ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun - Pow's Concept

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Journey to the Far Side of the Sun - Pow's Concept Reply with quote

I loved the potential of this 1969 movie and the superb special effects work of the fantastic Derek Meddings.

Unfortunately for me, I found the film slow moving at times whenever it got into the marriage issues with the Roy Thinnes character and his wife. The other plot of preparing his fellow astronaut to get ready to travel with the experienced Thinnes was also a bore.

And the payoff that the planet on the other side of the sun was an exact duplicate of Earth with everything else in reverse was a huge letdown. The idea was hardly original. The Twilight Zone did a similar themed episode called "The Parallel" back in 1963.

My idea is that the nations of the Earth with advanced space programs are able to discover that recently something unusual is going on with the far side of the sun due to strange gravimetric impacts on it and other planets in our solar system.

Probes are sent to the opposite side of the sun where they discover another Earth! The world is astonished and decides to send astronauts to find out how this has all happened and what are the potential dangers. A crew of three men & two women are sent.

Once in orbit of this unusual planet their scans are affected by unknown energy sources preventing them from collecting adequate information. They must descend to the planet itself to see what they can learn about this huge mystery.

Once on this new world they find it a planet at odds with itself. Dinosaurs are in a constant battle with the equally savage, sentient, moving plant life in order to see who will rule this strange new world.

In time the astronauts will realize that this new Earth was intended to replace our Earth. This new Earth would have been pollution free and immune to climate change. It was a gift from an unknown alien presence to us in order to keep our race from extermination.

Obviously something has gone drastically awry with this new Earth. The aliens had created it just as our world existed billions of years ago. In order to advance it to the current state our world is at so that we can soon occupy it, the aliens have accelerated their new Earth's geological & lifeforms development. This has massively backfired and now we have the dino-plant war raging all across this globe.

Can the astronauts manage to get back to their mothership and return home? Can they do anything about saving this new Earth as a second home for humans?
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie was also known as "DOPPLEGANGER" in some markets.

The film was distributed by Rank in Europe and Universal in the US and Australia. While Rank kept the original title, Universal, which judged that non-Europeans would be less familiar with the term "doppelganger", renamed the film "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" – the title by which it is now more commonly known..

Last edited by Gord Green on Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, your on fire, Mike! And so is Mach7, who posted his own brilliant concept in a separate thread our members can read by clicking HERE.

They're so different that there's no way they could be merged effectively, so I'm glad they each have their own thread. Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was pretty much the same basic plot as the 50's-60's newspaper strip TWIN EARTHS drawn by Alden Mc Williams.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, Gord, I read several summaries of the plot for Twin Earth,and it's about another "Earth" which has a more scientifically advanced civilization than ours. They send a spy to live on Earth to keep tabs on our technology.

Frankly, that's not much like Mike's wonderful story about dinosaurs "in a constant battle with the equally savage, sentient, moving plant life in order to see who will rule this strange new world."

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't know about that. It seems like a mash up of PLANET OF THE DINOSAURS, DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS and PLANET OF THE APES.

Of course the details are different. I certainly don't mean it as a put down....It's a clever idea , but there's no need for it to be on a twin or counter Earth. That's a detail that plays no necessary part in Mikes' synopsis.

As to the comic strip...It is a integral part the story.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey to the Far Side of the Sun - Pow's Concept Reply with quote

That's an interesting variation on War of the Worlds, Gord. Thanks! Very Happy

Just to clarity the original and imaginative aspects of Pow's concept that impressed me he most, here's a few highlights.

Pow wrote:
Once on this new world they find it a planet at odds with itself. Dinosaurs are in a constant battle with the equally savage, sentient, moving plant life in order to see who will rule this strange new world.

I can't think of a single movie that pits sentient dinosaurs against sentient plants. Brilliant, Mike!

Pow wrote:
In time the astronauts will realize that this new Earth was intended to replace our Earth . . . It was a gift from an unknown alien presence to us in order to keep our race from extermination.

Benevolent aliens who don't just send us an ambassadors . . . they send us a new planet! Mike, you didn't just think outside the box — you thought outside the solar system! Shocked

Pow wrote:
The aliens created it just as our world existed billions of years ago. In order to advance it to the current state our world is at so that we can soon occupy it, the aliens have accelerated their new Earth's geological & lifeforms development.

This has massively backfired and now we have the dino-plant war raging all across this globe.

Ah-ha! The aliens are super intelligent and technologically advanced, but they aren't infallible. This makes the story (and the alien's) much more interesting.. Cool

Pow wrote:
Can the astronauts manage to get back to their mothership and return home? Can they do anything about saving this new Earth as a second home for humans?

The idea that there might be an upbeat conclusion is also a real plus. You've suggested an optimistic conclusion to this complex story. Great job, sir!
It's a completely original "twin Earth" concept.
_
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Oh, I don't know about that. It seems like a mash up of PLANET OF THE DINOSAURS, DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS and PLANET OF THE APES.

Of course the details are different. I certainly don't mean it as a put down....It's a clever idea , but there's no need for it to be on a twin or counter Earth. That's a detail that plays no necessary part in Mikes' synopsis.

As to the comic strip...It is a integral part the story.

The fact that the twin Earth is a creation by an alien civilization and is being offered to humanity in order to escape their dying Earth is a key element to my outline. Why simply make it another planet that isn't a twin of Earth but can sustain humans? Hasn't such a plot been done in film and television a zillion times before?

By showing that the aliens have not only manufactured another planet for humans but an exact replica indicates the phenomenal technological abilities of the aliens.

I'm not getting the Planet of the Apes similarity with my idea. Perhaps from others contributing their concepts to mine?

Planet of the Dinosaurs & Triffids do share a similarity to my story, but mine is also different enough from those movies to offer something new and fresh.

As for calling it a mash up. Well, many concepts in science fiction films and TV shows can be inspired by ideas from other media but still have their own unique take on the matter so that it isn't a simple case of plagiarism.

The original Battlestar Galactica TV show was inspired by the huge success of Star Wars. Yet BG was enough of its own concepts to not be simply labeled a ripoff of SW. I never thought that BG was well written, but it had its own ideas that were not SW based.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: