ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) Reply with quote

We just watched this on DVD the other night. I was impressed. I'll be buying the Blu-ray.

Now, I haven't been monitoring forums or blogs for these movies, so this may have been brought up (ad nauseam, even?) but something about the antagonist's name set my Spidey sense tingling: Bolivar TRASK. And he's a weapons developer, besides. Q: Now what other weapons developer do we know of in the Marvel universe? A: Tony STARK. (Que theremin.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observation, Mr. O! Very Happy

I haven't seen it yet, but Netflix will be sending it soon. Bulldogtrekker recommends it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if she is Ellen Page and thus given all my benefits of doubts. . .

KITTY PRYDE DOES NOT HAVE THAT FRAKKING SUPERPOWER! Mad Mad Mad

Razz
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this movie last week and enjoyed it very much. I never read the comics, so I don't exactly know what your comment about Kitty Pryde meant. I read up on the character to see it I could figure out your meaning, it I'm still puzzled.

Which is fine, because now we have something to talk about! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I just saw this movie last week and enjoyed it very much. I never read the comics, so I don't exactly know what your comment about Kitty Pryde meant. I read up on the character to see it I could figure out your meaning, it I'm still puzzled.

Which is fine, because now we have something to talk about! Very Happy

Kitty is one of my all-time favorite comics characters because I have great affection for her from when I was a kid.

She has one mutant power: The ability to make herself intangible and phase through things. She's not telepathic, and she has no time-manipulation powers.

Which is fine. They do what they have to do, and it was a good way to use her in the film. But it's not "right".
Laughing
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's about what I figured. Hollywood is famous for doing that. Nothing is sacred.

Imagine what the Bible would be like if those busy little monks who transcribed it for centuries started doing that.

"Brother Gilbert, may I have a moment of your time, please? I've been transcribing all day, and I wish to speak to you about an important matter concerning the book of Genesis."

"Ah, yes, a worthy subject for discussion, Brother Simon. What are you bothered about? A question about theological doctrine? A concern about what God has in store for mankind?"

"Ummm, not exactly. It's the characterization. It's needs a little punching up."

"It . . . it needs what?"

"And the action. It's lame. Nothing really happens until God chases them out of the Garden of Eden and puts that angel with the flaming sword at the entrance."

"But . . . that's what happened. It's . . . scripture."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. But God didn't really write all this Himself, right? Somebody did it for Him. He had, you know, like Holy Ghost Writers do all the work."

"Brother Simon . . . what you're speaking is . . . blasphemy!"

"Blasphemy smashphemy, who's gonna know if we fix it up a little? It's not like we're asking for a writing credit or anything!"

"I . . . I need to talk about this with Father Matthew. I'm not comfortable with what you're suggesting, Brother Simon."

"Okay, never mind. I'll take care of it, myself. I'm sure it won't have a big affect on future generations if I make a few changes. Like that part where Eve is given the thing to eat by the evil creature that lived in the Tree of Knowledge. I think I'll change it to an apple, and the creature should be snake."

"An . . . apple? And a snake?"

"Sure. I just don't like the idea of Eve being tempted by an evil squirrel who tells her to take a bite out of his nuts. That just don't sound real dignified, does it?"

"Oh . . . dear . . . God. I must go pray for your forgiveness, Brother Simon. A very long prayer."

"Sure. Right. Later, Bro. And thanks for the sounding board."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Imagine what the Bible would be like if those busy little monks who transcribed it for centuries started doing that.

Not even gonna touch that one. Nope, nope, nope...

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For verily it is written:

If thou canst say something charitable and kind, it is more pleasing in the eyes of God to hold thy tongue and say nought!

I believe those words were first uttered by that pious creature of God who dwelled in the deep forest, far from the haunts of man and his wicked ways.

His name, as we all know, is —

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Saint Thumper.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__ How X-Men: Days of Future Past Should Have Ended

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched X-Men: Days of Future Past when it came out... and, as it's about time to watch it at home, I've recently acquired the blu-ray of X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut, which has finally dropped in price a bit. I've not opened it yet, but I see it's a two-disc set, with plenty of extras, some new, and not just the alternative 142-minute cut of the movie, but the 126-minute original as well... so plenty of value there! Smile
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great feature for a movie chat. I have the Rogue Cut Blu-ray, too. Let me know if you're interested. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, a little long, but do-able. Just as well I checked here before deciding what to watch this evening! Smile
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ The script called for Logan to wake up in 1973 in boxer shorts. Hugh Jackman vetoed this, in favor of waking nude, saying, "In Australia, if you're next to a really good-looking girl, you're not getting out with boxer shorts on, or briefs, or anything!"

Note from me: Good point, Mr. Jackman! And on TV it's even worse. Couples who are shown in bed after having sex are deliberately shown being clothed to some degree. It's unavoidable, of course, because of the sensors . . . but it sure looks silly! Rolling Eyes

~ Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen were performing in a touring production of "Waiting for Godot" when Bryan Singer approached the actors about reprising their respective roles as Professor X and Magneto. According to McKellen, both men were utterly shocked, as they thought they had passed their roles on to James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, and would never play the characters again. Stewart and McKellen were delighted to return to two of their most popular roles, and to work with the younger actors playing the same characters as well.

Note from me: This element of the plot helps us believe that we're looking at the young and old versions of the same characters.Class (2011), to appear in the same movie together.[/color]

~ Bryan Singer filmed Quicksilver's scenes in a special format of 3,600 frames per second. This means that Quicksilver moved 150 times faster than normal. The camera was used to record close-ups and movements of Evan Peters, as well as the guards he beat.

Note from me: The Quicksilver scenes were mesmerizing because of the clever things they portrayed, like the way he would "climb" through the air by stepping on flying objects frozen in flight.

~ Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen had make-up applied to look twenty years older than their actual ages. They had previously had digital make-up applied to look twenty years younger in X-Men: The Last Stand (2006).

Note from me: One of these days they'll invent a portable device that projects a CGI image of your face that will make it look any way you choose; younger, older, better looking, etc. Then all the plastic surgeons will be out of work! Shocked

~ According to Bryan Singer, he had a two-hour discussion with James Cameron about how to make the time-travel concept feasible and workable within the movie. The concepts the two discussed included quantum physics, alternate universes, and string theory.

Note from me: Gosh, just imagine how disappointed the average viewer would have been if all those advanced concepts hadn't been a big part of the plot. Laughing

~ For her role as Mystique, Jennifer Lawrence wore a special bodysuit. She had previously worn full-body prosthetics in X-Men: First Class (2011), but found that too uncomfortable.

Note from me: Just think, if they made a version of that outfit as a Halloween costume (for female teenage trick-or-treaters), there wouldn't be a piece of candy left in the neighborhood! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays we possess awesome CGI technology that can "de-age," or "age" actors.

Tron: Legacy (2010) de-aged Jeff Bridges via CGI special effects technology, while The Curious Case of Benjamin Button aged Brad Pitt.

Star Trek: Picard did the same thing for actor John de Lancie as his Q character. The scene shows Picard in his home when Q pops in. John's face looks just like it did when he portrayed Q on ST: TNG years ago thanks to CGI. Q observes how Picard looks older since the last time Q saw him. Q offers to "catch up" with Picard and poof, de Lancie appears as he does currently.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used CGI on this 2002 photo of myself, but I have used Paint.net to improve the skin tone, make my eyes greener, added a masked from The Incredibles. and put both an ASF logo and Cubs logo (with sunglasses) when they won the World Series.

All this as done with the plain white pullover I was wearing when the original picture was taken.

I've also put my head on a robot and the body of Captain Marvel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: