ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 12-28-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 12-28-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

I watched the 2006 movied called Deja Vu and got the strangest feeling that I’d seen it before. Weird, eh? Confused

I remember watching Push (2009) and thinking is was pushing my brain to the limit to keep up with the plot.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) could have been called “Logan: The Early Years”, and it was pretty good.

Deja Vu (2006)

A very different kind of time travel story, in which the period of time the machine can visit is limited to just four days.

Sound useless? Actually, when it comes to terrorism, that can make a big difference.

Denzel Washington is an agent of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives who investigates the terrorist bombing of a ferry boat in New Orleans, with the help of a new device the government is fiddling with — a time machine.

The plot is complicated, but one thing the story does exactly right is deal with those pesky alterations in the timeline caused by changes in the past — a fine example from the classic "if you fix this, you'll screw up that" school of temporal excursions.

Push (2009)

Boy, it's gettin' so's ya can't swing a dead cat without hittin' a mutant around here!

However, this movie just refers to people with special powers as . . . well, people with special powers (aka psychic abilities). Apparently there's plenty of 'em, too, and their abilities take on different forms with colorful names, such as:

Pushers
Movers
Watchers
Shifters
Wipers
Shadows
Stitches
Sniffs

— and (the really bad ones) —

Bleeders, which are sometimes called Screechers or Screamers.

(I hope you're taking notes, because there will be a quiz at the end of this post. Confused )

The hero comes up with a brilliant plan to defeat the government agents trying to round up these special people, but he doesn't want the mind-reading government Watchers to find out about the plan. So, he distributes envelopes to his allies which describe parts of the plan . . . then he has a Wiper erase his memory of it.

Clever.

So, the good guys run around doing real important things that are part of the plan, despite the fact that nobody has the "big picture" — even the guy who thought up the plan.

Tricky.

The main bad guy (Carver) is a Pusher (he can put thoughts into your head), and he makes one of the good guys (a girl named Kira) think she's a bad guy.

Shifty.

Nick (a good guy) loves Kira (who thinks she's a bad guy), but she thinks his love for her is just a false memory she "pushed" into his head, even though it's not.

(Am I going too fast? Yes? Too bad, you should listen faster.)

Nick decides to kill himself with an injection of lethal stuff because Kira won't believe they really had a thing going — but after bad-guy Carver and good-guy-who-thinks-she's-a-bad-guy Kira leave him for dead, he wakes up, because he actually just injected himself with soy sauce.

Yes, soy sauce. I swear I'm not making this up.

And if you think my description of the plot is confusing, wait 'till you see the movie. This is just a sample!

Now, I'll hand out the quiz and you folks can show me how well you paid attention. You have ten minutes.

Begin.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

Just where did this hotheaded guy with the switchblade knuckles come from, and where'd he get that reenforced chassis?

Why can't he remember his past? Too many beers? Too many cigars? Too many head blows to a skull that ought to ring like a Chinese gong with all that adamantium wrapped around it?

Here's the movie that answers all these questions — everything you always wanted to know about Wolverine but were afraid to ask.

Hugh Jackman carries the movie without breaking a figurative sweat, proving that casting him in this role meant that somebody was definitely smarter than the average bear. The story definitely wanders away from the comic's established elements, but if you're not a strict fundamentalist Wolveriner, you'll enjoy the movie's imagination and energy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: