll return us to a simpler time — when our kids loved us, our wives cooked our favorite dinner once a week, and our government officials would be ruined for life if they were ever caught on tape saying something as disgusting as the claim that they could grab a woman's pussy anytime they felt like it! Shocked

Wow . . . those were the days, eh? Confused

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mrgodzilla.com/misc/HP1a.jpg
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Bud. The covers are pretty good though.

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Harryhausen was asked why he used stop-motion animation for the destruction of the buildings. He said that he had to, because the budget didn't allow for the use of pyrotechnic destruction of the miniature buildings. It was a royal pain, because every piece of masonry had to be suspended from a wire. It must have been a task equal to the skeleton battle in "Jason and the Argonauts".

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took Ray four days in order to shoot the destruction of the Supreme Court building. He had to laboriously animate each brick or stone that fell, on separate wires.

The wires were held by a specially constructed rig called an aerial brace which was fixed above the animation table. The wires hold the object being animated firmly in place.

The main body of the Capitol Building was a large still cutout photograph with the dome missing. A miniature model of the dome was pre-broken and then reassembled again with wires holding it all together.

Ray said that filming this sequence of the movie was tortuous and that he never wanted to do this amount of work ever again.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet you look at the destruction of the White House in INDEPENDENCE DAY and see how easily it could be realized with under cranking the film and no more extensive modeling effort.

The results matter.

Stop motion was reaching the end of its' revelance to the movie making technology and a combined CGI and practical effects was on the horizon.

I would like to think...as Phil Tibbet realized with JURRASIC PARK... that Rays' talents could be translated to the newer technology.

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I took a look at the 15 images the preview includes, and even though the artwork was colorful and beautiful rendered, it was difficult to tell what was happening and I just couldn't get involved in the story. Very Happy

Obviously this was intended for an audience who is two generations behind mine — those much younger people whose minds have been conditioned by the culture of the last 60 years . . .

Can you tell in what order the speech balloons in that panel are meant to be read? Who is speaking first?

That's not a matter of changing tastes or fashions; it's just a sloppy and confusing layout!

Gord Green wrote:
And yet you look at the destruction of the White House in INDEPENDENCE DAY and see how easily it could be realized with under cranking the film and no more extensive modeling effort.

I assume you mean overcranking. Shooting at faster-than-normal speed slows the action when the film is projected, making miniature effects look more believable. Undercranking (shooting at slower-than-normal speed) speeds up the action for dramatic or comic effect.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
It took Ray four days in order to shoot the destruction of the Supreme Court building. He had to laboriously animate each brick or stone that fell, on separate wires.

The wires were held by a specially constructed rig called an aerial brace which was fixed above the animation table. The wires hold the object being animated firmly in place.

Go to the 3:15 mark in the video below and you'll see exactly what Mike is describing! Cool

_ Earth vs the Flying Saucers - Washington Attack

The scene below is my favorite of all the shots during the Washington attack. The full screen version I made a screen shot of shows just how much work Ray put into making the model.

The cropped "widescreen" version doesn't do Ray's model of the Supreme Court building justice (no pun intended).

The full frame version looks expansive, like an IMAX image. Very Happy

The so-called widescreen version looks claustrophobic. It cuts off part of the impressive steps at the bottom and some of the Capitol Dome spire at the top! Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting the message above, I found a nice interview with Ray Harryhausen which I decided to share.

___ Ray Harryhuasen - Earth vs. the Flying Saucers

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought before a stumble off to bed.

I've always been intrigued by the sparse clues we get concerning these alien invaders. Consider this.

~ All we see are aliens in suits that apparently serve as "life support" for beings who (according to Hugh Marlow) are "humanoid, and ancient". But they dissolve when the helmets are removed.

My God, are these decrepit beings the actual "soldiers" of this invading army! Shocked

Furthermore, the alien voice (done by Paul Frees) states that "we are the remnants of a disintegrated solar system".

Does this mean that these aging aliens are all that's left? No young aliens, no women, and no children? Sad

If so, that means these alien invaders are just trying to take over the Earth so they can be cared for by humans during the last few years of their waning lives — with no hope of their species surviving after they're gone!

Well, damn! That's plum pitiful, folks. Sad

If I was writing a sequel for this movie, I'd find a way to help these poor old guys to revive their lost race and clone a new generation who could unite with the human race and venture out among the stars!

What do you guys think? Confused

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your sequel has potential, Bud. I don't believe anyone has ever done a plot that involves aliens that are technologically far ahead of us coming here for our help.

Interesting that this film never names either the alien race nor the name of their home world. Wonder just how many SF films involving aliens have done the same thing?

Off the top of my head: Klaatu doesn't name his race or any of the planets he represents.

We don't know what the Thing From Another World calls his species or planet of origin.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting clue to the origin of these aliens could lay in the fact that "time" passes differently for them than it does for us. This alteration in the passage of time could lead us to suspect they are not only from a distant planet, but also from a different "universe" or even dimension.

Their time stream ran much faster in relation to ours indicating that minutes to us would be years to them! They may have been young adolescents when they arrived on our world and swiftly aged to old, old age!

Maybe it wasn't bacteria (like in War of the Worlds) but the ravages of TIME that really caused their downfall!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From author Bill Warren.

Ray Harryhausen's flying saucers are the best ever done, even edging out Klaatu's ship from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Harryhausen's saucers are spookily alive, moving gracefully and swiftly; they're highly maneuverable, convincingly fast and deadly.

Their design is somewhat similar to Klaatu's ship, but enough differences were added to make them distinctive.

But in Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, the only real enemy are the flying saucers themselves, despite some scenes involving the aliens. To fiddle around with the saucerman's armor is a waste of time and footage. But couldn't the running time have been extended by making the characters more interesting, rather than the business of the saucerman's armor, eavesdropping "foo lights" and so forth?

Harryhausen doesn't seem to think so.

He told an interviewer, "We try to put characterization in a film as long as it doesn't stop the story....But character takes time to develop. And when you're trying to tell a tale such as we do in the saucer picture, you either spend the time trying to develop characterization, or you spend the time developing the destruction, which is what these pictures are all about."

George Worthing Yates and Bernard Gordon are both writers of little talent, judging from the visible evidence.

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers is awkwardly constructed.

The saucermen do claim that they do not want merely to take over. "To do that would cause worldwide panic. Despite our power the few of us would be busy indefinitely trying to suppress a largely hostile population."

It doesn't occur to either the saucermen or leaders of Earth that a peaceful settlement is possible.

The sloppy construction confines all the action to the first and last reels. The saucers turn up briefly in the middle, but don't do very much. It's a long wait until something really interesting happens again.

The film is narrated by Paul Frees in his most doom-laden voice. Invariably, the narration tells us things we already know, or don't need to know or, most frequently, things that we see taking place.

But despite the portentous narration, the plot lurches and dead ends, the inadequate acting, and all the other infelicities of Earth vs, the Flying Saucers, it is still basically a good low-budget invaders-from-outer-space movie.

The film ends with a highly satisfying orgy of destruction.

Harryhausen's saucers are somehow better characterized than some of his "living" animals. They are purposeful. blankly evil and lively.

Sidebar: Warren's critique of the film is a fair one. Except for Ray's marvelous stop~motion animation sequences there's little else to hold the interest of the audience. Films such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Thing From Another World, Forbidden Planet, and War of the Worlds all manage to keep us absorbed from beginning to end.
That just isn't true of EvtFS anymore than it was true of It Came From Beneath the Sea where we clamor to get past the wooden characterizations and the uninteresting scientific exposition and on to Ray's splendid work.

Unlike Warren, I did find the scene with the aliens small eavesdropping device spying on the scientists and military rather intriguing.

It gave an indication of just how sophisticated the technology possessed by the aliens truly was.

It was also a remarkable plot device involving a drone. Drones are a big thing today in the 21st century, but few ever heard of such a contraption back in 1956. The writers were well ahead of their time.

This was a movie that could have been as classic as The Day the Earth Stood Still and others from that era if the writing had been top notch. Instead, the film lowered the bar by simply being action oriented and with its fantastic special effects. Other than that, it offers nothing to appeal to SF fans seeking intelligence, depth, and surprises.

The writers do create a different take on the invading alien theme whereas the aliens comprehend that conquering the Earth is not in anyone's best interest. The aliens realize that while their technological prowess far exceeds the nations of Earth, a war will make the planet potentially unlivable for both humans and aliens.

It was an original and clever concept. However, then the writers just seem to abandon it entirely so as to get to the battle scenes. It's a shame they could not have expanded on the idea but somehow give us those battle scenes.
That could have given the film a dimension it simply doesn't have.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
An interesting clue to the origin of these aliens could lay in the fact that "time" passes differently for them than it does for us.

Fascinating idea, Gord. Very Happy

This would "sort of" explain some of the wonky stuff aboard the saucer, when the alien voice said that Marlow's watch hadn't actually stopped working, nor has his pulse ceased to beat, because "we operate in a very different time reference. You might say that all this is happening between the ticks of your watch and beats of your pulse."

Ummm . . . what? Confused

None of that makes sense in terms of time dilation caused by near-light-speed velocity, so I've always assumed it was just mumbo jumbo by the screenwriter. Rolling Eyes

But your theory suggests something more complex. Nice job, Gordo! Cool

Anyway, here's a clip that includes scene at the 9:30 ma
rk.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 17 trivia items for this movie, several of which I already posted above. However, here’s a few of the ones I didn't post which are also interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The scene of a "destroyer" blowing up is actually stock footage of the sinking of HMS Barham, which occurred on 25 November 1941.

To not upset the British public, the Royal Navy decided to withhold an announcement until later. However, in late November 1941 a Scottish medium, Helen Duncan, who had heard of the sinking through a friend, disclosed the sinking during a seance.

She was eventually tried under the British Witchcraft Act, the last person before it was repealed.

Note from me: Well, ummm . . . I know what to make of this. A woman was tried for revealing government secrets she learned in a seance.

Okay, this is blatant bullshit . . . Rolling Eyes

~ The supposed satellite launches are actually stock footage of Viking rockets, high-altitude probes that were the predecessors of the Vanguard, intended to be the first satellite launcher.

The later shots of rockets crashing at takeoff are really German V-2s, since none of the first 12 Vikings ever failed. Ironically, the 13th Viking, now called Vanguard, blew up on the launch pad, just like in the movie.

Note from me: The shots of the V-2 tipping over and exploding are dramatic, despite being stock footage.

~ Columbia's publicity department created publicity stills using the cut-and-paste technique. The resulting stills of the flying saucers were vastly inferior to the special effects in the film itself. In fact, one of the more infamous stills shows Hugh Marlowe and Joan Taylor standing on top of the water in the middle of the Potomac River.

Note from me: Well . . . yes the cut-and-paste stills suck. But there isn't a still of Hugh and Joan standing on the water of the Potomac river. This items is completely bogus! Rolling Eyes

~ Fans of Disneyland might recognize the voice of the narrator (and of the alien) as actor Paul Frees, who provides the voice of the ghostly host for The Haunted Mansion ride. Frees also was voice for many cartoon characters for Disney, as well as for The Bullwinkle Show (1959)

Note from me: This items is true. I think I submitted ti myself. Very Happy

~ This was the last movie in which Ray Harryhausen used stop-motion to create collapsing buildings. He said it was too much work.

Note from me: Okay, so it doesn't look "real". But it doesn't look like a miniature falling apart either. I love it!

~ One of the buildings struck by crashing flying saucers is Union Station, Washington's main train station. This may have been inspired by a 1953 accident when a runaway passenger train smashed into the station concourse.

Note from me: I don't know it this is true, but the shots of the saucer with the statue in the foreground and the saucer in the background are wonderful!

It juxtapositions the human and alien cultures perfectly! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: