ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logan's Run (1978) - Let's Create a Sequel!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Logan's Run (1978) - Let's Create a Sequel! Reply with quote

Let's Create a Sequel!

~ A Question for the Members: What would the citizens of the domed city do after they discover that (a) the computer would no long run their marvelous automated environment, and (b) they were going to have face the unpleasant rigors of aging?

~ Here's what I came up with.: Let's assume that the computer routinely trained enough people to maintain the automated systems and the A.I. itself to keep the whole thing running during the years of its previous existence.

If this is true, then after the Michael York crashed the system, these individuals would get to work repairing things. But now that they know the truth, they would insure that none of the old limits on lifespans were part of their culture.

However, the world outside the domes is never addressed in the movie. Logan and Jessica proved that the environment outside was perfectly habitable. We're never told why the sealed domed cities were necessary — which, frankly, really sucks in my opinion as a published science fiction author. Rolling Eyes

By the way, I read the summary of the plot of the novel on which the movie is based, and it's considerable more optimistic. For example, Francis 7 turns out to be a 42-year-old man whose life clock is faulty, and he maintains a youthful appearance with plastic surgery so he can masquerade as a Sandman while actually helping runners reach "Sanctuary".

And get this. folks. Sanctuary turns out to be Argos, a previously abandoned space colony near Mars! Shocked

Well, screw all that. Here's my ideas, which are a lot better. Very Happy

A global pandemic ravaged the world and drove the uninfected survivors into the domed cities to protect them from the rest of the morons in the population who refused to wear masks or get the vaccine.

Sound familiar? Obviously truth really is stranger than fiction.

But the pandemic virus has finally killed off all the brainless morons (wishful thinking on my part . . . ) and now the domed city dwellers can venture out and repopulate the Earth.

However, there will obviously be enclaves of survivors who've established rustic communities after the fall of civilization. The more technologically advanced "City People" will have quite a lot to offer these folks . . . if the City People are willing to overcome their previous pampered lifestyle and join forces with these less-advanced communities.

Guys, despite the recent drought of posts on All Sci-Fi, I know I still have a few intelligent members who are willing and able to contribute to this intellectual discussion.

And I know they also share my wish that we had a more folks like us . . . Sad

But having said all that, I'm looking forward to the replies of the few smart folks we still have. Confused

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the original book, I like the movie version better.

Not that the book is bad, it isn't. It's very good.
But the movie's thinned down plot works well.

Obviously DC is still intact so we can probably rule out a war or a asteroid strike.

I like your idea about a global pandemic, that works to get the city built. There is a need and the time to build it.

But where did the 21 year age limit come from?
It worked with book and the movie due to the '60s-'70s
emphasis on the generation gap.

I suppose that the City is a closed system so the population needs to be controlled, but 21? it's just too young. It's basically 4-6 years then ZAP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: