ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corvette Summer (1978)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Corvette Summer (1978) Reply with quote

If you love Star Wars (the original) and you love American Graffiti (the movie that made George Lucas famous), then you'll enjoy this "missing link" in the evolution between Lucas' delightful tribute to the Golden Age of the early 1960s and his legendary "Space Fantasy" that dazzled our entire planet! Cool

Mark Hamill starred in this movie while his damaged face was still healing after the motorcycle accident which occurred after Star Wars was released. I saw at it a drive-in theater in 1978, and I was shocked at how different poor Mark's face looked! Shocked

But his acting was superb, and I enjoyed this yarn about a high school kid who loved all things automotive, and who aspired to create the ultimate Corvette when his shop class acquired a wrecked 'Vette from a junk yard so they could turned it into a true work of art.

This magnificent creation would have overwhelmed the teenagers in American Graffiti if it went rumbling down the street among the hot cars which cruised the strip in the small California town depicted in George Lucas' wonderful movie.

This jumble mess of a trailer shows that Hollywood had no idea what they had with that movie.

______________ American Graffiti Official Trailer

And this disappointing trailer for Corvette Summer is even worse!

_____ Corvette Summer Original Theatrical Trailer

In both cases, these entertaining movies presented dream-like versions of the American "muscle cars"! Cool

I lived in the twilight of that era after I was discharged from the Air Force in 1971 and began my life as a carefree bachelor who drove around in a car like this —

[img][/img]

— while dating girls who were also just a few years out of high school and on their own for the first time in their lives. Very Happy

When American Graffiti was release in 1973, I was struggling through the terrible year of my first divorce from a year-long marriage to a lovely young girl I absolutely adored.

That movie put me back in touch with my "romantic soul", and helped me move on with life.

When I saw Corvette Summer for first time at a drive-in with my 2nd wife in 1978 (after she and I had flown to New York to see Star Wars before it was finally released in Atlanta in 1977), I was appalled by the way Mark Hamil's face had changed.

But I honestly think that the change in Hamill's appearance — and the emotional trauma he experienced — caused Mr. Hamill to become a much better actor.
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great movies, and superb sound track.

Question, what was "and the emotional trauma he experienced" maybe I missed it? Was that in his personal life or movie life?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: