ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
After all, the only way to have the centrifuge spin and not cause the rest of the ship to spin in the opposite direction would be to have counterweights within the structure of the spherical section which did spin in the opposite direction, and thus allow the rest of the ship remain stable.

Indeed! Many of the diagrams and blueprints for DISCOVERY show a FLYWHEEL spinning to conserve the angular momentum of the ship. Notice that on the LEONOV the spinning modules were exterior of the core of the craft. Of course, both of these are "constructions of the mind" so trying to figure out exactly "how" these are constructed don't have to be completely explained!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT MOVIES FROM THE 1980s!

The 1980s turned out to be a sort of 2nd Golden Age of Science Fiction. This movie is an example. Here's why.

By the year 1984 the number of total sci-fi releases was up to 16 (at least according our list here on All Sci-Fi), with a bumper crop of "fun" science fiction movies.

The "fun" ones outnumber the more serious ones, with action/adventure movies like these.

~ 2010: The Year We Made Contact

~ The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai

~ Dreamscape

~ The Last Starfighter

~ Night of the Comet

~ Runaway

~ Star Trek: The Search for Spock

~ Starman

What movies do you remember from 1984, and which ones were your favorites? Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1984 I enjoyed the following movies (although not all are SF in nature): Conan the Destroyer, Dreamscape, Dune, Firestarter, Gremlins, Indiana Jones & the Temple of doom, The Karate Kid, The Natural, Night of the Comet, The Philadelphia Experiment, Places in the Heart, Red Dawn, Repo Man, Romancing the Stone, Sixteen Candles, A Soldier's Story, Splash, Streets of Fire, Tank, The Terminator, The Last Starfighter, 2010: The Year We Make Contact and Top Secret!

As a Star Trek fan I liked The Search for Spock but didn't love it.
Always disliked that concept they developed and first shown in ST:The Wrath of Kahn that a Vulcan can magically place their essence into another person's brain and later retrieve it. Too far out for even ST, at least for me.
That was like some dopey idea that one of the Irwin Allen SF shows would have.
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched this again, it's probably been 20 years since I watched it.

As said, as a standalone hard science fiction film it's very well done, and I enjoyed it!

As a sequel to 2001, it kind of fails. 2001 is perfection, and one doesn't try to follow perfection. What a set Hyams must have to presume to improve upon a Kubrick film.

But he almost pulls it off. Almost.

Too much dialog, too much humanity, too little HAL.

A VERY nice touch, did anyone recognize the US President and Soviet Premier on the cover of the TIME magazine the nurse was reading?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand the folks who were disappointing with 2001, and I agree with you that thr reason is that Kubrick made a perfect movie of a certain type for a certain culture, and the sequel was a very good movie of a different type for a significantly different culture.

Even though Kurick's movie was just right for the period and culture in which it was made, movies audiences changed between 1968 and 1984. One reason for this was that Star Wars gave the new ideas about how science fiction movies could be made.

2010 had to wrestle with being the direct decedent of 2001 — but the cousin of both A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. So, the public's taste in science fiction had changed significantly.

2010 tried to satisfy everybody . . . and ended up satisfy practically nobody. Sad

PS: Heck, I give up. Who's on the cover of that magazine! Confused

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Arthur C and Stanly K of course!
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Indeed Gord!

Star Wars did change science fiction films for sure and 1984 was VERY different from 1968, but for me 2001 ASO exists independent of time. Perfection is perfection. Be it 1948, 1968, or 1988.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach7 wrote:
. . . for me 2001 ASO exists independent of time. Perfection is perfection. Be it 1948, 1968, or 1988.

Yes, of course. And the key words there are ' . . . for ME".

You were fortunate enough to be a member of the target audience for which the movie was designed. But younger people who saw it decades later viewed it with different eyes and different mind sets.

When it comes to movies, "perfection" isn't a constant, it shifts and evolves for each decade and each new audience who sees them.

Mark, I have the same unshakable devotion for The Space Children (1958) because Jack Arnold carefully crafted it for people llke me — who happened to an intelligent, imaginative ten-year-old who dreamed of the stars and yearned to be chosen by a strange ectoplasmic alien that needed seven bright children to help it save mankind from his own dangerous tendencies.

I loved that movie in 1958 . . . and I didn't get to see it again until 1986! But it was even better the second time than when I saw at age 10, because I was even more intelligent and imaginative, thus allowing me to understand its virtues even better.

My point, Mark, is that you and I saw the perfection of our beloved movies at just the right time in our lives to understand what made them perfect. Those movies haven't changed — and neither have we in terms of our ability to clearly understand what makes them perfect.

But anyone who saw 2001 or The Space Children and wasn't fortunate enough to understand why they are perfect will never agree with our lofty regard for them.

I suppose there are people out there who saw 2010; The Year We Make Contact and thought[/b]it]/i][/b] was perfect . . . but who thinks [i]2001 is just too damn slow paced and annoyingly cerebral.

As I said above, when it comes to movies, "perfection" isn't a constant. And this puzzles people like you and me, because we can't understand why other folks don't see what seems obvious to us. Sad

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are of course correct.

But sometimes movies surpass time and generations.

Casablanca

Bladerunner

Dr Stranglove

North by Northwest

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Annie Hall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: