ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 12-12-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 12-12-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

If dinosaurs are your cup ‘a tea, share your thoughts about the movie that combined prehistoric beast with an enjoyable vacation spot!

But if your more of a Star Trek fan, what’s your opinion of the movie that included both Captain Kirk and Captain Picard? (I’m not crazy about it. Can you change my mind? Confused)

And what’s you’re opinion about the time traviel movie that starred Charlie Sheen’s brother. (That one I DO lke! Very Happy)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Steven Spielberg doesn't really like stop motion animation, so Phil Tippet worked out ways to improve stop motion, as well as the process known as "go motion", which you can read all about if you're not familiar with it.

Steven wasn't happy with any of the methods the crack team of experts proposed, but then Dennis Muren of Industrial Light & Magic claimed that "computer-generated imaging" was the best way to create the dinosaurs.
Steven told Dennis to prove it.

Dennis did.

And so, dinosaurs weren't actually resurrected with bits of amber and fragments of DNA and elaborate genetic engineering. The magic behind the miracle was computer chips and binary codes and nerdy little geniuses who make images in their heads turn into images on computer monitors and big movie screens.

When you think about it, that's just as amazing as cloning dinosaurs from the bodily fluids which prehistoric mosquitoes had for lunch 65 million years ago.

It's also more useful.

But I wouldn't mind having the dinosaurs, too . . .

Star Trek Generations (1994)

The TNG movies are all good . . . except this one.

Seems to me they did practically everything wrong. There were little things I didn't care for, like the way the Enterprise bridge was lit. It was too dark.

Why did they do that? Because this was a big budget movie, not a dinky little TV series? Heck, I don't really know.

There were big things, like the main story concept: this snakey energy phenomenon wanders through the cosmos and puts people into a timeless, quasi-euphoric state . . . forever.

Is this a good idea for a sci-fi movie? Really?

I don't think so.

They wanted to have Captain James T. Kirk symbolically hand off the franchise to Captain Jean-Luc Picard — so they ran poor Shatner around on some rocky terrain and made him fire a phaser at Malcom McDowell until a metal catwalk fell on him.

That was certainly no way for Big Jim to check out. It lacked dignity, class, and scope. In short, it was rinky dink.

They wanted to show off the beloved Galaxy class Enterprise on the big screen . . . and then subject the poor thing to the longest crash scene in cinematic history. I thought that starship was never going to stop plowing through the landscape!

After this sad start, the TNG movies did really well. First Contact was a raging battle with the nasty old Borg. Insurrection was an intelligent drama about moral choices and human rights. Even Nemesis had some good ideas and some interesting characters.

But Star Trek Generations just didn't know quite where it was going or how to get there.

Freejack (1994)

This one caught me completely by surprise. The plot is very ambitious and reasonably well done. Despite poor reviews and bad box office returns, it's well worth seeing.

The story includes a time travel element, but the most interesting aspect of the story is the concept that science not only proves the existence of souls, it finds a way to transfer a person's soul from one body to another, effectively extending the persons life by literally replacing an old, sick body with a new, healthy one.

Emilio Estevez is snatched from a fiery race car crash in the present by an agency in the future which supplies healthy bodies from the past for rich people who don't want to die, because they know they can't take it with 'em!

Emilio spoils the plans the agency has for his body by escaping from the operating room where his body is being prepped for the procedure to make it ready for a new soul.

The film is action packed, with Emilio and Rene Russo running from the bad guys, and the climax has some nice surprises and interesting twists.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: