ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantastic Voyage (1966)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYK: Actress Nina Wayne (September 18, 1943) was reportedly cast in the Cora Peterson role before it went to Raquel Welsh?

Nina was the younger sister of Carol Wayne and both skated in the Ice Capades as teenagers.

Carol is best remembered for doing skits with Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show.

Both women were beautiful but usually were relegated to playing ditsy blondes types of roles.

Nina was also in the genre TV-movie "The Night Strangler" which was a sequel to "The Night Stalker" made-for-TV movie.
The sequel, while not quite as good as "The Night Stalker" was a decent follow up to the original TV-movie.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
DYK: Actress Nina Wayne (September 18, 1943) was reportedly cast in the Cora Peterson role before it went to Raquel Welch.

Nina was the younger sister of Carol Wayne and both skated in the Ice Capades as teenagers.

Carol is best remembered for doing skits with Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show.

Both women were beautiful, but usually were relegated to playing ditsy blondes types of roles.

Frankly I've never been impressed with Rachel Welch's acting . . . or her overrated beauty either! Shocked

Perhaps Nina Wayne would have been better in Fantastic Voyage, but I doubt she could have been worse! Obviously this movie didn't need a sex symbol in the role — it needed a talented actress who could enhance the drama which the screenplay included!

With a cast packed with seasoned veterans, I can't help wondering why they gave this import part to someone whose only claim to fame was that she looked good in a cavemen bikini!

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Frankly I've never been impressed with Rachel Welch's acting . . . or her overrated beauty either! Shocked

Overrated? In her prime, Raquel was one of the most gorgeous women in the world. And that's coming from someone who prefers blondes!

(Although -- wait for it -- I'm no gentleman!)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we each have our subjective preference, and as I said, "Frankly I've never been impressed." Very Happy

If you prefer blonds, I'm sure we agree that the lady below is absolutely breathtaking — and she even starred in the movie whose title you made a clever reference to! Very Happy

]

I've always had a high regard for this young lady, too. She's positively stellar! (Only without the R. Laughing

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bruce, beauty, like humor, can be subjective. I also found Raquel to be a stunning beauty but with modest acting talent.

Monroe co-starred with Jean Peters in the classic film noir Niagara. Have to say that it was the gorgeous Jean that captivated me and not Monroe.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marilyn was hardly a classic beauty, but she had sex appeal in spades, as they say. Her screen image and persona were so different from who she was in real life that it's said she could walk down a crowded street in plain clothes and no makeup and go totally unrecognized.

As for Stella Stevens -- meh. Never did it for me.

Now this blonde Stevens, on the other hand . . .

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find both Stella & Inger Stevens to be beautiful women.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Well Bruce, beauty, like humor, can be subjective. I also found Raquel to be a stunning beauty but with modest acting talent.

Monroe co-starred with Jean Peters in the classic film noir Niagara. Have to say that it was the gorgeous Jean that captivated me and not Monroe.

Yes indeed, the two screen shots above are from Niagara — and anybody who thinks that "Marilyn was hardly a classic beauty" is badly in need of a trip to the eye doctor! Shocked

But all kidding aside, we've proven conclusively that Miss Margaret Wolfe Hungerford was right when she made the famous quote below.

And based on her photo, I'm sure she was grateful that her statement was true. Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I'm pretty sure Raquel wouldn't have been very convincing as the sweet, innocent Mary Ann.

Dawn Wells, on the other hand, nailed the roll. Cool

________________ [
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Voyage producer, Saul David, also produced the spy-spoof movies Our Man Flint & In Like Flint starring James Coburn as Derek Flint, the spy who can do anything.

David originally intended to do FV as a third Flint movie starring Coburn. Praise be, he changed his mind and shot FV as a straight & serious SF film. Had he gone ahead and done FV as another Flint film, FV would not have become the marvelous classic movie that it is to this day. I'm very grateful that Saul saw the light.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's amazing! I agree that the idea was terrible. Sad

The Wikipedia article for Fantastic Voyage also includes this item, right below the info you provided.

Years later comic actor Mike Myers proposed making an installment of his own Austin Powers spy spoof movies called Shagtastic Voyage, in which Powers would be injected into the body of Dr. Evil.

Now that sounds EXACTLY like something an Austin Powers movie would do, especially since Austin's states that In Like Flint is his favorite movie! Laughing

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ronin website: Concept reel and artwork from James Cameron's unused Fantastic Voyage movie project.
In addition to the artwork, there is a four and a half minute video of designs for this FV film.

There is also this outline for the plot of the film.

Scaling: Process of nano-sizing bio-tech hardware mechanics.

All illness has been eradicated through a vaccine of networked Nano-Implants.

Hacking implant network is now our body's primary threat.

Terrorists have killed a pilot by hacking into his implants with a :smart virus." The jet crashes into the icy Potomac in Washington, D.C.

Martial law is declared.

New Langley N.S.A. Implant Tracking Center. Patient zero will have the Proteus ship and crew implanted into him. One of the dangers they'll face are from mechanical drones.

The art and video are marvelous to view. There's a brand new design for the Proteus submarine, it is also larger. I was impressed with it. The wetsuits looked cool too, and the hospital surgical room with the contraption patient zero was placed on was awesome looking.

There aren't any details about the plot beyond what I listed here. So exactly who patient zero was and what the mission of the Proteus was going to be remain unknown. But they certainly have some marvelous ideas for this new FV. Whether it will continue to be another unrealized project for FV, or get off the ground one day, who can say?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, how about some links to the site you named and few images from it. You've teased our interests, but you haven't given us the goodies! Shocked

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
. . . The art and video are marvelous to view. There's a brand new design for the Proteus submarine, it is also larger. I was impressed with it.

Larger and more practical, maybe, but definitely not as pretty.

Here's the link to the article (I still haven't gotten the hang of embedding hyperlinks in text).

https://theronin.org/2020/07/07/check-out-concept-art-from-james-camerons-unmade-fantastic-voyage-remake-did-they-want-to-cast-hugh-jackman/

Last edited by scotpens on Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryann test photo:

I wonder if Ms. Welch was under contract to Fox at the time. That could explain her choice.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: