ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Island of Lost Souls (1932)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Should I continue??????

Absolutely! Stellar thinking, Gord!

Even though I lean towards the notion that the New Men are "good guys" (I'm the optimistic type), I can't deny that after I described them as being so cultured and intelligent, you're version sounds very plausible (based soundly on typical human nature), not to mention being more dramatic. Very Happy

And frankly the way you described them —

" . . . a new, improved version of Man . . . and all those below them . . . are "lesser creatures" fit only to further the glory of the New Men!"

— certainly has plenty of precedents in history.

It would be easy to explain their egotistical attitude as something which Moreau included in his genetic enhancements. It's exactly the attitude he had about himself, so naturally he wanted his creations to be that way, too!

I've got some ideas about how you take on the story might proceed from the what you've suggested, but I'll wait until you've presented more of your ideas before I share any of my own, so that I won't interfere with your creative process. Very Happy

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Island of Lost Souls Reply with quote

[quote="Phantom"]This is a genuine classic of the bizarre and one of the grimmest science fiction-horror films of the decade. I can only think of Kongo (a remake of Chaney's West of Zanzibar) to equal its slithery atmosphere.

William K. Everson described Laughton's performance as a mad scientist crossed with a demented child with a god complex.
/quote]
That is a PERFECT description of the disturbing way Laughton presented his character! None of the later versions came anywhere near the level of horror that this film did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: