ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WarGames (1983)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder of wonders, a fine copy this movie is available from YouTube Movies! It looks to good that I just used my DISH remote to call it up on TV, pour a beer, and watched it.

You can't download this one (and probably not any video available from YouTube Movies). So, I'm glad I don't have to watch it on my laptop. That way I can enjoy the movie while typing this post on All Sci-Fi!

What a fine way to spend a warm Spring afternoon on a Friday in America! Cool

_____________________ Wargames (1983)

Story Idea #1: The opening scene of two Air Force men in the launch control room of a missile adjacent to a silo gave me several ideas for stories based on this.

As you may remember, that opening scene demonstrated that these men frequently froze up during drills which they didn't know were just simulations, because they didn't want to be responsible for millions of deaths if the event is rea!

The two men in the bunker could launch the missile if they both turned their launch keys at the same moment, once the missile had been activated by the SAC systems.

But . . . what if skilled hackers found a way to activate one or more missiles, and then two Air Force men who were co-conspirators could threaten to launch their missile if a billion dollars wasn't deposited to their Swiss numbered account!

Story Idea #2: A group of conspirators plot to destroy America (a disturbingly relevant idea in view of events in January) plot to hack into the system, reprogram the targets of several missiles, and then have their co-conspirators launch them at American cities on the same day!

The horrible brilliance of this plot is that, unlike an attack by Russia, we wouldn't respond by launching an attack against them, because we'd know that the missiles were all ours! Shocked

Being a "happy ending" kinda guy, the climax of this story would be to have the good guys figure out how to reprogram the missiles shortly after their launch so they all target Moscow!

Then the president would call the Kremlin and inform Putin that he knows what Russia did — and that Putin has 20 minutes to tell the world that Russia committed an act of war against the U.S. He must surrender unconditionally to the U.S. of be totally anniliated.

If he doesn't do this, the missiles all hit Moscow and turn Russia into a barren radioactive wasteland. Sad

Okay, guys, I know what your thinking. This concept is ridiculous and impossible. But let's consider our current reality.

WarGames was made in 1983 — almost 40 years ago — but it convinced the Pentagon that our defense system was indeed vulnerable. Shocked

And now I'm sitting here in my living room, with a wireless keyboard in my lap and a wireless mouse next to me, posting a message on my laptop — which will display on the website I created in 2007, while I'm watching a movie on my HD TV, connected to YouTube!

God, I love living in the future!
Cool
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a very handsomely outfitted living room it is, Bruce.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike!

I designed and built the big entertainment center myself back in the early 1980s, specifically for the stereo equipment I brought back from Germany while I was in the Air Force.

The only piece of the old equipment left in the picture is the big reel-to-reel recorder — which still works!

All the rest are newer items, either acquired at yards sales in the 1990s or from Best Buys (etc). The picture is several years old, and the mantel over the fireplace looks more like this now.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vimeo has a fine 1.49 GB version of this fine movie, and I used the Vemeo down loader to get it. (<— link) Very Happy

I'll be uploading it to WeTransfer soon so that any member who wants to join All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat (<— link) can add it to their video library and watch it with us.

Just FYI, folks. Very Happy

_____________________ War Games (1983)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: