ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 12-30-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 12-30-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Recently I binge watched Science Fiction Theatre on YouTube over a period of about two weeks, and I rediscovered just how great this series was. They’re not all fantastic, but even the lesser ones are enjoyable.

I’ve made threads for all the episodes I was able to find, complete with the links to the YouTube videos.

Guys, if you really think of yourself as an avid science fiction fan, you really should watch Science Fiction Theatre.

Y.O.R.D. S1 E4

You gotta hand it to Science Fiction Theatre, they didn't let the fact that they only had 25 minutes stop them from telling a story that could have filled two hours.

This one bears any uncanny resemblance to The Thing from Another World -- both the source novella and the 1951 movie. Like the movie, it takes place at an arctic research station, it involves an alien spacecraft we never get to see, and it stars Kenneth Tobey.

Like the novella, the alien (also never seen) is telepathic. And like Star Trek, DeForest Kelly plays a doctor. How cool is that? Cool

__

But unlike the movie or the novella, the men find themselves involuntarily reading each other's thoughts -- and they don't know why.

A psychic researcher and his attractive assistant are flown to the North Pole to find out why the men have suddenly gained telepathic powers. Tests are conducted and startling conclusions are reached.

__

I won't spoil the conclusion here, but if you really want to know, just sit quietly, concentrate, and read my mind.

Yes . . . yes . . . now you've got it!

Great ending, huh? Very Happy

____________ Science Fiction Theatre - Y.O.R.D.

Who Is This Man? S2 E3

Yet another intelligent story from Science Fiction Theatre, this one involves hypnosis and the strange case of a shy college student who reveals memories of a past life while in a trance — and the murder he was hanged for!

The story is presented with skill and intelligence, and the acting is first rate. The cast includes seasoned veterans like Bruce Bennett and David Alpert. The episode was directed by William Castle, famous for "The Tingler" and "13 Ghosts".

This wonderful series is finally available on high quality DVDs from Shout Factory (available at a cheaper price from Amazon.
Very Happy)

The Long Sleep S2 E2

The science in this episode is fascinating — an experiential medical procedure that involves reducing a patient's temperature to below freezing without causing cellular damage.

But the real strength of this episode is in the powerful drama it presents. Dick Foran plays a research scientist who is forced to use his experimental procedure on a young boy dying from kidney failure.

The boy's father is portrayed by John Doucette, an experienced character actor we've all seen in dozens of movies and TV shows. He's never given a better performance than in this episode, playing the desperate farther of the critically ill boy.

Doucette has kidnapped Foran's family and hidden them in a remote location, refusing to release them until Foran saves his son's life — despite the fact that Foran's wife is diabetic and will die without her daily insulin.

_

This is one of the most highly recommended episode in this remarkable series — which is finally available on high quality DVD's from Shout Factory (available at a cheaper price from Amazon. Very Happy)

UPDATE: Dec 23rd, 2022 - Shout Factory has discontinue this product. Amazon only has three left in stock, as of today.
Sad [/size]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: