ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy Reply with quote

Leonard Nimoy, 83. He lived long & prospered.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why, but I didn't see this one coming. This news will sadden the world.

I don't know what else to say . . . so I'll say it with pictures.

__

__

__

__

Goodbye, Leonard. People will still know you in 100 years.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Remembering Leonard Nimoy: Spock???s Top ???Star Trek??? Mom Reply with quote

Remembering Leonard Nimoy: Spock???s Top ???Star Trek??? Moments
Variety By Cynthia Littleton

From the beginning, Mr. Spock was the conscience of ???Star Trek,??? and Leonard Nimoy was the actor who transcended all of the sci-fi trappings to deliver on the challenge of portraying a character who claimed to have no emotions.

Nimoy brought to Spock the depth and complexity that made viewers immediately intrigued with the stern-faced Vulcan, the first officer and right hand to William Shatner???s larger-than-life Captain Kirk. ???Star Trek??? devotees cheered when Spock???s beloved logic would save the day, and they wept when he died (sort of) in ???Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.???

But it all began with Nimoy???s work in 79 episodes of the original series that aired on NBC from 1966-69. Here are some of the highlights of Mr. Spock???s ???Star Trek??? career in the original series and beyond.

Amok Time
The legend of Spock and the bond between Spock and Kirk doesn???t get any deeper than this season two episode that offered copious back story for Spock. It introduces the concept of mating ritual ???pon farr??? ??? aka the Vulcan version of the seven-year itch ??? and features a hell of a fight scene between Spock and Kirk. It also treats fans to a glimpse of Spock lowering his logic guard when he realizes that Kirk is not dead.

City on the Edge of Forever
Spock shows great empathy when Kirk falls in love (with Joan Collins) after they wind up traveling back in time to 1930s America. And of course Spock???s electrical wizardry saves the day and helps them escape the time warp.

The Menagerie Parts 1 and 2
Spock faces a court martial in his elaborate dedication to helping his former Enterprise leader, Capt. Pike (aka the star of the first ???Trek??? pilot). It???s a season one two-parter that helped establish the show???s reputation for intense drama and plot twists.

The Devil in the Dark
Spock flexes his paranormal muscles by mind-melding with the Horta. His Method acting training is put to good use as he channels the emotions of the oddly-shaped animal.

This Side of Paradise
Spock lets his hair down and falls for guest star Jill Ireland after the Enterprise visits a planet where strange plant spores make him suddenly blissfully content.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Nimoy had many memorable moments in the first six ???Star Trek??? movies ??? none more so than his death at the conclusion of the well-reviewed ???Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,??? highlighted by Ricardo Montalban???s understated performance as the vengeful Khan. But Nimoy???s focus in the death scene makes it a true tear-jerker. Using his Vulcan logic, Spock sacrifices himself without hesitation for the crew and dies of radiation poisoning.

Two years, in ???Star Trek III: The Search for Spock,??? the character is successfully resurrected at the end of the movie on the planet Vulcan. It was Nimoy???s feature directorial debut.

BDT:
at the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan ("He's really not dead. As long as we remember him.")

larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard Nimoy will always be Mr. Spock to me. And Mr. Spock was a great inspirational character - with his adherence to logic. He was almost as good as having a humanoid robot.

RIP Mr. Nimoy, and thank you for Vulcan Spock.
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of may favorite funny pictures.

What caption would you give it?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout this one.

"Boy, I'm sure glad this pilot failed!

I might have ended up playing this wacky role for years!"

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Canada: 'Spocking' $5 notes not illegal, but illogical Reply with quote

Canada: 'Spocking' $5 notes not illegal, but illogical
USA TODAY

Canada's central bank is urging citizens to stop defacing their $5 notes in a tribute to deceased actor Leonard Nimoy.

In a trend dubbed "Spocking," Canadians have taken to drawing pointy ears and tiled brows on top of Canada's seventh prime minister, Sir. Wilfrid Laurier, to make him look like Mr. Spock, the half-Vulcan, half-human Star Trek character made famous by Nimoy.

The "Spocking" trend has lead to Twitter hashtags #Spocking and #Spockingfives along with pictures of people's various designs......

Canada's central bank is urging citizens to stop defacing their $5 notes in a tribute to deceased actor Leonard Nimoy.

In a trend dubbed "Spocking," Canadians have taken to drawing pointy ears and tiled brows on top of Canada's seventh prime minister, Sir. Wilfrid Laurier, to make him look like Mr. Spock, the half-Vulcan, half-human Star Trek character made famous by Nimoy.

LINK:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/04/spocking-fives-leonard-nimoy-canada/24366807/

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised that you left out "Journey To Babel", Bulldog.

That's one of my favorite Spock episodes. It shows the complex, strained relationship with his parents. There is mystery, murder, & an unknown vessel attacking the big E, & a life threatening physical condition for Mr. Spock's pop.

It is one fascinating show. Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Nimoy passed away last week, Bulldogtrekker and I started watching TOS episodes "together" -- even though we live in different states.

We've been doing this years: synchronizing the start of our DVDs by chatting on Facebook during the movie/TV show we're sharing.

We watched Journey to Babel a few days ago, definitely one of our favorite episodes. BDT's omission of that one was an oversight he'll be grateful you brought to his attention.

It is, without question, one of the quintessential Spock episodes -- for all the reason you explained so well. Very Happy
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the Variety story I posted in tribute to Leonard Nimoy did not mention Journey to Babel, Bud and I watched Babel the other day and it is one of my favorite episodes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: